Should I go to Ireland or Australia for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florentine

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen in my 4th year of university. I plan to start applying to Canadian medical schools next year. However, if I don't get in after 3 cycles or so, I would like to go abroad. I am hoping to hear some feedback regarding which country is better for medical education/cost/student support, etc. A few important things I want to mention.

1. I hold a European Union passport. I'm not sure how advantageous this but if it helps then I have one.

2. I am mostly interested in pursuing medical school for psychiatry. My current undergrad is psychology, I have had the chance to explore the psychiatric profession and I am very certain it's what I want to do. This could possibly change but I doubt it. So just assume that I would like to do residency in psychiatry.

3. I realize coming back to Canada is competitive and unlikely. As such, my primary concern is staying in the country of graduation for residency or clerkship as it's called and perhaps eventually coming back to Canada as a fully certified psychiatrist. I have heard of reciprocity agreements between the Royal Colleges and such but if anyone could please provide more insight into this matter it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.