Should I go to more interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healingwave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviewed at UIWSOM and VCOM-CC. Waitlisted at UIWSOM and accepted to VVCOM-CC. I have interview invites from KCU, ATSU-SOMA, and ACOM. I will be attending the KCU interview but am wondering if I should go to the other two interviews. Anything special about ATSU-SOMA or ACOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck at KCU ;)

I think if you would consider attending any of the schools over your VCOM - CC acceptance, and you have the funds, you should go. It's a cool opportunity to explore the country a bit, and you never know what school you might fall in love with.

Look into the curriculi at ATSU-SOMA and ACOM; quite different! I decided not to attend my SOMA interview because I wasn't a huge fan of the CHC-based cirriculum. ACOM has some kind of hybrid... can't remember the details; hopefully someone else can chime in there; it's more on the traditional end of the spectrum (lecture-based.) I loved my ACOM visit though; the school is beautiful and the people are awesome. They also have a strong connection with the healthcare system in Dothan which (I would think) will help you in your 3rd and 4rth years.

If you still can't decide, look into the location of the schools as well. Dothan, AL is quite literally in the middle of nowhere! Although, it is a cool little town and within driving distance to Panama City, FL and Atlanta, GA. I'm a huge fan of the location of ATSU - SOMA; I love hot weather, and Phoenix, AZ is like two minutes away. So if you see yourself living in a bigger city (relative to Dothan) maybe you should interview at SOMA? Or vice versa for Dothan if you enjoy a smaller town.

Congrats on your success, OP!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have interviewed at UIWSOM and VCOM-CC. Waitlisted at UIWSOM and accepted to VVCOM-CC. I have interview invites from KCU, ATSU-SOMA, and ACOM. I will be attending the KCU interview but am wondering if I should go to the other two interviews. Anything special about ATSU-SOMA or ACOM?

I can't speak for the other schools but as far as my interview day experience, ACOM impressed me the most out of all of the schools I have interviewed at. The staff are incredibly nice and really care about their students and mission statement. Unless this kind of thing doesn't matter to you, I would at the very least check out the school for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford it or it's not too much of a financial hardship, I say go, unless you are 100% sure you will go to a school you are already accepted to.

I asked this same question myself a few weeks ago (and at the time I was about 95%+ sure I would go to the school I had already been accepted to than the school I was interviewing at), and others encouraged me to go, so I did. Glad I did because I now prefer that school over the one I've been accepted to. I don't like the location, but the school itself blew me away and the students there seemed like my kind of people (and that's probably more important than location at the end of the day).

So if I were you I would go to all the interviews you can afford.

If you can afford to go to ACOM, they had really good chipotle mayo on their sandwiches at lunch ;)

Reactions: 4 users
If you can afford to go to ACOM, they had really good chipotle mayo on their sandwiches at lunch ;)

True, but I was turned off when someone asked what was the best BBQ in town and the AD said Dickies.... freaking Dickies... I was like :wtf: This is Alabama and the best southern BBQ you can recommend is Dickies? I was looking for a little dive with tinfoil, white styrofoam cups, and brisket dripping in its own fatty juices, not chain fast food Dickies..

Reactions: 2 users
True, but I was turned off when someone asked what was the best BBQ in town and the AD said Dickies.... freaking Dickies... I was like :wtf: This is Alabama and the best southern BBQ you can recommend is Dickies? I was looking for a little dive with tinfoil, white styrofoam cups, and brisket dripping in its own fatty juices, not chain fast food Dickies..
Whenever I think of good BBQ, I imagine going to the back alley joint from House of Cards where you can get ribs at 9 am.

Reactions: 2 users

That's why you go to KC and go to Jack Stack or Q39

I'll see which one is better. I'm from Texas and they have the best BBQ down here.

All of those are better than VCOM in my opinion. Especially better than UI. I'd go to KCU >>>> ACOM > SOMA >>> VCOM >>>>>>>>>>>>>> UIW

Reactions: 1 users
Thought VCOM was better than ACOM and SOMA?..

VCOM VA is the parent school and the oldest/most established of the three VCOM campuses. Since it's the South Carolina campus you'd be better off with SOMA than that one. I'd probably say VCOM CC=ACOM though.

I would honestly attend UIW if I get off the wait list. I'm from Texas.

I'd pick UIW over all. (But also I want Psych or a less competitive specialty).

People just don't realize here the value of going to a Texas med school. The state takes care of their students and is under a huge residency expansion!!!

I'd pick UIW over all. (But also I want Psych or a less competitive specialty).

People just don't realize here the value of going to a Texas med school. The state takes care of their students and is under a huge residency expansion!!!
over KCU?

over KCU?

Personally, Yes. Why? My anxiety goes from 0-100 real quick and KCU's curriculum would more likely lead me to not even finish med school in the first place. Not down for additional stress no matter how good the school is.

Again, this is personally for my situation.

Personally, Yes. Why? My anxiety goes from 0-100 real quick and KCU's curriculum would more likely lead me to not even finish med school in the first place. Not down for additional stress no matter how good the school is.

Again, this is personally for my situation.
Understandable