Should I go to my YALE interview???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
I know that I am blessed to be in this position, but I still would like to know what you guys think. Yale is one of the best universities on the face of the planet, but I'm not sure I would be happy there because:

1)they MAKE you do a thesis. I absolutely hate research, and the idea of mandatory research frightens me. much of the class starts on their research project in the 1st year, and up to 40% stay a 5th year. i don't want to be distracted with research when i'm trying to study!

2)the location bites. not very safe at all.

3)the yale system sound so radical that you don't learn everything you need. top that with time contraints from research, and i get worried about my education.

4)it almost seems like a ph.d. program.

BUT, then again, maybe the research requirement is really simple and maybe the yale system is really well orchestrated. i wouldn't know because i haven't seen the school. what are your opinions about these concerns? Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

I say go. What have you got to lose. If anything, you might discover that their system suits you after all. Hell, you can't go wrong with Pass/Fail all the way through. I say get on that goddamn plane and go kick some a**!

If I were you I'd go and talk to students about your concerns. Try to stay with a student so you get a real feel for the place. What have you got to lose? (except a little time and money, but at this point, who cares?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go! The question even made me laugh, because so many people would kill for that opportunity! I heard of another school that requires a thesis (I dont remember wh/ one), and the students say it's no big deal. You should definitely give it a shot. You wouldn't have applied there if uninterested, right?

But if you have absolutely no intentions of going, please withdraw your app and give someone else your spot. :)

Good luck, let us know how it goes

First of all...the thesis requirement can be fulfilled through any type of research: basic science, clinical research, even health policy stuff. They are very flexible.

Second, New Haven is not as bad as people make it out to be. Sure it's not Beverly Hills, but it is no slum either. I felt safe.

And finally, the Yale System may seem radical, but it works. You learn what you need to learn, and they do very well on the boards...almost always top 5 (so I was told at the interview).

You should go and give it a shot. There are people out there who would die to be in your position.

Good luck.

Well, congrats on even GETTING the interview. I know that if it were my interview, I'd definitely go. But I will admit, it's news to me that the area isn't safe. Is that true? The whole area looks great in the pictures I've seen...twould be a shame if that was all just PR... :confused:

Mr. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You should definitely give Yale a shot! I'm a VERY happy MS IV at Yale (if you look at some of my other posts you can find out why I love Yale). I think it stacks up very well to any of the other big name programs, plus it offers a great quality of life. The thesis requirement is a minor drag, but it really is only what you make of it (trust me, you *really* shouldn't rule Yale out because of the thesis). Yale's not for everyone, but you're lucky to have the opportunity to judge for yourself.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

I say don't go.
But that's only because it would improve my chances of getting in.

So don't listen me, and go to the interview.
:)

also note that i'd be flying from california and the trip would cost over $500. i've already gone on 20 interviews (most of which were on the east coast, pretty expensive from CA). I really want to check out Yale, but it seems like enough is enough for me. I underestimated my application so I applied to and interviewed at too many schools. I've seen all of the other ivies, and i'm just out of cash now. it just pisses me off that i spent money to go see uic, mcphu, and rochester (even though they are excellent schools)but I won't go to see Yale. they just waited like 6 months after my application was complete to send me my invitation to interview. by that time i had counted them out and spent my money on much lesser known schools. oh well.

i think it's actually quite mature of you to consider not to go. Most of us would jump at the opportunity just because it IS such a big name. (as for me, I'm one of those freaks that applied because of the thesis!) The friend that I occasionally mention on here who's an MS1 @ harvard now chose not to go to Yale, because he was already accepted @ Stanford which he felt had similar students/style with their research-emphasis, caliber of school, board scores. And let's not forget the weather. Us warm-weather kids always factor in weather :)

So if there's another school that you have been accepted to (or maybe even waitlisted at) that you would choose over Yale, then maybe it's worth considering saving the $500.
best of luck in your 'tour of the circuit'(1) Ganderhall. Let us all know what you decided and why.

(1) Mrs. Sullivan, Georgetown interview

i'm in a similiar (albeit very lucky) position as the OP. I recently (last month) got a yale interview after thuroughly giving up on the school. My app was complete in august, and i didn't hear a peep for 5 months. I've been accepted to pritzker and am really psyched about the school. I actually see many similiarities between it and yale, and loved yale when I was learning about schools. Similarities including P/F, autonomy/responsibility given during MS3/4, supportive administration, opportunities for research, strength of matching (especially in CA), both are largely lecture based in 1st 2 years, though not super-traditional. Anyways, with all the similarities, I can't imagine deciding to go to new haven instead of chicago. Part of it is having been in a so-so smaller city (baltimore) for undergrad, while I've loved it, it's made me want a bigger city surroundings for the next 4.

Thanks for letting me rant a little bit. Anyways, i too find it hard to push out the thoughts of yale, this school i liked so many things about, but it's a 6hr drive each way, and a lot of time and effort. I did schedule my interview for march 1st, and I've been constantly wavering between "why not take it, nothing to lose" and "don't waste your time, you love chicago".

I'm not sure why I posted this mental process, i don't think I'm really looking for feedback, this is just what I've been thinking about the same issue. Anyways, I apologize for stalling the process at yale for anyone who's still waiting.

I'd say that if you absolutely hate research then Yale might not be the place for you. Its basically a 4 yr term paper and you would devote time that you could be out doing community service, gaining clinical experience or downtime on it instead. If you've never tried it then it could be a great experience. That's an unknown. The thesis is one of the reasons that Yale is my #1 choice.
As for the location, not necesarily unsafe but alright, just nothing special there. New York is only a 2hr train ride away and 1.5 hrs by car.
I found that the students and administration were great and a huge draw.
Good luck with your decision. It sounds like you'll do well wherever you go.