Should I Give Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

striveth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation...

Below is a list of the coursework I have taken at my university, I am a transfer student so I have calculated my overall cGPA.

I did poorly at a school (2.0 GPA), transferred out... wen to cc for a couple of years (3.0 GPA) then transferred out and now im back to work for a BS degree...

My credits total to 168.5.... at the institution below I have a GPA of 3.46 and I've taken around 40 credits thus far.

My cGPA now sits at 2.92..... I'm guessing my science GPA sits a little above that at around 3.1/3.33 and is more likely to improve since I haven't taken as many hard sciences overall.

Any advice would be appreciated, currently planning on sitting for the MCAT in august.

ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE I A
ENGLISH LIT B+
PRECALCULUS B+
GENERAL CHEMISTRY 2 B
ETHICS A
BIO 1 C+ =(
APPLIED STATISTICS A
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY B+
GENERAL CHEMISTRY B-
COLLEGE PHYSICS A
CALCULUS I B+

I know the grades aren't stellar, but I'm working really hard in school. According to my calculations, getting a 4.0 for 2 years (12 credits per semester) would only bring my cGPA to a 3.2 and obviously, that's not going to happen looking at the above performance. Although I am going to be in school for another year or so, I still have some time to add some polish.. I really think that I might be able to hit the 3.1 cGPA mark as I have really stepped it up this semester.

Though
I'm starting to think whether or not this was really meant to be, I really enjoy being in the hospital, around doctors and patients. I have the dedication and passion for medicine, but how far must I go? I know there are other occupations in medicine, but I think that I would have that "feeling" of, what if...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply osteopathic, you can then do real repair to your grades by retaking your worst ones. And go slow enough that you actually ace everything....it's not over but it is uphill

Concur with this. An alternative is to get into a SMP, preferably one with given by a medical school.

How far must you go? Enough to prove to an AdCom that you can handle medical school.

And always have a backup plan.

Apply osteopathic, you can then do real repair to your grades by retaking your worst ones. And go slow enough that you actually ace everything....it's not over but it is uphill

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What Post-Bac programs would work for me? Assuming I score above a 28 on the mcat.

Also I've been thinking about froreign medical schools, israel, astralia, carribean (last resort). If I do really well the next couples of years, (bring my cGPA to 3.1+ and sGPA to 3.5+) and get a great MCAT score, what programs would be good for me?

I have an amazing story, would a more prestigious program be possible like bryn mawr?

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding harsh...if you are hoping for a 28 mcat, presitgious md is not your reality. There are a few smp that link to md (fsu has a "bridge" masters") that are not high end and a number of DO schools (lecom)

At the risk of sounding harsh...if you are hoping for a 28 mcat, presitgious md is not your reality. There are a few smp that link to md (fsu has a "bridge" masters") that are not high end and a number of DO schools (lecom)

Yea, thanks. I figured that I would need a 35+ to even stand a chance and still have a low one at that. I'll just give this my best shot and see what happens, thanks all.

Last edited:
Here's the situation...

Below is a list of the coursework I have taken at my university, I am a transfer student so I have calculated my overall cGPA.

I did poorly at a school (2.0 GPA), transferred out... wen to cc for a couple of years (3.0 GPA) then transferred out and now im back to work for a BS degree...

My credits total to 168.5.... at the institution below I have a GPA of 3.46 and I've taken around 40 credits thus far.

My cGPA now sits at 2.92..... I'm guessing my science GPA sits a little above that at around 3.1/3.33 and is more likely to improve since I haven't taken as many hard sciences overall.

Any advice would be appreciated, currently planning on sitting for the MCAT in august.

ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE I A
ENGLISH LIT B+
PRECALCULUS B+
GENERAL CHEMISTRY 2 B
ETHICS A
BIO 1 C+ =(
APPLIED STATISTICS A
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY B+
GENERAL CHEMISTRY B-
COLLEGE PHYSICS A
CALCULUS I B+

I know the grades aren't stellar, but I'm working really hard in school. According to my calculations, getting a 4.0 for 2 years (12 credits per semester) would only bring my cGPA to a 3.2 and obviously, that's not going to happen looking at the above performance. Although I am going to be in school for another year or so, I still have some time to add some polish.. I really think that I might be able to hit the 3.1 cGPA mark as I have really stepped it up this semester.

Though
I'm starting to think whether or not this was really meant to be, I really enjoy being in the hospital, around doctors and patients. I have the dedication and passion for medicine, but how far must I go? I know there are other occupations in medicine, but I think that I would have that "feeling" of, what if...

the list of specific grades you gave looks quite decent, but your cGPA is very low. do well on the MCAT, and do either a postbacc or smp. definitely dont give up.

Yea, thanks. I figured that I would need a 33/35+ I'll just give this my best shot and see what happens, thanks all.

I want to be clear that this is do-able...you have a real chance at being "Dr. Striveth", you prob won't have a john's hopkins degree on the wall but I can't tell you where any of my doctors went to school

I want to be clear that this is do-able...you have a real chance at being "Dr. Striveth", you prob won't have a john's hopkins degree on the wall but I can't tell you where any of my doctors went to school

Thanks, I know you're right. I just gotta prove it. :rolleyes:

I also have backup plans. I really enjoy being abroad, and thus wouldn't mind studying in israel (Sackler, Technion, BGU).

Another question, even if I get my sGPA up to 3.5 or 3.6, and my cGPA to 3.1 wont my app still get tossed by most schools, so how will an SMP help my app from getting seen?

Last edited: