Medical Should I have someone make recommendation calls to medical school admissions deans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently waitlisted at 6 MD programs for this upcoming year. I recently got in touch with the doctor who ran the lab where I did research all throughout college. I asked if he would be willing to call the admissions dean at my top choice school, which is where I would 100% commit and have sent a letter of intent, in support of me, and he did. A few days after our conversation I sent an email to the dean of admissions just as another letter of intent. I also recently just completed my job as a scribe and was talking with one of the doctors at the office, and he offered to put in another call to the admissions dean, saying the more calls the better. I am beyond grateful for the offer and to have such wonderful mentors and guides - my only concern is that the dean of admissions would be annoyed by having their time taken up by another phone call when they are already very busy. I want to be considerate but also want to make the most of any help offered to me. Do you think it would be bothersome or annoying for the dean of admissions to receive another phone call, or would it be better to have more people calling the dean in support of me? @Mr.Smile12 , @Goro , @LizzyM , please advise - I very much appreciate any help and guidance you can give. Thank you in advance!
This is just going to annoy the Admissions Dean and his/her staff.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know where you are on the alternate list, but most schools should have a management process set up so that such calls would have little impact. You also dont know if the school has any wiggle room since you don't know how many CTE spots have been claimed.

At worst and as @Goro has mentioned, the worst case scenario is that the Admissions Dean and Director get annoyed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If the school has made too many offers and needs to shed admitted applicants, it will not go to the waitlist and your pleading is for naught. If the school is perfectly filled, again, no one is coming off the waitlist and you and your supporters are wasting their time. Only if there is a need to go to the waitlist, will there be a possibility that you would come to mind as an interested candidated. You are not on the waitlist because you are in some way deficient, but that there are insufficient space in the med school program to add even one more student.

I know that you have offers of admission so you are going to medical school. Whether you get to go to a school you like more than those that have already admitted you will depend on whether those schools you really like are turned down by enough admitted candidates to open up a spot for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.