should I go into med school with these reasons...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in no particular order...
1. money; in need to pay off my undergrad loans and live a comfortable lifestyle when I get older
2. I really want to help people through psychiatry since I am a patient myself I understand
3. my parents and family want me to, and would like me more because of it
4. respect...that comes from everyone around you...doctors are seen as Gods pretty much
5. to prove to myself that I can do it, that I'm intelligent and smart...to prove to myself that I did not give up on something I've wanted for so long and haven't thought about what else i could see myself doing
6. I love learning about the body, but hate physics, chem, and possibly ochem when i take it
7. my crush would like me/respect me more if I was going to med school to become a doc

* the title seems a little awkward but what I meant was ...should I go into medicine if these are my reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

8 is especially compelling.

4. respect...that comes from everyone around you...doctors are seen as Gods pretty much

:laugh:

My favorite one of all. If only insurance companies and malpractice lawyers were as naive as you lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
1, 3, 4, and 7 are not great reasons.

1 is okay if you mean financial stability/ability to live a comfortable life later on. But not to be a millionaire.

4??? respect is dropping faster than a skydiver...plenty of articles about it not just my opinion

This thread is precious...but generally fail.

1. money; in need to pay off my undergrad loans and live a comfortable lifestyle when I get older
2. I really want to help people through psychiatry since I am a patient myself I understand
5. to prove to myself that I can do it, that I'm intelligent and smart...to prove to myself that I did not give up on something I've wanted for so long and haven't thought about what else i could see myself doing
6. I love learning about the body, but hate physics, chem, and possibly ochem when i take it
7. my crush would like me/respect me more if I was going to med school to become a doc

* the title seems a little awkward but what I meant was ...should I go into medicine if these are my reasons?

ur funny :laugh:

If you have to make a list of reasons why to go to med school, you probably shouldn't go (or you should at least spend considerable time researching other careers).

I am going because I absolutely don't want to do anything else. No list needed.

Did you google "Top 7 reasons not to go into medicine?"

Great reasons all...be sure to list them in your personal statement, too, especially the Stuart Smalley-esque #5...

Oh, and f### your parents (RE #3)

the second half of number 5 is pretty much the only legit reason, cmon your crush will like you more, wtf? How old are you 15? I dont think I ever had a crush, unless it was one of the delicious orange sodas.

You realize that your medical school loans will dwarf your undergrad loans right?

Members don't see this ad :)
You realize that your medical school loans will dwarf your undergrad loans right?

yeah, but in the grand scheme of things after one starts practicing, and getting 100,000+ per year, undergrad plus med school would be totally payable as it would only take a year's worth of work to pay off all the loans from undergrad and med school.

4??? respect is dropping faster than a skydiver...plenty of articles about it not just my opinion

you know, this is something I read on SDN, but every time in real life that I tell someone (albeit reluctantly) that I'm going to medical school they are genuinely supportive and mention what a great thing it will be to practice medicine. :thumbup:

These are officially the worst reasons I have ever seen. You are in for a big surprise if you actually manage to get an Adcom to let you in.
And good luck with your crush. :smuggrin:

Okay you really need to stop making thread after thread. No one is going to give you the answers to your life questions. You said you're taking a break from premed so do and and just chill for a while.'

Just stopping premed alone won't stop you from going crazy, making thread after thread asking if you should go into medicine will make you and us crazy.

Just chill and let it go for a while. Go outside and enjoy life away from the computer, it's a beautiful thing:D

I hope your parents like you regardless of what you decide to do with your life, that is kind of sad :(

And it takes YEARS to get into med school (you said you haven't taken ochem yet), I really hope you don't plan on stalking your crush for the next 3 years. Creepy and borderline illegal (med schools don't like felons).

Do what you WANT to do, not what people think is cool. This isn't high school.

I hope your parents like you regardless of what you decide to do with your life, that is kind of sad :(

And it takes YEARS to get into med school (you said you haven't taken ochem yet), I really hope you don't plan on stalking your crush for the next 3 years. Creepy and borderline illegal (med schools don't like felons).

Do what you WANT to do, not what people think is cool. This isn't high school.

WHAT?!?!?!

Everybody keeps telling me that med school is the new high school. That's the only reason I'm going...

*declining my acceptances as we speak*

1) Yes, depending on what you define to be "comfortable"
2)ehh, its an alright reason, as long as you are realistic about it
3)NO NO NO, ridiculous
4)horrible reason
5)NO, medicine is not the best way to go about this
6)I got news for you... Medicine actually uses a little bit of science, its not all wizardry
7)I laughed when I read this one
8)Best reason you have

Good Luck!!!

You started a thread just a few days ago about how you are going to take a break from pre-med. Do that. Posting on SDN is not a break.

Oh, and I think a majority of your reasons are just optimist dreaming. You need to become a doctor so that you can prove your self-worth? That is horrible. This is a career choice, not a summer job at wendy's. You're talking about what you're going to do for for at least the next 25 years. Most of your reasons sound like if/when you become a doctor your life might as well be over. You've done it all, why even go to work.

Eh, thats just how I feel. :p

Obviously a troll. No one's that dumb.

epic_fail.jpg

My answers, in a very particular order...
1. No. Go to business school. Next.
2. Yes
3. No. If your parents need reasons to "like [you] more" then they are probably not very good ones.
4. To some extent maybe, but FYI - doctors are not seen as gods.
5. I guess so... make sure to use this little monologue in your PS!
6. I guess it's a good reason, but I'm a little alarmed that you already hate ochem without even taking it. Good luck there...
7. I would recommend doing anything possible to get "ur crush" to like you, even if it means spending years of your young life in classrooms, going several hundred thousands of dollars into debt, and entering a career that is not right for you. :smuggrin:
8. ?????

My answers, in a very particular order...
1. No. Go to business school. Next.
2. Yes
3. No. If your parents need reasons to "like [you] more" then they are probably not very good ones.
4. To some extent maybe, but FYI - doctors are not seen as gods.
5. I guess so... make sure to use this little monologue in your PS!
6. I guess it's a good reason, but I'm a little alarmed that you already hate ochem without even taking it. Good luck there...
7. I would recommend doing anything possible to get "ur crush" to like you, even if it means spending years of your young life in classrooms, going several hundred thousands of dollars into debt, and entering a career that is not right for you. :smuggrin:
8. ?????

Have you ever considered that the OP may not be particularly likeable? Surely you shouldn't just jump on the parents here.

While I'm not saying that you should or should not try to get into med school since that is only something that you can decide for yourself; I will say that having to sit down and write a list of pros and having a good portion of those reasons be so that you can gain respect from people who are meaningful in your life (i.e. family members, crushes) is somewhat concerning. The best way to go into medical school is to have confidence and respect for yourself because you are certainly going to need that through your training, which is grueling.

Definitely don't go into it for the money, because although you will most likely be financially comfortable, the amount of work that you put into your work and the amount of money you get in return isn't what you think of it. In addition, it will be at least 7 years of financial woes and Ramen until you even see a decent paycheck, which you can then sign over to your lenders because you will owe them an outrageous amount of money after all is said and done. You may think that you're borrowing a certain amount of money, but after the interest builds up, you will have found that you are in a deeper hole than you started in.

Medical school will not make you feel smarter-- it will make you feel dumber. Much dumber. Being surrounded by incredibly bright people all day every day who were at the top of their class at top colleges and being pounded with endless volumes of random information will make you feel incredibly stupid. Medical school is not good for boosting your self-esteem. I am waiting for the day that my classmates find me naked in the corner of my room in the fetal position chanting random anatomical references from Netter's.

So chew on these thoughts for a little while. You definitely don't have to make a decision today or tomorrow, or even next year. Talk to your psychiatrist and see what he/she thinks. Get yourself healthy, find out exactly what you want to do with your life, shadow some doctors and see what this entire path entails. I would suggest that you don't enter medical school with the intent of just entering the field of psychiatry. I think that it would be a lot easier if you loved medicine in general because if you go into med school thinking that you are just going to do psych and that's all you're there for, and then you end up hating the field, well then you're completely screwed.

Good luck.

Well I laughed out loud, this deserves a ROLF COPTER

.......................__ ............
......<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___\
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/.

As a pod student, I think all of your reasons are really puerile.

P.S. I really :love: that ROFL Copter!

Seems to me like you started this to help you find a reason not to pursue medicine. I'm thinking you made up your mind, and wanted people to tell you that you had the "wrong" reasons.
Not trying to be cynical/rude BUT; if you HAVE reached a decision to not continue, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that/ you don't need it seconded, whatever your reasons are, if its good enough for you, at this point in your "career" [I use the term loosely], it doesn't have to be good enough for anyone else.

How do you figure you can pay back your loans off with one year? You know you will have living expenses, taxes, and possibly a family to take care of right?

Paying off loans doesn't work that way.

People don't respect someone JUST because she is a doctor. Doctors aren't gods.

No one, not even your parents are going to love you more because of a job.

You might think this is what they want from you, but any normal parent would rather have their daughter alive and healthy.

The guy was your boyfriend for ONE DAY a year ago. Tell your thoughts about him to your therapist. S/he needs to know how strongly you are hanging on to this relationship that didn't develop.

I think this desire you have to prove to impress others and yourself by your choice of job is getting in your way of all of you enjoying you for who you really are.

lightthecandle, your thinking might seem rational to you, but it's not. I urge you to stop asking these questions on here and go talk to your therapist.

Although this is a support forum, I think it is the wrong place for you to be asking advice. You really need to talk to your psychologist and your psychiatrist. They are much better equipped to help you than any of us.

I really do wish you the best.

Lightthecandle The Game: Money, Power, Respect, Crushes?

In the epic new game released by Rockstar, step into the shoes of Dr.Lightthecandle as he take on an epic journey to become a doctor. Complete challenging mission taken from a variety of people in the medical establishment. Fun mission including stealing bodyparts from General Anatomy lab, control remote-controlled drones which can fly into the professor's office, and becoming better known to your crush.

The crush system: As you complete more credit hours, special "crush mission" may open, which you have to overcome your nervousness and talk to the lady in person. It's hard, but don't despair! She might even invite you for coffee, one day.

Money: Your money count in the game is actually negative, try your best to bring it to zero!

Respect: You can recruit medical assistants and nurses by walking near them and press the triangle key.

You might think this is what they want from you, but any normal parent would rather have their daughter alive and healthy.

The guy was your boyfriend for ONE DAY a year ago. Tell your thoughts about him to your therapist. S/he needs to know how strongly you are hanging on to this relationship that didn't develop.

I think this desire you have to prove to impress others and yourself by your choice of job is getting in your way of all of you enjoying you for who you really are.

lightthecandle, your thinking might seem rational to you, but it's not. I urge you to stop asking these questions on here and go talk to your therapist.

Although this is a support forum, I think it is the wrong place for you to be asking advice. You really need to talk to your psychologist and your psychiatrist. They are much better equipped to help you than any of us.

I am so glad you repeated that three times. Because after reading the OP's post, I had a hand-in-palm moment.

first of all, yes this is something I"m talking to my therapist, and psychiatrist currently about.

I don't understand why this would NOT be the place to ask these questions. I'm just wondering if these are good enough reasons to go down this long difficult path of becoming a physician because of I'm unsure about it right now.

...even though i went out with him for a day and haven't seen him in over a year, I'm still in love and would do anything to have him back..even if it means med school

...even though i went out with him for a day and haven't seen him in over a year, I'm still in love and would do anything to have him back..even if it means med school

Are you serious? This may sound harsh, but for your own sake, get over him. How do you even know you love this person?

first of all, yes this is something I"m talking to my therapist, and psychiatrist currently about.

I don't understand why this would NOT be the place to ask these questions. I'm just wondering if these are good enough reasons to go down this long difficult path of becoming a physician because of I'm unsure about it right now.

um...no your reasons are not "good enough"... they are horrible reasons to go into medicine. You obviously are having some serious emotional issues going on right now, and med school should be the least of your worries. Why don't you come back to SDN in a couple years when your life is in order.

WTF, are you kidding me. One day and your in love:eek: Either you've been watching too many Disney movies or the Match.com commericals really are true. But either way don't go to med school for anyone but yourself. That is way to extreme. If he asked you for an organ would you give it up to get him back? Rhetorical, don't answer that

WTF, are you kidding me. One day and your in love:eek: Either you've been watching too many Disney movies or the Match.com commericals really are true. But either way don't go to med school for anyone but yourself. That is way to extreme. If he asked you for an organ would you give it up to get him back? Rhetorical, don't answer that

woah, woah, woah. I never said he's the only reason or the main reason...just another reason I suppose.

and of course I want to go to med school for ME and ME first. I'm not doing it for anyone but ME. everyone else to impress is just like icing on a cake, which is not needed but would be nice

Going to med school won't get him back. He was never yours. What you describe isn't love; it's obsession. That is not healthy. You area also mixing two obsessive thoughts - having him love you and becoming a doctor. Neither one is going to make the other happen. Do you agree or disagree?

Going to med school won't get him back. He was never yours. What you describe isn't love; it's obsession. That is not healthy. You area also mixing two obsessive thoughts - having him love you and becoming a doctor. Neither one is going to make the other happen. Do you agree or disagree?

I'm learning to accept this, but its hard.
but do you guys really think its an obsession? I mean I do think of him an AWFUL LOT, but I never thought it as an obsession.

but the only thing is I really do want to go to med school...but my grades have shown otherwise, and I don't know if I will be able to handle the enormous stress med school brings and end up dropping out and being miserable. alot of people tell me "don't give up. ever" and then others tell me to just quit, and I just don't know who to believe anymore

do I want to become a doctor for MYSELF. Heck yeah, but again, I don't know if I'd be able to handle the long haul. everyone always says...if that's where your heart is then don't give up. and that is where my heart is...but being ready for that much dedication is disheartening

Hey light, have you done any volunteering/shadowing at a hospital?

Hey light, have you done any volunteering/shadowing at a hospital?

yeah, I've done some shadowing last year for 2 weeks, and some volunteering for 2 days, worked at a doctor's office for a summer, SMDEP at Virginia.

i'm currently volunteering with Big Bro/sis that's about all

it's impossible to do any volunteering near the hospital because its full of premeds already volunteering

I'm learning to accept this, but its hard.
but do you guys really think its an obsession? I mean I do think of him an AWFUL LOT, but I never thought it as an obsession.

but the only thing is I really do want to go to med school...but my grades have shown otherwise, and I don't know if I will be able to handle the enormous stress med school brings and end up dropping out and being miserable. alot of people tell me "don't give up. ever" and then others tell me to just quit, and I just don't know who to believe anymore

do I want to become a doctor for MYSELF. Heck yeah, but again, I don't know if I'd be able to handle the long haul. everyone always says...if that's where your heart is then don't give up. and that is where my heart is...but being ready for that much dedication is disheartening

Yeah, it does sound like an obsession. And all of that "thinking" about a guy you dated for a day and haven't seen for a year, having a disorder like bipolar disorder, taking premed classes, AND posting on SDN is a deadly combo.

I think most of your premed problems are tied to this guy, stop thinking about him for a bit and I'll bet you the grades turn around.