Should I go for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jewel2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I think about whether or not I should go for residency I came across few questions to which I would like to know the answers..
Any advice or sharing your experience would be very much appreciated.
How is the job prospect for those who completed PGY1?
Also, did almost all the people matched last year have work experience?

Members don't see this ad.

As I think about whether or not I should go for residency I came across few questions to which I would like to know the answers..
Any advice or sharing your experience would be very much appreciated.
How is the job prospect for those who completed PGY1?
Also, did almost all the people matched last year have work experience?

Everyone I know who matched last year had some kind of pharmacy work experience. Doesn't necessarily have to be hospital though. 3 out of 4 residents in my program just have retail experience, but seems like all of us have done something else to make us stand out (student orgs, posters, unique rotations or rotations at the site that went well).

As far as jobs, 2 of the previous residents in my program went for pgy2s, 1 got a job and 1 got a temporary job at the hospital to cover for someone who went on leave.

I can't speak too much for job prospect, likely depends on location. At my program, the residents from last year all got jobs (2 within the same network, 1 within the same city). However, the job market is generally better than average in this region.

Regarding work experience, I don't know of anyone who matched that did not have any work experience (this could just be because my school has a co-op program, so everyone had some extent of experience). Out of my co-residents, 2/3 of us have a couple years of hospital experience, while one resident has several years of outpatient experience. I agree that if you have work experience that is not inpatient, you just need to stand out in some other ways. Or try to get more inpatient rotations during your P4 year.