Should I go to Howard University MD or should I go to NOVA DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD2914

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently trying to decide what is the best option for me and I am having a really difficult time deciding. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have been accepted into both schools. Originally, It was important for me to go to an MD school but as I went through interviews it became less important. Now I am just trying to make the best choice for me. I live in South Florida now so NOVA DO is the easier/ more comfortable choice. This is also where my entire family lives and where I want to live in the future.

However, I do not want to make a choice based on comfort. I want to make the best choice for my career. I am willing to sacrifice comfort and leaving my support system if going to an MD school will make a difference in my career. Please let me know if you have any opinions on this (Howard University MD vs. NOVA DO)!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am currently trying to decide what is the best option for me and I am having a really difficult time deciding. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have been accepted into both schools. Originally, It was important for me to go to an MD school but as I went through interviews it became less important. Now I am just trying to make the best choice for me. I live in South Florida now so NOVA DO is the easier/ more comfortable choice. This is also where my entire family lives and where I want to live in the future.

However, I do not want to make a choice based on comfort. I want to make the best choice for my career. I am willing to sacrifice comfort and leaving my support system if going to an MD school will make a difference in my career. Please let me know if you have any opinions on this (Howard University MD vs. NOVA DO)!!!
I can't recommend Nova. Too many recent negative issues.

Howard would open more doors for you, in any case.

Reactions: 10 users
howard howard howard. I am also from south florida and i know nova very well. But you should always do MD>DO. those letters will stick to the end of your name FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. no one cares why you decided to do nova, all they'll see is DO and ask "huh?" (the general public, that is). Plus nova's DO program isnt all that to brag about. My only hesitation with howard is they are going through ALOT of accreditation issues. they're barely holding on to their training hospital and their medical standards are very suspect. they also have been losing fellowships.

Even still, i would go to howard to get my MD, then go to a better residency program to actually learn how to be a great doc.

I was in a similar situation and picked MD over DO, even though it meant moving to a completely unfamiliar area. I am so glad I made that choice.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m from South Florida too and I know a couple docs from Howard. They’re all really successful down here.

This is actually a really terrible, horrible, no good, very bad question. The newest, least prestigious USMD school will still poo poo on the oldest, most prestigious DO school. It’s not even semi close.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know two students who current attend Howard and they love every aspect of the school and it’s curriculum. I also know one person who is a second year at Nova and he wishes he picked somewhere else. If you can deal with the cold weather, I’d say go for Howard. I know I would.

HOWARD -- DC BABY fun place. Also addressing the comment above me DC IS NOT COLD. **** with global warming it was 70 degrees on saturday and sunday lol

This is actually a really terrible, horrible, no good, very bad question. The newest, least prestigious USMD school will still poo poo on the oldest, most prestigious DO school. It’s not even semi close.
Are you saying the quality of education is worse at a DO school?

I don't think thats the case. I think quality just tends to vary more, puts you in a bad position for some residencies (hearsay on my part, hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this can chime in), and Nova's on @Goro crap list so that altogether + me personally knowing people having gone through Nova would make me reluctant to go to the school.

I don't think thats the case. I think quality just tends to vary more, puts you in a bad position for some residencies (hearsay on my part, hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this can chime in), and Nova's on @Goro crap list so that altogether + me personally knowing people having gone through Nova would make me reluctant to go to the school.
What Osamine said. There are solid DO schools, but the reality is that more doors will be open to a Howard grad, they don't have to take COMLEX nor take OMM/OMT classes.

Also keep in mind that unlike the OP, beggars can't be choosy, and even at an MD school, not everyone is magically in the top 20% or so that gets into the uber-specialties or uber-residencies.

Reactions: 2 users

I’m saying that there’s absolutely no reason to go to ANY DO school over a USMD school. Others agree.

Besides, Howard is a good school. Extensive alumni network and can help you get into residencies that value diversity.

I’m saying that there’s absolutely no reason to go to ANY DO school over a USMD school. Others agree.
Should I still be proud of getting accepted to a DO school ? Like is it still an accomplishment or is it something everyone gets accepted to?

Last edited:
You should be proud that you’ll be a doctor, live a good life and help others.
I know but I also want to be proud of HOW I get there. You can get there by going to a carribean school, or having your parents make a donation to a school (Loughlin case), etc. I just want to know that I'm not taking the easy way to get to where I want to be (medical school) by going to DO and not MD.

I know but I also want to be proud of HOW I get there. You can get there by going to a carribean school, or having your parents make a donation to a school (Loughlin case), etc. I just want to know that I'm not taking the easy way to get to where I want to be (medical school) by going to DO and not MD.
Same. I've actually preferred the idea of being a DO over an MD ever since I heard about it, but based on some of the responses on this thread, I'm like dang... If that's a glimpse into how I'll be perceived as a DO, it's kind of depressing.

Reactions: 2 users
Same. I've actually preferred the idea of being a DO over an MD ever since I heard about it, but based on some of the responses on this thread, I'm like dang... If that's a glimpse into how I'll be perceived as a DO, it's kind of depressing.

Getting through medical training is an accomplishment to be proud of no matter what the route was to get there.

People say choose any MD over any DO because of the residency prospects.

I know! Some of the responses on here make me feel like DO is less superior to MD

Reactions: 1 users
Should I still be proud of getting accepted to a DO school ? Like is it still an accomplishment or is it something everyone gets accepted to?

Only 33% of US adults age 25+ have a Bachelors Degree...9% have a Masters and only 1.5% have a professional degree of some kind. Only 40% of medical school applicants are accepted each year. If you have an acceptance, you’ve achieved something that most never will.

You don’t need anyone else’s permission to be proud of your accomplishments.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I was proud of myself for making it to chick fil a breakfast this morning—10:29 on the dot, squeezed in right in the knick of time.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
@Alco_Palco There is so much doom and gloom on SDN.. don't let it skew your view of the DO degree. Self-loathing DOs seem to be a very loud minority here.

Getting into a DO school is a massive accomplishment and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If everything goes right, you'll be a doctor at the end of the day, and helping others just like any MD would. No one will give two flying f*cks about the letters behind your name or where you went to school.

Going the DO route isn't taking the easy way out. Sure, the average stats of matriculants are lower in comparison to MDs but you'll have to take OMM and 2 sets of boards. You'll have to outperform MDs to have a shot at competitive residency slots. It's a small price to pay for having a bad undergraduate career. In my opinion, choosing DO is like doing medical school on expert difficulty. There are much more hoops to jump through and certain doors will be closed no matter how well you perform because of the DO bias. Those doors may or may not matter to you.. to me they don't because I couldn't care less about the hyper-competitive specialties.

Obviously if you have a chance to choose MD over DO, then choose MD. It's the path of least resistance, so Idk why anyone would choose DO over MD and subject themselves to what I've just explained above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You should hardly feel that way - actually in a family of md and Do, the classes are the same - omm is extra for DO
Where you are comfortable is where you will thrive. With the merging and new matches and other items on the horizon pretty much it’s all about the same.
your usmle will determine the rest

what would be the difference practicing as a DO? I cant tell in the settings I've worked in.

First, congratulations on having two acceptances to choose from! You’re going to be a doctor, and you should feel extremely proud.

I wrestled with the same thing. I wasn’t sure how competitive I was as an applicant so applied roughly 50/50 MD/DO and had acceptances at both that I was struggling to choose between. I chose an MD program and I’m extremely glad I did.

USMD schools aren’t necessarily any better than USDO schools, MD’s aren’t better doctors than DO’s. However, coming from a DO school can make for a fierce uphill climb and shut a lot of doors outright depending on what you’re applying to later. You may think now that you want to do family medicine anyway so it doesn’t matter too much, but you may realize you’d love to do IR, or Derm, or Ortho and unfortunately be very, very limited not coming from an MD school.

I’m a current 4th year on the interview trail for a very competitive specialty and, while I think it’s unfair, the few (And I mean 1-2) DO students I’ve encountered haven’t been fairing well.

You should hardly feel that way - actually in a family of md and Do, the classes are the same - omm is extra for DO
Where you are comfortable is where you will thrive. With the merging and new matches and other items on the horizon pretty much it’s all about the same.

I can’t speak for every specialty but I can say with some real confidence that this is not true. Historically allopathic residencies in competitive specialties are still interviewing almost exclusively MD candidates, regardless of whether a DO student has a 260+. It shouldn’t matter, but it unfortunately does.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah that’s not true.

I would choose MD over DO if you have the opportunity. DO is an uphill battle until residency for those interested in a competitive specialty. MD makes life easier when it comes to the match. you can tell yourself DO and MD is equal until the cows come home but in reality no matter how good you look on paper some programs simply wont interview you because you arent an MD even if you have 10 first auth pubs first in your class all honors 3rd year and a 260 Step 1. The good part is after residency no one gives a rats ass lol thats when things level out. Dont let this have you thinking that DO degree is inferior. Getting into DO school is very difficult and you should be proud of this accomplishment.

Last edited:
You never have to worry about comparing yourself to caribbean. No comparison in what it takes to get into DO school vs caribbean. DO>>>>>>>>>carib. DO school is very competitive obviously slightly less competitive than MD but getting into DO school is very hard

Howard hands down. Nova DO has had questionable performance in the last few years for such an established program. Several people from their last 2 graduating classes were unable to match. Additionally, their board pass rates have been low for a veteran school. Something is wrong with this program.