Should I go for the A+ ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JIMMYJOHNivy

Arimasan
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that A+'s are indistinguishable from A's when it comes to AMCAS gpa.

I can't help but wonder though, would a transcript filled with A+'s help a student's application? Do adcoms really only look at the numerical gpa or do they notice A+'s (given the students earned a lot of them).

Reason for my question is that I've received many A+'s in the past. Not sure whether I should continue the trend next semester or settle for A's since A+'s do require a bit more effort.

@LizzyM
@gyngyn
@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think it’ll help at all. Might help for the MCAT if you learned the material better.

Always strive to do your best. If you are capable of getting the A+ then get the A+
I don’t know why you’d try for anything less

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A similar question of mine is that: does A+ on the transcript for post-bacc make any difference for low-UG GPAers? I know A+ is weighted the same as As GPA-wise, but would having a few of them on the post-bacc classes help to at least give a better impression for upward trend?

Always strive to do your best. If you are capable of getting the A+ then get the A+
I don’t know why you’d try for anything less

Because the added stress and time investment might not be worth it if adcoms don't care about A+'s?

Reactions: 1 user
the bat signal is not a toy my dude

Don't earn A+ at the expense of experiences that are highly valued by adcoms such as volunteerism, teamwork and leadership, and fun.

Lol didn't know that adcoms valued fun.

Anyways, so I'm assuming A+'s are valued to some extent then?

Lol didn't know that adcoms valued fun.

Anyways, so I'm assuming A+'s are valued to some extent then?

No, they have no value above the value assigned to a grade of A.

Fun counts enough that one tag in the experience section is for "hobbies and advocations". What you do for fun is very important to adcoms because having some healthy way to shed stress and relax is important to one's survival in med school and beyond.

Reactions: 3 users

I can't help but wonder though, would a transcript filled with A+'s help a student's application? Do adcoms really only look at the numerical gpa or do they notice A+'s (given the students earned a lot of them).

Reason for my question is that I've received many A+'s in the past. Not sure whether I should continue the trend next semester or settle for A's since A+'s do require a bit more effort.

@LizzyM
@gyngyn
@Goro
We don't even see the +'s.

The A+s do show up on your AMCAS application, they just don't factor into your GPA. Probably the biggest thing they do is they let your professor write you an even stronger letter, but someone will probably at least notice them when reading through your file, but overall not terribly high yield I'd imagine.

Not all schools offer A+ses, so even if the majority of emphasis wasn’t on GPA alone, I doubt you’d get a significant leg up from it.

I'm guessing OP is either a troll or a freshman, but honestly if I saw too many A+s on a transcript I might question the difficulty level of the classes they were taking (or if excessive amounts of extra credit were being offered). One of my friends at my undergrad had the literal highest GPA possible of her class year (she got an award for it) and while she was a brilliant superhuman, even she missed enough points here and there that she couldn't get straight A+s.

I wouldn't waste the time if you could put that time to better use to further yourself academically. If not, strive for excellence, and it will reward you later in the form of knowledge.

Doesn't this matter for latin honors ?

@LizzyM
@gyngyn
@Goro
We see the 4.0, not the plusses. Seriously, chill about this...just do well.