May 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I am currently a pre-clinical medical student in Hong Kong. I have an uncle in the US and my family applied for family reunification immigration to the US. After 15 years of waiting, we have been notified by USCIS that we can obtain our green cards in the coming two years. To be honest, I did not make any plans about developing my medical career in the US before, but I am now seriously considering this possibility. However, if I decide to move to the US, I have a very low chance to return to Hong Kong as the medical council in Hong Kong does not recognise foreign medical trainings. In other words, this is a one-way road. Should I stay in Hong Kong or move to the US?

Jul 22, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I am currently a pre-clinical medical student in Hong Kong. I have an uncle in the US and my family applied for family reunification immigration to the US. After 15 years of waiting, we have been notified by USCIS that we can obtain our green cards in the coming two years. To be honest, I did not make any plans about developing my medical career in the US before, but I am now seriously considering this possibility. However, if I decide to move to the US, I have a very low chance to return to Hong Kong as the medical council in Hong Kong does not recognise foreign medical trainings. In other words, this is a one-way road. Should I stay in Hong Kong or move to the US?
Going off of what bonejorno said, this is going to be depend on whether you want to live in the US or HK.
That being said, as an asian-American male I honestly would recommend staying in HK. You can pm me if you want for reasons.

Reactions: Chris_Wong

Naruhodo

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2016
I think both the above posters are right about location preference. We were just visiting some family friends originally from HK. Eldest daughter was 14 when the family immigrated, and she said there was an adjustment period in the education system and that she considers herself lucky to have gotten into an excellent US university (Berkeley). I don't know exactly how old the other daughter was when they came, but she's now finishing up her medical residency in upstate NY (mom says it's freezing and she hates it though, and she will be moving back to southern California for fellowship ASAP). It's hard to move between systems in *either* direction as a medical doctor, so try to project forward which place you see yourself long-term. It might be worth talking to physicians in both countries to see if you get a sense of pros/cons in practicing either place, though my impression from a limited sample is that workload/income/prestige are roughly comparable (with giant inter-specialty variability both places).

Also, you are already *in* medical school in HK, versus the incredible pain in the neck it is to get into medical school in the US (especially as a foreign graduate). Depending on how many years you have left in you degree, you might consider coming to the US for residency training after medical school. It will also be challenging/expensive (take the step exams, jump through all the hoops to get good recs, etc.) but at least you shouldn't add too much more time to training going that route.

Minor tip, and your name is generic enough that this may not be an issue, but many posters chose to use pseudonemes on this site for anonymity.

YoushallpassthyMCAT

2+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
American life is not for everyone. There's some cultural difference even in area with most Eastern Asians. I don't know about the health system in HK or your current living situation so it's hard to decide for you.

I would move only if you feel like your living situation or job opportunity will improve.

honey0102

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You can PM me for details but I'd recommend staying in HK. After speaking to multiple International Medical Graduates I know it's no easy feat to become a doctor here after having studied medicine abroad. And if you intend to apply to medical school here...that is pretty difficult too. So yeah, highly recommend HK but you can PM me if you want to know more

miu2015

2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Every country has its own problems, but America is great in my opinion. It is not easy to obtain a green card to come to live in America , but it is easy to leave if things do not work out. Medical school in the US is challenging, but how would you know you cannot do it if you do not at least try? No one can decide where you should live but you because you know yourself best. I enjoy new experience and think it's such a blessing to be able to attend college in the US! Good luck to you.

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do you want to work in HK or the US? If you're already in med school you will likely face a much longer road in terms of time if you want to restart in the US.

Aug 16, 2017
I know at least 3 Chris Wongs =)

If you decide to immigrate, make sure you finish your medical program in HK and then apply for residency here. Hard, if not impossible to transfer into a med school here.

Espadaleader

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Status
Medical Student
If you are already in medical school in HK, stay there and finish it. You won’t have trouble matching in the US coming from HK if you’re doing IM/primary care.

Sep 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If you want to practice medicine in the US, come to school here.
If not, there are schools that are qualified closer to home as well.
But it’s an uphill battle to get a US residency from a foreign school no matter where it’s located. Of course it can be done, but it’s a challenge

Aug 16, 2017
@Chris_Wong If you do decide to come, timing is key. As an immigrant myself, I know that there is a certain window where you need to make the move and after you make the move, you need to be in the US at least every 6 months or you lose your green card and cannot apply for citizenship later.

But first, you need to figure out where you want to spend the rest of your life.

Jul 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I abandoned foreign medical school to come to US medical school, I'm an 2nd year medical student now, while my classmates back home are second year residents!! In the hindsight I wish I had finished my med school back home and came here for residency!