Should I go to BU's MAMS program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayumgina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to turn in my AMCAS app next week, and I realized that I should make a definite decision on whether or not I will enroll in BU's MAMS program so that I can put it on my AMCAS. I was accepted earlier this month and although I've put down a deposit, I'm wondering if the 50K I put into the program will help me as much as I'd like it to. And because we all love stats, here they are:

GPA: 3.23
Sci: 3.15
MCAT: 27 (retaking in 2 weeks- practice tests are 32+)
EC: very, very good (research, leadership in a clinical setting, clinical experience, international medical mission, full time employment experience at a biotech)
LOR: very, very good (dean of med, professors, 2 MDs, work/volunteer supervisors)
Resident: CA (yes, I'm shooting for the CA schools.)

Would it hurt me this cycle to be enrolled in a SMP? I know that they put SMP applicants in a separate hold pile until they get their first sets of grades, and that can't be a good thing in terms of interviews. If I get a great MCAT score, would you still suggest going to the SMP? Thanks for your advice...

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it hurt you to do a SMP? If you do well, it can only boaster your application and show adcoms you're committed. If your goal is to get into an allopathic school, doing an SMP will give you a much better shot.

oh...you're trying to get into a california school. Good luck with that...its going to be very difficult unless you are an URM. The only schools you might have a chance at in CA are the osteopathic schools.

I've known plenty of californians that have done an SMP successfully (3.6+) that still can't get into a UC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should do the SMP and apply broadly! Like the others said, I wouldn't bank on any CA love.

oh...you're trying to get into a california school. Good luck with that...its going to be very difficult unless you are an URM. The only schools you might have a chance at in CA are the osteopathic schools.

I've known plenty of californians that have done an SMP successfully (3.6+) that still can't get into a UC.

Argh, bitterness alert!

You CAN get into medical school in Cali without being an URM and frankly I think that is unfair to say that. Check your MSAR. The majority of applicants who matriculate to any US med school are still white. This seems to be a case of scapegoating an entire population because you didn't get what you want. That's bigotry and it’s unfair. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I am tired of hearing that it's the URM's fault that us white people cant get into Cali med schools.

I had to apply 2 times before getting into a Cali med school, but I didn't blame the URM's. And really isn't that what being a doctor is all about.... compassion and understanding?

Honestly, I think you're going to have a very, very hard time with any MD schools (especially Cali ones) this application cycle, mainly due to your GPA and MCAT. I see you're retaking the MCAT, and if you get maybe a 35 or so, you MIGHT just be able to squeak into an allopathic schools, but it'd still be iffy.

If I were you, I'd not apply this cycle, take the SMP and do the best you can to raise your GPA to around a 3.5. I think you'll find you'll fare much better if you do this. Save yourself the cash for now, unless money isn't a big deal for you or your family.

People tend to overestimate the strength of their LORs and ECs, by the way. Besides, MCAT and GPA are what get you the interview 90% of the time (in my opinion)...

Argh, bitterness alert!

You CAN get into medical school in Cali without being an URM and frankly I think that is unfair to say that. Check your MSAR. The majority of applicants who matriculate to any US med school are still white. This seems to be a case of scapegoating an entire population because you didn't get what you want. That's bigotry and it’s unfair. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I am tired of hearing that it's the URM's fault that us white people cant get into Cali med schools.

I had to apply 2 times before getting into a Cali med school, but I didn't blame the URM's. And really isn't that what being a doctor is all about.... compassion and understanding?

:confused: it didn't sound like Dr2Bee was saying that only URM's can get into Cali schools...he was basing it on the stats that the OP posted. and i didn't get the vibe at all that Dr2Bee was blaming URM's for his own med app successes/failures, he was just giving the OP a realistic viewpoint of who may have a better chance of getting into Cali schools with those stats. there are other threads for this if you want to discuss. there's no reason to speak negatively of his potential as a medical professional :thumbdown:

:confused: it didn't sound like Dr2Bee was saying that only URM's can get into Cali schools...he was basing it on the stats that the OP posted. and i didn't get the vibe at all that Dr2Bee was blaming URM's for his own med app successes/failures, he was just giving the OP a realistic viewpoint of who may have a better chance of getting into Cali schools with those stats. there are other threads for this if you want to discuss. there's no reason to speak negatively of his potential as a medical professional :thumbdown:

Thank you HreComesTheSun. I think ntsystematic didnt have a chance to read the entire thread before responding. I am not that kind of person that puts blame on others. In fact, I couldn't be happier with where I will be going for med school.

I never said it was only URMs that were getting into UCs. I was only trying to provide realistic information to the OP based on the stats he provided us. California schools are very difficult to get into, thats why there are so many qualified pre-meds that end up going out-of-state for school.

I never say it was impossible, but its very difficult unless you have some unique quality or connection. I have done the SMP myself at BU. From the information and data the school provides to us, often times, even with students graduating from the top of their class from the program they still don't get any love from the UCs. Feel free to call the GMS office and speak with the Dean on this if you want. But if the OP is ok with going to other great MD schools outside of CA or the private CA schools, he has a great shot with the SMP.

<--

Cumulative GPA 3.2 (significant rising trend- bad first years)
Science GPA 3.0
MCAT: 31S

Applied for first time in the summer after I graduated, enrolled in an SMP, accepted to Tulane in November and will be attending this Fall. You can always opt to continue your undergrad and raise your GPA but it would probably take at least 2 years of at least 60-100 credit hours to raise it competitively, assuming you earn mostly A's. It does not hurt you too much to go through the SMP route in terms of being put in the hold pile, you just apply in the summer, submit grades as you get them- if you don't get in the first time around, you can always apply again with a full set of year's grades. Feel free to check out my link in my signature that goes right to the postbac forums into an official SMP thread I've created.

Understand that going this route is often one of those make or break routes- if you screw it up, you pretty much screw up your chances of getting into medical school. So I would suggest seeing how your MCAT pans out first- it is is extremely high, you may even forgo through whole SMP route altogether, but most likely a SMP is what you need. And there are many many success stories of people with lower GPAs than yours who have gotten in. Theres a chance you may not get into a school this cycle, but keep in mind that many SMPs boast that 50% of their students get accepted into schools in their first SMP year, as long as you apply broadly, apply intelligently, and apply early.

your GPA is on the lower side, and unless you're going to take a year's worth of classes to raise that sucker up, it will most likely hurt you in the long run, in the eyes of most medschoolls (unless you're URM). Do the BU SMP program (been there, done that), apply broadly and don't expect too much from cali schools, cus they seem to take the creme of the crop, with SO many applicants applying. you have a decent chance at most medschools, so look to other schools, but don't dismiss ca schools.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all of your replies. They helped in my decision making process. Looks like I'm going to need some cash. Quick, too. Good luck...
-DG