1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I go into medicine?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ChadC, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ChadC

ChadC Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Ok, that's a very general title so I'll elaborate:

I'm a high school senior. I've always excelled in sciences and I know I will have a career in a field of science. I'm a very obsessive/determined person. I'll be going to either a private division 2 school or University of South Carolina (I haven't made my mind up yet). Both schools are strong in science fields and have high acceptance rates into medical schools. I've got great people skills. I actually work best under pressure and I've got fairly good leadership skills.

Are there any qualities that a person MUST have to excell as a MD?

thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    annoying...check
    over prepared...check
    over worried...check
    virgin....check
    You'll make a fine pre-med and maybe someday a med student. Im sure you'll go on to over think everything and annoy people arround you for years to come. Good luck.

4. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are a little premature in asking this question. Experience the field more(volunteer, research, actual undergrad science courses) then come up with the answer on your own. Nobody on an internet forum will be able to tell you from a paragraph description.

5. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're still in high school go see your career / guidance counselor. Those resources will be handy in helping you find your path in life.

6. t33sg1rl

t33sg1rl Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Being a med student/doctor is nothing like public perception or TV. I'd strongly advise you to 1) volunteer in a hospital/free clinic/ER and start logging hours, and 2) shadow a physician. These will both be essentially required for your med school application, so you'd have to do them anyway. Getting them done early will help you make your decision.

7. ChadC

ChadC Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the advice.

8. There are no absolutes. Maybe literacy.... unless you're blind.

9. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow. Anxious already- you'll fit riiiiiiight in.

1.) Volunteer in a medical office or hospital. Never know if you'll like it til you try it.

2.) Wait and see how you feel with the science courses in college. As a non-trad, I can tell you that high school science and college level classes are a wee bit different, challenge-wise.

3.) Don't get so stressed out that you forget to enjoy college life. Ulcers will come in med school.

Best of luck to you!

10. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    unless you find some other passion during undergrad, default to medicine. its the best default career choice if youre up to the task. financial safety, respect, intelligent peers, interesting subject matter, whats not to like. except death, blood, gore, hard work, lots of studying...but thats where being up to the task comes into play. truly saving someones life has to be pretty satisfying, on the flip side.

dont listen to flamers, its good youre thinking about the future early. it should put you at an advantage compared to other average people. just dont obsess too much about it or everyone will hate you and youll miss out on the college experience. but i dont want to sound preachy.

qualities to excel as an MD: great memory, grace under fire, good leadership to boss around the other healthcare professionals as needed, quick and sound decision making ability. dexterity, stamina. verbal proficiency. recognizing patterns. inductive and deductive reasoning, intuition. confidence.

dont ask premeds, you will get bad responses. ask real docs. dont ask premed advisors either, bad too. or premed clubs or classmates. ask cool docs, preferably in private practice. or ask on other parts of SDN. not here, big mistake. i cannot stress enough the importance of asking the right ppl vs asking the wrong ppl. who knows, it could change your life, butterfly effect and all.

11. oompa loompa

oompa loompa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

great encouraging post, shredder :thumbup: . I just might add, whatever you do on SDN, do NOT post about your love for medicine in the lounge or you'll get torn apart. Med students are bitter and exaggerate their despair sometimes.

12. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pick a major and enter college as pre-med. While in college, be sure to volunteer directly with patients. If you like helping sick people, you'll like medicine.

13. omgwtfbbq?

omgwtfbbq? yes, really, I'm a girl
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Volunteering is the best way to go Don't overthink, oh no!what specialty do I want to be? who should i shadow? just go volunteer at the local hospital. do ANYTHING. go to a kids hospital go to a regular hospital, let that be the biggest decision you make for your first volunteer job.

14. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if high school counselors knew the road to success they would have taken it. largely the same with college counselors

OP thats why you should try to limit requests for advice to people who are already in or near the positions you envision yourself one day occupying

as for me im firmly anti volunteering, i say do intensive shadowing and interesting medically related research instead. i think the push for volunteering is all political. ask docs from 20 years ago and you wont hear of it.
    this is the tempting and easy answer to give, but if one wants to excel as an MD there are definitely absolutes, or at least for all practical purposes they are absolutes. no absolutes is like saying you dont have to be tall to be in the NBA, or you dont have to be good looking to be a celebrity. there are exceptions but you shouldnt plan a future on being one of them.

15. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    [​IMG]

Shredder, you should go back to the Trumpster for your avitar. All this "pro-christ" merry christmas vs. seasons greetings is pretty pathetic.

If you have a faith, then stick to it, you don't need to have the old men at the doors of each WalMart reassuring you that Christmas is coming soon or that Jesus is Lord or God or God's son... which ever it is.

Half of the people who get into the holiday "spirit" really only spend their time shopping and wasting money. The truly faithful shouldn't stress over such materialistic and phoney things and just thank god- and you don't need to designate a specific day for this.

I am not trying to start anything, its just been on my chest and find that its even made its way onto SDN. Either way, I sense some flaming responses coming soon... :laugh:

Enjoy your holiday!

16. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Being from south carolina, you should be set for med school whenever you are ready or have made a decision. If you were from California or MA (where states schools are hard to get into, then its better to start soon).

You have time, gain some exposure and make sure you come to a conclusion on your own.

17. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

i swear i see threads like these every other day. i vote a stickie be made for high school students. it saves me the pain of seeing their posts every other day, it saves them the energy it takes to create and check a new post. win win! :)

18. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think it shows inititiative and its a million times better than what are my chances threads. a sticky might be ok, but im not sure if the frequency of high school posts merits it.

19. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nor the frequency of people bothering to read a sticky before making their own thread.

20. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

yea i guess you can say that. might be a bit neurotic but hey neurotic people make good doctors?? lol i remember back in the day when i threw up a what are my chances thread as testament to my naive-ness. i never really knew the ways of SDN.. oh good times.....

21. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    naiveness...

neurotic people probably make the docs everybody hates. in fact neurotic ppl in any profession would be unlikeable. docs should be calm cool and collected. no patient is going to trust a doc that is always haywire, just like employees dont trust such a leader. but i think its great for high schoolers to come on here and get a head start, and its ridiculous for people to shoot them down. you all know you wish you had done the same.

if there is one type of person on the forums who should be encouraged its the precocious high schoolers, not the college screwups who get 2.5 gpas and 20 mcat and now want consolation about their chances when its far too late. who knows what kind of effect peoples negative words can have on young malleable minds. i swear, for all ppl preach about helping people and selflessness everyone is just a bunch of hypocrites. i grow to dislike sdners more each day, pre allos anyway

some of you will make great doctors to shadow one day :thumbdown:
    btw ChadC if you want to formulate a plan for medical success, there is an extremely cookie cutter formula to follow if you have a moderate amount of brains. so you most certainly can ask ppl in the know about how to get accepted to the best med schools in the country. you just have to start early and its good that you are.

22. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

really? i find neurotic people to be great doctors, but the kind of neurotic who keep it on the inside... if that makes sense? a doctor i know triple checks everything, even when they are not treating patients. to me that seems neurotic but she tells me about the hundreds of lives she saved just through triple checking and catching mistakes made by nurses. a calm exterior is also a requirement though. so i should refrase and say "internally neurotic with a calm exterior"

23. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i agree, although i would say thats called being careful and doing a good job. anything less is called sloppiness or carelessness. or anything significantly less anyway. outward neuroticism will lead to demise however. calm demeanor i would say is a must to excel as a doctor. composure, dignity, poise. mistakes made by nurses, tsk...thats why docs are so much higher on the totem pole and command so much more respect. nurses can be preoccupied with "helping ppl" and cuddling while docs are busy saving lives

24. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

heh i hope no nurses read this forum or a flam war might be in the mix :laugh:

25. ChadC

ChadC Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the great responses. I was previously thinking along the same lines as BerkelyMD about location. MUSC favors in-state students(ratio of around 40:1). But I've only been told that from undergrad colleges, not MUSC.

Thanks again
    Chad