schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
Three words: Sex Power God.
And Emma Watson. :p

On a more serious note, to answer your questions I think Brown is better than Amherst in (laymen) prestige and social life, while their academics are similar. Their prestige should be considered equal amongst those in academia. However, consider the environments. Brown is in Providence, a city in RI, while Amherst is in a rural and kind of isolated place in the mountains. When I visited Amherst, I knew I didn't want to go there because I would go crazy: it was all misty, cold and felt like a monastery. Amherst does have the 5 college consortium however, so you have access to resources from other schools such as Smith and UMass-Amherst.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
And Emma Watson. :p

On a more serious note, to answer your questions I think Brown is better than Amherst in prestige and social life, while their academics are similar. However, consider the environments. Brown is in Providence, a city in RI, while Amherst is in a rural and kind of isolated place in the mountains. When I visited Amherst, I knew I didn't want to go there because I would go crazy: it was all misty, cold and felt like a monastery. Amherst does have the 5 college consortium however, so you have access to resources from other schools such as Smith and UMass-Amherst.
Yea, there is nothing in Amherst, MA. Maybe a couple cows, some trees, not much else. Personally, I would go to Brown.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Well Brown is very good for graduate schools. This is because the average gpa there is a 3.65 ( Gradeinflation.com). Amherst isn't that behind with a 3.44 average.
So i'd say that go where its cheaper. In the end both are good schools and will prepare you graduate programs.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
There's two threads on this in hSDN, a mod should merge them.
Why not?

Merged active threads. Please don't cross-post threads in multiple forums to begin with.

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Well Brown is very good for graduate schools. This is because the average gpa there is a 3.65 ( Gradeinflation.com). Amherst isn't that behind with a 3.44 average.
So i'd say that go where its cheaper. In the end both are good schools and will prepare you graduate programs.
Don't flame me, but I have to more questions:

1. Is Brown's grade inflation significant with respect to being premed?

2. Which is better for investment banking? (Honestly, just curious with this one)

jturkel

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Don't flame me, but I have to more questions:

1. Is Brown's grade inflation significant with respect to being premed?

2. Which is better for investment banking? (Honestly, just curious with this one)
gold digger