Should I go to the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aishtr1295

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've started working in Sept and the company has been really great in letting me take vacation days and personal days that I haven't yet accrued in attending a bunch of interviews. I feel REALLY bad asking for another day off, since I've used up all of mine for the year and I'd need to go without pay.

Currently, I'm sitting on an acceptance to NJMS. I've been invited for an interview to Rosalind Franklin in Chicago and I'm not sure if I would even choose the school over NJMS--the only reason for it would be because it's in Chicago and not in a dumpster that we call Newark, NJ.

Would love some unbiased 2 cents on this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically, can you see yourself going to Rosalind if you were accepted? Is NJMS going to be significantly cheaper to attend than rosalind?

Reactions: 1 user
Btw, Rosalind isn't really in chicago, its in the city of north Chicago which is like an hour away from actual chicago.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Newark is a shady area, but then again so are many other areas surrounding plenty of other schools. My brother had his car stolen at gunpoint in Newark last semester, and a friend of mine witnessed a hijacking incident just this past week in the area. If safety is one of your biggest concerns, it wouldn't hurt to have other options.

Your concerns are real but I don't think they have any place in this debate. You're going to skip an interview because you feel bad taking another couple days off from work? That's crazy in my opinion.

That being said, if you can't see yourself attending the school in any way, save yourself the time and money and skip it.

Go if you see yourself potentially attending Rosalind Franklin over NJMS, cancel if there's no way you'd go.

I guess that's not super useful advice but it's a question really only you know the answer to. The unpaid time off thing sucks, I am hoping to cancel some interviews next month for the same reason. Should be getting decisions from two schools this month that will dictate that.

I think its worthwhile to go, as long as its not a huge financial burden, if only to gain experience interviewing if you have any dream schools that you still could hear back from for an interview invite. Also, I have had my thoughts on schools pretty drastically changed after attending interview day and meeting staff, touring facilities, and discussing curriculum and goals the school has.