Should I go to Yeshiva University for Pre-Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andythegolfman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a pretty nice scholarship to Yeshiva University Undergrad and I want to pursue pre-med. I'm not sure about the quality of education or pre-med over there, do they have a good reputation? Does anyone here know anything about their program? The alternative would be to go to a pretty decent state school. price is equal.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an Underrepresented Minority and you are interested in AECOM, then the networking and connections that you make there will undoubtedly give you a place at the medical school. They follow their URM's from all stages of their education (including highschool) until they reach medical school. If the money is there and you dig New York, go for it.

I was told by my interviewer that a third of AECOM's class comes from Yeshiva University. If you maintain a decent GPA and break a 30, I'd venture to say you're almost guaranteed a seat at what is undeniably one of the finest schools in the country. I don't know of any other undergraduate that offers the same benefits.

Edit: Just looked it up. Yeshiva has 3000 undergrads, so roughly a class of 750. AECOM has a class of about 165, meaning roughly 55 come from Yeshiva. Assuming a quarter of your class is premed and all end up applying (probably an overestimation), and that half decline to go to yeshiva, you pretty much are guaranteed a seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by my interviewer that a third of AECOM's class comes from Yeshiva University. If you maintain a decent GPA and break a 30, I'd venture to say you're almost guaranteed a seat at what is undeniably one of the finest schools in the country. I don't know of any other undergraduate that offers the same benefits.

they are losing plenty of connections. only a few (2 or 3) this year from YU got into einstein. their connections to business and law are falling apart as well. This is what I hear from friends who attend YU, and family who teaches there.

i graduated yeshiva last jan and for info on my application look at my mdapps. id prefer not to discus my opinions of yeshiva in detail on a public forum, if u want to speak further send me a rpivate message. i have a very close relationship with a greta deal of the faculty at yeshiva so i can give u a decent perspective. (they took around 6-7 Yu students into einstein this year)

i seem to be getting mixed responses here
lets say i am interested in schools other than einstein?
i heard the area is trashy and success rates are dropping

i graduated yeshiva last jan and for info on my application look at my mdapps. id prefer not to discus my opinions of yeshiva in detail on a public forum, if u want to speak further send me a rpivate message. i have a very close relationship with a greta deal of the faculty at yeshiva so i can give u a decent perspective. (they took around 6-7 Yu students into einstein this year)

i see from your mdapps that you had really good stats and didnt get into einstein? everyone here is saying that u basically get in if u dont fail...
?!

i see from your mdapps that you had really good stats and didnt get into einstein? everyone here is saying that u basically get in if u dont fail...
?!

that seems to be the attitude that is screwing over a lot of YU kids these days. listen, i love my friends up in the heights, but the biggest trend i see with many YU kids is this sense of entitlement. they assume things will just be given to them, and they dont put in the same work ethic and dedication that the brilliant people teaching them (no sarcasm here, YU has some amazing faculty)there are trying to instill.

Listen, I went to yeshiva (not for college, but everything up until). I have seen the sense of entitlement and have seen it ruin many pre meds/law/business.

that seems to be the attitude that is screwing over a lot of YU kids these days. listen, i love my friends up in the heights, but the biggest trend i see with many YU kids is this sense of entitlement. they assume things will just be given to them, and they dont put in the same work ethic and dedication that the brilliant people teaching them (no sarcasm here, YU has some amazing faculty)there are trying to instill.

Listen, I went to yeshiva (not for college, but everything up until). I have seen the sense of entitlement and have seen it ruin many pre meds/law/business.

im not talking about some inherent entitlement, im talking about not getting into a sister medical school after earning a great (3.8X) GPA and an superior MCAT score... i agree with you that there should be no sense of entitlement, but after working your *** off (as from what I hear, the workload at Yeshiva is tremendous) i would expect that there would be some sort of reciprocal demonstration of commitment

im not talking about some inherent entitlement, im talking about not getting into a sister medical school after earning a great (3.8X) GPA and an superior MCAT score... i agree with you that there should be no sense of entitlement, but after working your *** off (as from what I hear, the workload at Yeshiva is tremendous) i would expect that there would be some sort of reciprocal demonstration of commitment

There are no "for sures" in this process, sorta like in life.

listen, you started this thread for advice, and what im telling you is that if you work hard, get great grades, do well for yourself, youll get in anywhere you want. and i really hope you do. you seem like a very motivated person. just the YU advantage over at Einstein isnt what it used to be. i know in the past that it was a shoe-in, but things have dramatically changed over the past few years.

if YU is offering you money, then tzai gezunt. just dont expect it automatically suttle you into the Bronx after four years.

if you have a great GPA and a superior MCAT score it doesnt matter where the hell you went...just pick your school.:rolleyes:

Going to YU will not guarantee an admissions at Einstein. Nothing can guarantee you anything in the crazy world of Medical School Admissions. You have to put your effort into your studies and do what you can do to the best of your ability and then leave the rest up to Hashem. You being a possible YU student, I know that I can say this. You should go to YU because you want to combine your Secular Studies with Torah/Judaic/Yeshiva studies. It will be double the work than at any other university. If it is what you want, then go after it, work hard, and you will be successful. With a scholarship, I would say it is a great choice. May try Touro College also. They have an undergrad, and a few osteopathic medical schools, and a new allopathic medical school opening soon. Best of luck.

It will be double the work than at any other university..
Yeah, a double major would be double the work of a normal, single major... Don't pick your school based on how it will help in the "prestige" factor of getting into medical school... If you want to go to a school with like-minded people who study similar things and that makes you happy, then go for it. Picking your undergrad JUST based on past performers in the apps process is anecdotal at best.

Oh, and college is hard almost anywhere you go.