Should I have applied to DO too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnteed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This cycle I applied only to MD schools with a 3.5 Overall gpa, 3.25 Sci gpa & 32 MCAT. I have been complete at almost all of the 20+ schools that I applied for well over a month, yet I have heard absolutely nothing but holds and rejections. Before this process began, I was kind of counting on my extra curricular activities (a mistake, I know) to counteract my somewhat low total gpa and my very low sci gpa.

mdapps profile: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10831

I know it is still early, but I am kind of freaking out with all of this waiting and seriously doubting my chances at MD schools. I was wondering whether I should rush and try to complete the AAMCOS and apply to some D.O. schools knowing that I will be at a disadvantage cause its getting late in the cycle...or, do I have a decent/reasonable chance at securing at least 3-5 interviews (an amount that I think would give me a solid shot at an acceptance) to the schools that I have already applied?

I sincerely appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoulda, coulda, but didn't

BTW, why aren't you asking people who actually apply to osteopathic schools in the pre-do forum?

I would apply now. I don't think you'd be too late considering some of their deadlines are in Feb/March. It's only September. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely still have a chance at the DO schools, I think they get a lot of late apps because people freak out after having no MD invites/acceptances. The deadline for primary app for a lot of the schools is something like Feb. But the question is are you ok being a DO? Have you accepted the fact that you will be required to learn OMM? DO schools are competitive as well and if you make to the interview stage and are completely disinterested etc, it will likely come across during your interview, making acceptance unlikely. So if you really want to be a DO or just a physician and don't care about the letters after your name, apply DO and get your app in as early as possible. Personally I am just looking to become a physician and that is why I applied to both from the get go. Either way, good luck.

I think your excellent ECs have a good chance of trumping your lower GPA at some schools you've listed. Assuming a good PS, LORS, and interview skills I think you'll likely get into an MD school, if they look past your numbers to see the rest of your application. That said, applying broadly gives you the best chance at an acceptance somewhere. I'd have applied to a few DO schools to increase my chances at having only one application year. You still have time to do the same.

Be patient. My first interview was in January and my last was in June of my application year.

Last edited: