Should I go for a masters degree or straight in for Psyd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golightning

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am Zach. Currently, I am a 22 year old junior at a small college called Fayetteville State. My current major is a BS in Psychology. Ever since I took my first psychology class, I have been hooked. However, I am kind of torn where to go after this. For the longest time, I had assumed masters degree credits took up some doctoral credits, but after talking with a friend in a PsyD program, I learned that may not be the case. I would be lying if I didn't say that I am already starting to feel a little burned out, but obviously need at least a masters to make any money. Would you guys go for a masters in clinical counseling or just straight ahead? Another thing, if any of you are psychiatry students. How tolerable is med school for a psych major? I took general biology and it bored the crap out of me (though I aced it), so it's safe for me to assume that it'd be four years of suck before the residency that'd actually keep me happy. Thanks though! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I didn't intend the part about taking general biology to come off as I mastered biology haha. I heard it after I posted, so just know I added it to say that I have experienced a little about biology (though I know there's way more to bio than just general) and wasn't amused so I don't know if I'd have it for the advanced bio
s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am Zach. Currently, I am a 22 year old junior at a small college called Fayetteville State. My current major is a BS in Psychology. Ever since I took my first psychology class, I have been hooked. However, I am kind of torn where to go after this. For the longest time, I had assumed masters degree credits took up some doctoral credits, but after talking with a friend in a PsyD program, I learned that may not be the case. I would be lying if I didn't say that I am already starting to feel a little burned out, but obviously need at least a masters to make any money.

If you're already feeling "burned out" from undergrad and you're not even finished, med school and grad school might not be a great idea right now. They are both a lot of work and can burn you out by themselves without already feeling that way from undergrad. It might be good to take a gap year or two to save some money and get a break from school, but there is also something to be said about not losing momentum by being out of school for too long. It all really depends on you as a person and what you qualifications are so far for grad school or med school.

You should read the guides in the stickied thread Wisneuro linked for more information about clinical psychology, PsyD vs PhD programs, etc.

Would you guys go for a masters in clinical counseling or just straight ahead?

What exactly do you want to do for a career? Teach? Research? Provide clinical services?

As you seem to have already been informed by your friend, master's degrees won't take off many credits for a doctoral program, though that is more dependent on the programs individually. From what I've seen, many counseling programs more commonly admit students who already have master's degrees in counseling and possibly have work experience providing counseling. I'm not sure if this means that you will be exempt from coursework or completing a master's thesis during the doctoral program. In clinical psychology, some programs will give you more credit for master's degrees than others, e.g. exempting you from more classes, but they'll still generally require that you complete another thesis in their program. Students entering clinical programs will sometimes have master's degrees from experimental psych or clinical psych programs that require empirical research-based theses. These programs allow them to get the research experience and productivity, e.g. publications and posters, while also demonstrating that they can perform well in graduate level coursework to make them competitive for admission to good programs.

Whether you should get a master's degree before going to a doctoral program is mostly dependent on what your qualifications and resume will look like by the end of undergrad. If you don't have much research experience, but have a good undergrad GPA, getting an RA job for a couple years after you graduate would probably be sufficient. If your undergrad GPA is lacking, you might want to do a master's program regardless of how much research experience you have.

Another thing, if any of you are psychiatry students. How tolerable is med school for a psych major? I took general biology and it bored the crap out of me (though I aced it), so it's safe for me to assume that it'd be four years of suck before the residency that'd actually keep me happy. Thanks though! :)

To get into med school, you need to take quite a few lab science courses in biology, physics, and chemistry and general bio is probably the easiest of them. The organic chemistry courses are generally the most difficult for most students and are often the point at which students reconsider going to med school.

To preface this, I'm a senior in undergraduate school applying for PhD programs in clinical psychology who once aspired to be a psychiatrist the first year and a half of undergrad.

I think what you need to do is assess your goals. What do you want to do in your career? Because psychiatry, a masters and to an extent psyD, are fairly different paths. I think carefully evaluating what kind of things you want to do on a daily basis will really get you in the right direction.

Another note, if you're a junior and you've only taken general biology, you have a long route ahead of you if you decide to go the psychiatrist route. Maybe it's changed, but I remember when I was going the premed direction, I needed 4 years of chemistry (gen Chem, organic chem, biochem etc.) and also a wide array of biology courses such as molecular biology, genetics, anatomy, vertebrate physiology, etc. What I'm saying is that I have a biology minor, so I've taken quite a bit of biology classes (way more than I need for my minor because I love biology) and it would still take me 4 years, or 8 semesters, before I could go to medical school. Also, I turned away from the psychiatrist route not due to inability (I too aced my biology and chemistry classes), but because I realized that my career goals would better fit with a clinical psychology PhD and that most of my medical school training would be spent without much psychology at all. I just couldn't stand that thought, so I can't even imagine trying to do medical school without psychology and hating biology (like you).

That's a long-winded answer for what is really just an opinion, but I hope at least something I said helped.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly do you want to do for a career? Teach? Research? Provide clinical services?

That is what I am asking myself at the moment. I feel like I should know exactly where I want to be at my age, but I guess I only really know where I don't want to be. I don't want to work at prisons, research is probably out too, so realistically, providing clinical services or maybe teaching (which I heard a PhD is better for) would be my ideal careers. I think the only real think that makes me desire psychiatry is the ability to prescribe medication though because I think that is a huge plus.

That is what I am asking myself at the moment. I feel like I should know exactly where I want to be at my age, but I guess I only really know where I don't want to be. I don't want to work at prisons, research is probably out too, so realistically, providing clinical services or maybe teaching (which I heard a PhD is better for) would be my ideal careers. I think the only real think that makes me desire psychiatry is the ability to prescribe medication though because I think that is a huge plus.

There are a few states which allow psychologists to prescribe medication. Also do you know what populations and specific services you'd like to provide? If you can figure this out then you'd be able to determine if you can stop at the master's level. There are many people who work as a LSCW or LMFT.

I'd also like to echo smalltownpsy in that its hard to switch to pre-med track due to the amount of classes required. I started as pre-med then graduated with a psychology B.S with a bio minor and while I enjoyed the classes (and realized that i'd get more out of a PhD) it was not easy. If you're already burned out then it may be better to take time off and use your last semester to talk to an advisor/search the forums and look into RA positions/shadowing or post-bac opportunities if going the med-school or PsyD route (more so if you have no/little research experience).

There are a few states which allow psychologists to prescribe medication. Also do you know what populations and specific services you'd like to provide? If you can figure this out then you'd be able to determine if you can stop at the master's level. There are many people who work as a LSCW or LMFT.

I'd also like to echo smalltownpsy in that its hard to switch to pre-med track due to the amount of classes required. I started as pre-med then graduated with a psychology B.S with a bio minor and while I enjoyed the classes (and realized that i'd get more out of a PhD) it was not easy. If you're already burned out then it may be better to take time off and use your last semester to talk to an advisor/search the forums and look into RA positions/shadowing or post-bac opportunities if going the med-school or PsyD route (more so if you have no/little research experience).
Wow, I did not know that there were states that psychologists could prescribe medication in. I am not trying to sound cheesy, but as someone with crohns and a history of anxiety since the high school days, I'd love to get into helping youth with mental disabilities. I actually might try to find someone who would allow me to shadow because I'd love to knock off things I find out I don't enjoy rather than getting in debt from grad school and hating it. How does one find opportunities to shadow though? Like, should I call the local hospital or?

Wow, I did not know that there were states that psychologists could prescribe medication in. I am not trying to sound cheesy, but as someone with crohns and a history of anxiety since the high school days, I'd love to get into helping youth with mental disabilities. I actually might try to find someone who would allow me to shadow because I'd love to knock off things I find out I don't enjoy rather than getting in debt from grad school and hating it. How does one find opportunities to shadow though? Like, should I call the local hospital or?

Shadowing is definitely an option. I worked in a variety of different roles (pharmacy tech, med assistant, psychiatric tech, child advocate) in order to get a handle on what each path might look like (seeing a pharmacist/physician/psychiatrist in particular/social worker in day to day activities). While I worked, I joined a lab in the psychology department to see the research side of clinical psych, and to gain the requisite experience needed for PhD programs. I took a longer road (vs. some my age who went straight to grad school or med school), but I'm really glad I did, as I gained a lot of skills along the way and am 100% certain it's the right field for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe its only three states so far but there's a growing push for it.

Hmm the issue is its hard for bachelors level students to get great clinical experience but maybe crisis hotline or some sort of youth outreach/mentorship program that is evidence based/summer camp for kids with disabilities? University and local hospitals tend to have volunteer departments so they should be able to give you details on whether they allow shadowing (or if you have a network/connections they can push it through for you). Though you aren't a fan of research, more medical based labs (oncology etc) may have shadowing components because its understood that tose RAs are likely to head to med school

I believe its only three states so far but there's a growing push for it.

Hmm the issue is its hard for bachelors level students to get great clinical experience but maybe crisis hotline or some sort of youth outreach/mentorship program that is evidence based/summer camp for kids with disabilities? University and local hospitals tend to have volunteer departments so they should be able to give you details on whether they allow shadowing (or if you have a network/connections they can push it through for you). Though you aren't a fan of research, more medical based labs (oncology etc) may have shadowing components because its understood that tose RAs are likely to head to med school
What's funny is when I was in my freshman year, my father, who does HVAC, had ended up severing every tendon in his hand on metal sheeting. After going through surgery they had sent him to an Occupational Therapist for a few months. At that time, in English 101, we had to shadow a professional. I asked the therapist and the hospital if it'd be fine if I did my paper on them, to which they accepted, and that was a very awakening experience. It had absolutely nothing to do with psychology (really should've picked a psychologist or psychiatrist in hindsight, but hey, it's 20/20), but it definitely put things into perspective to me. I do wonder though if, since they allowed me to do it once, they'd allow me to do it at one of their affiliates, i.e. the psychiatric center of the hospital. I definitely will have to ask them though, but I can understand getting denied because of privacy and all.