Should I go to this Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjinferno7

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if I'm posting this to the correct thread, but I wanted to ask for other's opinions on my situation. So I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to 4 schools, one being a top 20 that I absolutely loved and could see myself at for sure (Sinai). I also am waiting to hear back in the next month or so on decisions from four other top 20's that I have interviewed at. However, I was recently invited to interview at Emory. I think Emory is an amazing school that I've heard great things about and had I not been accepted to Sinai yet I would for sure not think twice about attending this interview, but I am having trouble deciding if it would be worth it.

Travel would cost about 250$ and of course I would have to put in the time and energy to prepare for this interview/ undergo the stress of traveling when I thought I was most likely finished with my interview season. All things equal, I just cannot see myself attending Emory over Sinai (or a few of the other schools I am waiting on).

However, I do not want to regret not going and maybe missing out on a school that I would love or would possibly offer me some scholarship $ or maybe a better financial aid package. Is Emory known for offering more aid? What would you do in this situation? I am open to anyones advice and thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on MSAR alone, tuition for Sinai and Emory are exactly the same and Sinai is in a more expensive area. However, Emory has a nearly ~25k higher average debt per student.

Based on their website, Emory does give a very small number of full-tuition scholarships to people with very high community service.

It’s really up to you. But I would just decline the interview. Doesn’t seem worth it.

Although super low key I might be saying this so that I can get your interview :oops:

I'm not even sure if I'm posting this to the correct thread, but I wanted to ask for other's opinions on my situation. So I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to 4 schools, one being a top 20 that I absolutely loved and could see myself at for sure (Sinai). I also am waiting to hear back in the next month or so on decisions from four other top 20's that I have interviewed at. However, I was recently invited to interview at Emory. I think Emory is an amazing school that I've heard great things about and had I not been accepted to Sinai yet I would for sure not think twice about attending this interview, but I am having trouble deciding if it would be worth it.

Travel would cost about 250$ and of course I would have to put in the time and energy to prepare for this interview/ undergo the stress of traveling when I thought I was most likely finished with my interview season. All things equal, I just cannot see myself attending Emory over Sinai (or a few of the other schools I am waiting on).

However, I do not want to regret not going and maybe missing out on a school that I would love or would possibly offer me some scholarship $ or maybe a better financial aid package. Is Emory known for offering more aid? What would you do in this situation? I am open to anyones advice and thanks for your input.
Nah, if you already have 4 acceptances and would be happy with any one of them, don't go to any more interviews. Weigh very carefully the schools you already have acceptances from. Give the Interview slot to someone else who may not otherwise have any. Also, decide soon which one of those 4 you want, so that 3 other people may get acceptances that may not otherwise have had any.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you would pick Emory over Sinai provided they gave you a better financial aid package, I would commit to the interview. In the grand scheme of the lengthy and often grueling medical school application process, $250 and a couple days of preparation are a small price to pay to make sure you have done everything in your power to achieve the optimal result. Of course, if you know in your mind that you would never take Emory over Sinai, then I would decline the interview.

You should go

Can you go into any specifics why?
You have no idea what might change your mind about Emory. You should check the school out to truly get a feel of the environment there. Additionally, you might get a scholarship from Emory, reducing the cost of tuition significantly compared to Mt. S. You might be able to leverage more scholarship money if that happens.

I think any top 20 II should be considered.

Reactions: 1 user
Mount Sinai is a good school but I can't image why it's considered "top 20". you owe it to yourself to check out Emory.

Mount Sinai is a good school but I can't image why it's considered "top 20". you owe it to yourself to check out Emory.
Thanks for your input. I've decided to attend the interview. May I ask why you feel this way about Sinai?

Thanks for your input. I've decided to attend the interview. May I ask why you feel this way about Sinai?

Sinai's a good school. If it's your only acceptance, you're in a great spot.

There are 5-10 "top" schools where prestige and superb match lists are apparent, but really, ranking med schools is a fools errand. Also keep in mind that the US News methodology is inherently flawed, as it takes into account numerous factors that are irrelevant.

Sinai's a good school. If it's your only acceptance, you're in a great spot.

There are 5-10 "top" schools where prestige and superb match lists are apparent, but really, ranking med schools is a fools errand. Also keep in mind that the US News methodology is inherently flawed, as it takes into account numerous factors that are irrelevant.
So is it a significant step down from the rest of the top 20's? And also, would you therefore recommend that unless we are accepted to one of these 5-10 superb schools, to pick the school we like the best and not pay much attention to prestige?

They are both great schools and your future is all about what you do with the opportunities presented to you at either school. Emory is great especially if you envision doing collaborative work with people at CDC. It is great if you want to work with underserved communities at Grady. It is great if you fall in love with Atlanta (or with someone who lives, or wants to live in Atlanta). Mt. Sinai is great if you are interested in the big pockets of translational research going on there, or if you really want or need to live in NYC. Both Emory and Sinai have great palliative care instruction and mentors, which is important regardless of the ultimate field you choose. I am not all that familiar with their current pre-clinical curricula, but if there are major differences in terms of grading systems or the way material is presented, you might want to take into account which is best for the type of learner you are (if you know!) I think it is great you are willing to go on another interview and keep an open mind.

So is it a significant step down from the rest of the top 20's? And also, would you therefore recommend that unless we are accepted to one of these 5-10 superb schools, to pick the school we like the best and not pay much attention to prestige?

As far as the rest of the "top 20," they're all about the same as the top 100. As I noted, there's only 5-10 schools which are truly superb, and my opinion doesn't fully overlap with US News rankings, which is hogwash. Nowhere else would anyone consider NYU a "top 3" med school. Just remember that research funding and student teacher ratios are completely irrelevant in med school. Also remember that if you admissions office overly focuses on mcats, ranking goes up. Except that mcats are of limited importance.

So to answer your second question... if your choosing schools, outside of the "superb", best off choosing based on other factors. Because in reality, you don't learn anything about medicine until residency anyway. Quality of match lists is important, but as a premed, you probably don't know how to interpret this. Also, cost of attendance should be a major consideration.

As far as the rest of the "top 20," they're all about the same as the top 100. As I noted, there's only 5-10 schools which are truly superb, and my opinion doesn't fully overlap with US News rankings, which is hogwash. Nowhere else would anyone consider NYU a "top 3" med school. Just remember that research funding and student teacher ratios are completely irrelevant in med school. Also remember that if you admissions office overly focuses on mcats, ranking goes up. Except that mcats are of limited importance.

So to answer your second question... if your choosing schools, outside of the "superb", best off choosing based on other factors, and cost of attendance should be a major consideration.
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.