Should I go to the top university in my state or a state school in the state I want to be in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qteepa2t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to the University of Florida with a good chance of getting in because I went to a community college first. My GPA is 3.72 as of right now. I don't want to stay in Florida. I actually want to live in Los Angeles and eventually have my dental practice there (or Beverly Hills) as my life goal. I figured the quickest way to get there is school.
Will it hurt my chances of getting into a good dental school (USC for example if I could find a way to pay) by going to Cal State Fullerton or Los Angeles (just because they are near the area I want to live in)? Or will I have better chances by going to UF just because of ranking? I hope that made sense and wasn't too long.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I really do not want to sound condescending or like I am talking down to you at all but as a FL resident who went to UF all four years, why do you say your chances are better for going to a community college?

Reactions: 1 user
I really do not want to sound condescending or like I am talking down to you at all but as a FL resident who went to UF all four years, why do you say your chances are better for going to a community college?
I guess because you went straight out of high school you don't know this but you get priority as a transfer student if you went there first. Also, I meet more than the minimum requirements for the major I chose.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, community college, nationally in US, offer some sort of term called "guaranteed admission" if you take the classes and get the above GPA such and such for the particular school you are interested in. Thus, this makes transferring easier than going to university straight from high school, provided you get the grades and the classes. However, some people spend 3 years in community college and thus take a bit longer vs have a harder time adapting and studying in the new environment.

I think, in my opinion, is that you should stay in florida and attend UF university because cal state schools in california do not get much recognition adn the student quality there might disappoint you (I went to UC Irvine, which is next to cal state fullerton) Plus, the out of state tuition for cal state is just not worth it. For a UC, out of state tuition will be another story.

Plus, i hear getting a high GPA in cal state is sometimes harder than in a UC because most of the classes are book work and memorization that students just study and the tests are straight off of that. In UC, the curve works because students study broader range of information and sometimes didn't do the test well, so if you know how to study, in a UC, it is easier to get a higher GPA.

USC is considered an easier school to get into due to its being the most expensive dental school.

yes, community college, nationally in US, offer some sort of term called "guaranteed admission" if you take the classes and get the above GPA such and such for the particular school you are interested in. Thus, this makes transferring easier than going to university straight from high school, provided you get the grades and the classes. However, some people spend 3 years in community college and thus take a bit longer vs have a harder time adapting and studying in the new environment.

I think, in my opinion, is that you should stay in florida and attend UF university because cal state schools in california do not get much recognition adn the student quality there might disappoint you (I went to UC Irvine, which is next to cal state fullerton) Plus, the out of state tuition for cal state is just not worth it. For a UC, out of state tuition will be another story.

USC is considered an easier school to get into due to its being the most expensive dental school.
Thank you for the reply! I was considering the state universities only because they seemed to be less expensive than the others. Are there any UCs near L.A. that are good with out of state tuition? UCLA is like 60k a year and I'm hoping to spend around that in total for the two years there. Or maybe ones that have good scholarship opportunities for out of state? A lot seem to be geared towards Cali residents.

I guess because you went straight out of high school you don't know this but you get priority as a transfer student if you went there first. Also, I meet more than the minimum requirements for the major I chose.

Unless you went to a community college in Gainsville, I don't see how you would have a priority over countless of students trying to transfer from other state universities. UF doesn't have an association with any college where students are guaranteed a transfer. Your goal should really be to graduate undergrad with the least debt possible and staying in state is by far the best option. Not to mention that FL is not overly saturated with dentists unlike CA.

Also it is more likely that some of your FL classes will not count for anything at a Californian university, so you are looking at potentially making your education longer than it needs to be. UF is one of the top feeder undergrad institutions, so you should have no problem of getting into a CA dental school.

Last edited:
Just because you want to open a practice in Cali does not mean you have to go to school in Cali. Just go to UF and earn high marks.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the reply! I was considering the state universities only because they seemed to be less expensive than the others. Are there any UCs near L.A. that are good with out of state tuition? UCLA is like 60k a year and I'm hoping to spend around that in total for the two years there. Or maybe ones that have good scholarship opportunities for out of state? A lot seem to be geared towards Cali residents.

yes, UC tuition is outrageous but most students that go to UC are on full financial aide (such as myself) thus the OOS tuition is even more outrageous. They try to make up the tuition by accepting more OOS students. UC tuition is the same across the board no matter where you went (may be cost of living is different) same with cal state schools (same tuition across the board). There are only UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside in south california but only UCLA is near beverly hills and UC Irvine is in the middle of orange county, 1 hour drive from beverly hills. There are out of state scholarship (aka school specific scholarship probably 5-6k a year, yea a droplet of water in a bucket).

Not bashing cal state students by any mean but
from high school, as long as you have above 3.0 GPA, any score on SAT, and complete A-Z high school requirement, you are guaranteed a slot in your local cal state school. There is limited research positions in cal states while UC schools are full, so much a lot, with research positions. If you take a look at ADEa guide lines, you can see that most students matriculated are from UCs and private universities, very few are from cal state universities.

I honestly don't see while you have to come to california for a cal state school. you can come practice in beverly hills when you become a dentist.

Unless you went to a community college in Gainsville, I don't see how you would have a priority over countless of students trying to transfer from other state universities. UF doesn't have an association with any college where students are guaranteed a transfer. Your goal should really be to graduate undergrad with the least debt possible and staying in state is by far the best option. Not to mention that FL is not overly saturated with dentists unlike CA.

Also it is more likely that some of your FL classes will not count for anything at a Californian university, so you are looking at potentially making your education longer than it needs to be. UF is one of the top feeder undergrad institutions, so you should have no problem of getting into a CA dental school.
I'm just stating what the advisor at UF as well as their website told me. Graduates of a Florida public community college will receive priority. Plain and simple as that. I didn't say there was direct connect like Valencia-UCF. I said I have a 'pretty good chance' which is what my advisor at UF told me...
Anyway I'd like any further replies to address the question I asked about going to a state university versus a top university. Thanks for the response about that portion.

yes, UC tuition is outrageous but most students that go to UC are on full financial aide (such as myself) thus the OOS tuition is even more outrageous. They try to make up the tuition by accepting more OOS students. UC tuition is the same across the board no matter where you went (may be cost of living is different) same with cal state schools (same tuition across the board). There are only UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside in south california but only UCLA is near beverly hills and UC Irvine is in the middle of orange county, 1 hour drive from beverly hills. There are out of state scholarship (aka school specific scholarship probably 5-6k a year, yea a droplet of water in a bucket).

Not bashing cal state students by any mean but
from high school, as long as you have above 3.0 GPA, any score on SAT, and complete A-Z high school requirement, you are guaranteed a slot in your local cal state school. There is limited research positions in cal states while UC schools are full, so much a lot, with research positions. If you take a look at ADEa guide lines, you can see that most students matriculated are from UCs and private universities, very few are from cal state universities.

I honestly don't see while you have to come to california for a cal state school. you can come practice in beverly hills when you become a dentist.
Yeah I really have just wanted to live in California my whole life and thought it would be easier if I moved there for school instead of trying to learn the area while opening my practice. I wanted to have those cali connections first. I wanted to go to usc so bad growing up but then I realized I don't have the money and I'm out of state and don't have many scholarship options. And ucla is a better location but still to expensive. Basically you answered my question though. The cal state schools have no reputation and it would probably be harder to get into ucla or usc dent. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to the University of Florida with a good chance of getting in because I went to a community college first. My GPA is 3.72 as of right now. I don't want to stay in Florida. I actually want to live in Los Angeles and eventually have my dental practice there (or Beverly Hills) as my life goal. I figured the quickest way to get there is school.
Will it hurt my chances of getting into a good dental school (USC for example if I could find a way to pay) by going to Cal State Fullerton or Los Angeles (just because they are near the area I want to live in)? Or will I have better chances by going to UF just because of ranking? I hope that made sense and wasn't too long.
Thank you!

Have you ever actually lived in LA? Or California for that matter?

Because LA is an awful place to live. It's not what you imagine in your head.

Sorry LA people.
well I know that it is hard but I still want to live there. People think it's impossible to make it in Florida but it isn't and I hate it here. So, I'd just like to move where I have always wanted to live and besides if I go to a good school it won't be as bad or unprotected as it would if I were to live on my own. I'd rather know that I like it now and then try and get a practice out there than to not have the chance until I do open it, you know?

I honestly think its better to go to the school that gives the least amount of debt whether it's university or dental school, it makes life a lot less complicated than it already is. ^^

I have zero undergrad debt through private scholarship and going to FL for dental school with HPSP scholarship so what do I know....

I honestly think its better to go to the school that gives the least amount of debt whether it's university or dental school, it makes life a lot less complicated than it already is. ^^

I have zero undergrad debt through private scholarship and going to FL for dental school with HPSP scholarship so what do I know....
I have heard of that scholarship. Can you get one of those and go to dental school in Cali??

I have heard of that scholarship. Can you get one of those and go to dental school in Cali??

HPSP (Army easier than Navy, Navy easier than Airforce) is a military binding contract in which they provide you tuition + housing expense + stipend for 4 years and you work for them for 4 years. you have a choice of ranking your desired locations but you can't dictate where you wanna be during your service. You can be deployed for 1 year during your 4 year and move around as they command. As long as you qualify for any branch HPSP, you can go to cheapest or the most expensive (USC in your mind), they don't care as long as it is an accredited US dental school that will make you a certified licensed dentist in 4 year.

you have to go meet up with your local area's medical recruiter (not just the enlisted recruiter) and they will set up the paperwork and tell you additional information.

HPSP (Army easier than Navy, Navy easier than Airforce) is a military binding contract in which they provide you tuition + housing expense + stipend for 4 years and you work for them for 4 years. you have a choice of ranking your desired locations but you can't dictate where you wanna be during your service. You can be deployed for 1 year during your 4 year and move around as they command. As long as you qualify for any branch HPSP, you can go to cheapest or the most expensive (USC in your mind), they don't care as long as it is an accredited US dental school that will make you a certified licensed dentist in 4 year.

you have to go meet up with your local area's medical recruiter (not just the enlisted recruiter) and they will set up the paperwork and tell you additional information.
ohhh never mind I was thinking of NHSC

Here's my opinion as someone who also transferred (from another state school) to UF.

First of all, I think you're right about having a good shot to transfer out of community college. I had a tougher time trying to transfer out of a 4-year college because they mainly offer those spots to community college transfers. My orientation group was almost exclusively filled with people who took the CC route.

If you're worried about getting into a California school from Florida, I'd say you have the right to worry because I haven't heard about too many people from UF getting accepted to the schools they've applied to there. The exception is USC, probably because they are private and expensive. However, most of the people I know who have applied from UF to dental schools in general tend to get into great schools in other areas. I actually don't know anyone that has applied in the past couple of years that hasn't at least gotten in somewhere. It might be because of the access to the dental school, which offers great volunteering and research opportunities that a lot of people take advantage of.

So if you're completely set on going to a school in Cali, you probably will be better off going to college there. If you're just trying to get into dental school in general, UF is a great place to be pre-dent with all of the resources available.

Just don't go to FSU and you'll be fine ;)

Here's my opinion as someone who also transferred (from another state school) to UF.

First of all, I think you're right about having a good shot to transfer out of community college. I had a tougher time trying to transfer out of a 4-year college because they mainly offer those spots to community college transfers. My orientation group was almost exclusively filled with people who took the CC route.

If you're worried about getting into a California school from Florida, I'd say you have the right to worry because I haven't heard about too many people from UF getting accepted to the schools they've applied to there. The exception is USC, probably because they are private and expensive. However, most of the people I know who have applied from UF to dental schools in general tend to get into great schools in other areas. I actually don't know anyone that has applied in the past couple of years that hasn't at least gotten in somewhere. It might be because of the access to the dental school, which offers great volunteering and research opportunities that a lot of people take advantage of.

So if you're completely set on going to a school in Cali, you probably will be better off going to college there. If you're just trying to get into dental school in general, UF is a great place to be pre-dent with all of the resources available.

Just don't go to FSU and you'll be fine ;)
You are awesome haha especially for the FSU joke. Yeah I definitely looked forward to taking advantage of the dental clinic if I got in. But as you said my heart is set on Cali. Of course I would be happy to get into UF if I don't get into any of those in Cali, but I would be ecstatic just to be in Cali if I got into the others. I guess I will keep my options open and not cross out Cal State LA or Fullerton just because they aren't one of the UCs. Cali seems to give Cali residents priority when it comes to everything, including their jobs..but that's a post for another forum.

well I know that it is hard but I still want to live there. People think it's impossible to make it in Florida but it isn't and I hate it here. So, I'd just like to move where I have always wanted to live and besides if I go to a good school it won't be as bad or unprotected as it would if I were to live on my own. I'd rather know that I like it now and then try and get a practice out there than to not have the chance until I do open it, you know?
What is it about FL that you hate, and how do you think it will be different in CA? What is it about CA that appeals to you?

How's your financial situation? I'm now a 1st year dental student. I did the 2 years in CC in FL and intented to go to UF afterwards too, but I found out that higher ranking private schools would actually provide more financial aid to me than public universities like UF. There are also many private universities that encourage transfer students and do not require an SAT score (which was a bonus because I hadn't taken it coming from a CC). To name a couple: Cornell, Hopkins, Emory. Look into those, and I would strongly recommend you apply to them. I came from 1 of those universities and was invited to interview at UCSF Dental, which was the only Cali school I applied to.

I've been in both UC and CSU system. Overall, it's not easy to get A in both systems. UC you do have a curve but also you have geniuses. CSU in overall, they had little to no curve. You also want to consider how the class availabilities are. Last time I took classes (2013), both systems were still affected by budget cuts and there was an insane number of waitlists. If you want to finish in 4 years, you might want to find out about that info as well.
IMO, it is easier to get to know your professors in CSUs due to small class sizes (30 vs 100 at UC). In terms of research, I never saw anyone finding a research position at CSU.