Should I go for my PsyD or get a MA in counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psychology78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what I should do... my goals are to establish a private practice and focus on counseling. But what are the differences in the PsyD which is practice based training....vs. a MA degree in counseling? Everyone keeps telling me... if it's counseling you want to do then stick with an MA in counseling. But if that were the case.. why would anyone bother with a PsyD?? What are the substantive differences between the two? Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering what I should do... my goals are to establish a private practice and focus on counseling. But what are the differences in the PsyD which is practice based training....vs. a MA degree in counseling? Everyone keeps telling me... if it's counseling you want to do then stick with an MA in counseling. But if that were the case.. why would anyone bother with a PsyD?? What are the substantive differences between the two? Thanks so much!!

They are two very different degrees, with two very different purposes.

Please do a search first, as the topic of MS/MSW vs. Psy.D. vs. Ph.D. has been covered many times before. Feel free to bump one of the other threads with your inquiries.

Status
Not open for further replies.