Should I go to my Tulane interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...
I have been accepted to MCW and I am debating whether or not to go to the tulane interview. I know tons of people love Tulane and have even been considering it when they have been accepted to a top 20 school.

What are the thoughts on Tulane as compared to MCW?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, and I may be wrong, is that Tulane is a damn good school. It may not be ranked top 20, but thats because they don't disclose alot of their information. Again, I could be wrong, but I would think it would be worth going

Tulane is fun, especially if you've never been to New Orelans. Where are you from? I think they are wary of people from the Northeast etc. wanting to move down there because it is really different. I was waitlisted and had good interviews and a good overall application. It is a fun interview though. The location is SO different from MCW (I didn't interview there, but I was born and raised in Madison). I think it's worth it just to check out New Orleans.

Members don't see this ad :)
tulane doesn't release ANY of its info to USNews. (i think that's a pretty dumb idea because like it or not, we premeds are competitive.) it's because their rating wouldn't reflect how great a school it is. i had a fun interview weekend. stay uptown, it's nicer. request a host if you don't know anyone and give yourself time to get to know the school and city.

tulane has great hospitals - they love to say how much hands-on exposure you can get from day 1 if you look for it at the charity hospital, the academic center sees all sorts of nasty diseases from a pretty large area. the students are all NICE and NORMAL. not as rare as i thought it would be in the med school arena, but still not a given. i would go and check it out.

then again, i'm thinking of going, so i'm biased.....

fyi: the dean (pisano) does a lot of the interviewing and has a lot of say in whether you get in our not. try to kiss his ass as sincerely as possible....he's kind of a smarta$$ and a really neat guy.

GO!!!!
MCW is NOT a better school. In all honesty, they are probably the same quality. Tulane doesn't have a whole lot of NIH funding, so if they did apply for rankings, it wouldn't reflect how good they really are. Besides, their match list looks like that of a top 20 school. Remember, the match is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your medical school education. You will probably love Tulane, so by all means, GO!

Good luck!

scoobs,
i agree with the other posters. however, what do YOU think of MCW? i personally think tulane has a bit more name recognition and is probably more fun. i'm a california boy, so the thought of the wisconsin weather freaks me out. if you liked MCW, but are still a bit unsure of what else is out there, go to tulane. it offers a fun place, low stress, and a good education.

where else do you have interviews but haven't heard from? this could also be a factor in your decision to go to tulane.

hey b!tch,
you must still be hung over, you're obviously not thinking clearly. jk. go to tulane. i've heard good things about the school from lab people...

You can guess my opinion of this situation.

Originally posted by WarmFuzzyKittens:
•hey b!tch,
you must still be hung over, you're obviously not thinking clearly. jk. go to tulane. i've heard good things about the school from lab people...•••

Haha..thanks WFK...
Thanks for all the useful advice everyone. I want to go there but I have been on a good amount of interviews so far and I can barely afford the taxi ride from the airport let alone the airfare right now. I want to delay it until February and then see if I get into any other rolling schools and then I guess I will see.
I liked MCW a lot...I just think I would rather live in a more urban environment...As of right now I will probably go to all my interviews....just I want to delay them for longer.
The main reason I am not going right now is that I am sick of flying and leaving my apartment and paying so much for all this. can someone say Burning Out?
Any other thoughts on Tulane...and while we are at it how about Wake Forest and OSU.

Definitely go. And remember that Tulane was one of the first schools to start interviewing, having had the good sense to bypass AMCAS from the start, so postponing may not be a good idea. What if you go there and absoslutely love it, it moves to the top of your list, and you don't get in because you postponed your interview?

definitely look at osu. it's a decent school, and after one year you get in state tuition, which will save you over 60K. think of how many bottles of absinthe you could buy (or hookers, whatever you fancy) with that $$

Haha...WFK, What is that you talk of?
I don't touch any of that stuff...but if I was in amsterdam...well then that's a different story!

WHen everyone else was getting Tulane interviews, they didn't give me crap! They had my application for 3 months and then decided to give me an interview so I am not too happy with them right now :)

So they will have to wait for me now :)

Oh my god, I can't believe you are even asking this question... By all means go!!!!!!!!!!

Last year, I wasn't even sure I wanted to apply to Tulane, and just submitted my application sort of on a whim. I am so glad I did. I loved the school -- I loved New Orleans, I loved Dean Pisano, I loved the students, loved the hospitals, etc. Only thing I didn't love was the cost, but depending on what your options are, it may not be a big deal.

I didn't apply to MCW, so I can't really tell you how they would compare, but I'm guessing that the clinical training at least would be superior at Tulane -- you see a lot and do a lot there.

Don't delay until February -- that's getting too close to Mardi Gras, and you won't be able to afford a hotel room, much less find one, if you can't stay with a student host the whole time. Plus, everything else is much more expensive (like going out to bars) during that time period.

Anyways, go -- it's a great school and you will have a fantastic time.

Members don't see this ad :)
scooby, you say that money is your limiting factor here, so your decision probably comes down to whether you're simply interested in going to med school period (which you will now get to do, regardless of whether or not you go to tulane, because of your MCW acceptance) or if you want to shop around. if you just want an MD, and you have no money, then you should stop now and don't go to tulane for the interview. but if you think you'll have any inkling of unhappiness at MCW--and you say you want an urban environment--then you should suck it up and pay to go to tulane. new orleans is a way better city than milwaukee. maybe i'm just stating the obvious, but it all depends on how you view your MCW acceptance. for what it's worth, i turned down my tulane interview.

i don't know...i think it's kind of useless to speculate where tulane would be ranked if they submitted their info to US news. the rankings mean relatively little. the argument is that because of the factors that US news takes into account for its ranking system, tulane's reputation would be underestimated. however, this same logic applies to lots of schools--not every school in this country is big into research (thus, no NIH funds) but still offers a top-notch clinical education, and unless you're going MD/PhD, isn't that what matters? everyone knows that rankings don't reflect the big picture, or even an accurate picture. so why doesn't tulane submit their info? i don't get it. but anyway,..

Hey Scooby. I would say definitely check out Tulane. I had already been accepted to MCV and had done six other interviews when Tulane invited me, but I still went. I spent the weekend in Nawlins, partied my ass off, and loved the school on Monday. They have tons of clinical experience in the first two years, a free M.P.H. that you can get within the four years of the M.D. program, awesome match results, a systems-based curriculum, an amazing city, and by far the coolest people I have met at a med school. I'd say it's worth a look.

Hey Scooby,

I got accepted to Tulane but withdrew my app recently. Maybe I could write a letter on your behalf and ask them to give you my acceptance?

All kidding aside, I thought Tulane was a great school. I know you like to party so you would love New Orleans also. I hear you about the money issue though, its getting damn expensive for me too.

Go to the interview. I was there in November and loved New Orleans, even saw some boobies down on Bourban. That alone is worth the plane expense. Dr. Pisano isn't that wonderful. Tulane is a great school but like everyone else says, do you really want to be 200K in debt. Hell No

Scooby..I think you ought to check out OSU. I speak for the Columbus SDN contingent! :)
Where the heck are you from?
Glad you finally heard from Tulane. Now they need to contact me! They have been ignoring me for about 3 months also! They were the very first secondary I did! Boo hoo.

Originally posted by quaileggs:
•Scooby..I think you ought to check out OSU. I speak for the Columbus SDN contingent! :)
Where the heck are you from?
Glad you finally heard from Tulane. Now they need to contact me! They have been ignoring me for about 3 months also! They were the very first secondary I did! Boo hoo.•••
\
Hey there :)
Can I stay with you? :)

i dont really know what you should do scoob. it sounds to me like your a great applicant and maybe you should wait until you hear from your number one choice school(s).

but, i do know one thing. if you do go to your interview at tulane DO NOT stay at the days inn. it sucks big time. trust me, stay away!

This is just a suggestion. Why don't you sell some of your stuff to raise the funds? You can put old books on half.com, and old junk you are going to get rid of anyway when you move to your med school location on eBay. I am sure you can think of some worthless personal possessions that are worth the opportunity cost of not going to the Tulane interview.

You see, to me it becomes an economic question. What are you willing to give up for the interview?

Scooby,

I'll have to think about that! :p

Scoob,

I hope you read this before you make a decision. I'm a T1, and I'd like to try to give you an unbiased picture (impossible!) about Tulane, and give you reasons why you should at least take the interview, and also clear up some misconceptions.

1) WE DO THE USNEWS THING NOW! This was the first year we did it. It ended up being a bad choice in my opinion, b/c we didn't clear the top 50. But, think about it: we are a school where CLINICAL experience is of utmost importance. We do not heavily invest in research, we do not receive much NIH funding. Side note: Pisano didn't agree with the USNews rating system for many years, and he still doesn't agree with it. However, I think he was tiring of getting the question asked, and so he decided to submit. But, on your own, you can compare stats and pretty much place it with the Tufts, Einsteins, and other mid-level private schools, based on GPA/MCAT.

2) It is not a systems based curriculum! It is about as traditional as it gets. We don't have as much lecture anymore (a few years ago, we had the most lecture hours in the country; now we are somewhere around the average). It is just a regular medical school curriculum w/a smattering of PBLs, small group sessions, community preceptorships, community visits, ambulance rides, service projects. It is a block schedule, so we have 5 weeks of class followed by an exam week. The first semester in 18 weeks. I have no idea what the second semester is like. I liked the curriculum, b/c I have time to do what I like to do, and not let med school rule my life.

Okay, now that those two points are settled ...

As I've said before, I love Tulane. I think the best part are the people: the faculty, the staff, and most importantly, the students.

The professors really care about you; they set up review sessions, they come find you if you do poorly on a test, they know your names, and they come in after hours. The testing/evaluation here is so fair. I never feel that I'm getting tricked or confused. Everything is straightforward. They tell you what you need to know, they teach it to you, then they evaluate you on exactly what they told you they would.

The students are amazing. We do so much community service stuff, we're involved in many organizations, and it is such a diverse group. There is a good range of ages, professions, majors, geographic diversity, religions .. there are pro athletes, teachers, financial analysts, internet startup folks .. you name it, we got 'em. We have a lot of social events, but I guess there is some complaints about everything being alcohol oriented, so we are working on more family oriented stuff next time. I'm not going to say we aren't competitive, b/c I am proud of the fact that everyone wants to do well. We are also very cooperative, and that is what makes it cool (ask if you want details). Everyone helps each other, and it is great.

The clinical opportunity here is second to none. We get to do stuff early on, including patient interviews on real patients, shadowing of physicians, going on ambulance rides, the opportunity to go on Aeromed (helicopter) rides to pick up/drop off patients, visiting Charity Hospital's ER to observe for a shift (one student got the offer to do a lumbar puncture!), intubations clinics (on real patients!), EKG reading sessions.

3rd and 4th year set you up very good for your residency, our placements are good: check the list on-line. We are respected as clinicians locally and nationally. I don't know enough about it b/c I am just a T1 ... I do know that we have our own private hospital, a county hospital (2nd busiest in America, and the oldest continuously running), a rural hospital that you live at (a great place to do surgery or OB-GYN rotation b/c there is no interns or residents - just you), the VA hospital, and options to use LSU's hospitals (University, Children's).

It's a good place. At least come visit. I know enough people who just went on a whim visit and then ended up loving it.

It's not Harvard, and it's not Yale, and it's not Duke. It's Tulane, and it is what it is ... Almost all of us here love it and will tell you that with sincerity.

If you have any questions, e-mail me at [email protected] ...

Simul
Tulane Med '05

I mentioned this on another post but it is worth mentioning again.

While Tulane is not on the US News top Research/Primary Medicine list it is on the Gourman Report. The Gorman Report cites Tulane as the 17th best medical school in the US. This just shows you how GREAT Tulane is in the clinical area of medicine. Charity Hospital is an incredible learning environment. As an example, the Uniformed Services sends their physicians to do a rotation at Charity Hospital for ER training. And the Uniformed Services physicians are known as some of the best/if not the best ER doctors in the country.

Cool...thanks for all the advice. My interview is scheduled for early january but I am going to call and try to move it on back a little to later january I think :)
And qualilegs...I'll be calling you up :)