Should I hold off on applying this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rossman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have some good stats but some ugly stuff in my application. I'm a junior right now in studying biology. I'm not sure what to do and can't ask any dental schools. Not sure if I should just wait to apply, maybe I should ask some dental students as well to see their opinion?

The Good:
-cGPA: 3.90
-sGPA: 3.89
-DAT: AA/TS/PA
21/21/19
-Personal statement described as "very strong" and "sincere" by a couple editors
-100 hours of shadowing
-President of club, won awards, good ECs

The Bad:
-Big lack on dental focused volunteering. I volunteered as an EMT probably less than 30 hours in two years.
-Only decided to pursue dental as of ~3 months ago.
-****ty LORs. I have 1 OK, 1 generic, 1 from a dentist (no idea how it'll be), and 1 strong from my club faculty sponsor.
-Averaging 13.8 credits/semester

The Ugly:
*I should mention that I was charged by the university under their stuff, not the judicial law or real police.

My freshman year I was charged with possession of marijuana paraphernalia and it's on my conduct record (been clean since then!). If I apply this semester, all the dental schools will know about it, and I'll be competing against tons of people who have clean conduct records. I don't know how this will really effect me. If I wait, I'm eligible to expunge my record my final semester in college, so I don't ever have to mention it I think and I can apply with a clean record.

Do dental schools keep records on past applicants, would they know about my conduct record if I applied both cycles and expunge it the second time around? How negatively does this really effect me?

So the big question, do I apply this semester or take a year to build up my app and expunge my record to apply?

Thanks everyone, and good luck in preparing!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That'll always be against you as I understand it. Not sure what to tell you....

Members don't see this ad :)
You have great stats, like upper 90 percentile, I would apply as soon as possible.

Hi everyone,

I made a thread in the pre-dental forum, but seeing as one of the most helpful people to ask would be dental students involved in the admissions process I want to get your direct opinion as well.

In short, I have a student conduct record of possession of marijuana paraphernalia my freshman year. I can either apply this cycle, or wait to expunge and apply with a clean record. I'm not sure on whether either of those are a good idea, and hoping you could weigh in on the situation. My full stats are listed below.

The Good:
21/21/19
-Personal statement described as "very strong" and "sincere" by a couple editors
-100 hours of shadowing

The Bad:
-Big lack on dental focused volunteering. I volunteered as an EMT probably less than 30 hours in two years.
-Mediocre LORs. I have 1 OK, 1 generic, 1 from a dentist (no idea how it'll be), and 1 strong from my club faculty sponsor.

The Ugly:
My freshman year I was charged with possession of marijuana paraphernalia and it's on my conduct record. If I apply this semester, all the dental schools will know about it, and I'll be competing against tons of people who have clean conduct records. I don't know how this will really effect me. If I wait, I'm eligible to expunge my record my final semester in college, so I don't ever have to mention it I think and I can apply with a clean record.

Do dental schools keep records on past applicants, would they know about my conduct record if I applied both cycles and expunge it the second time around? How negatively does this really effect me?

You have great stats, like upper 90 percentile, I would apply as soon as possible.
:( Yeah, makes me really regret my dumb decisions freshman year. I was 18 and not that smart. I'm still pretty dumb, but I was then, too :)

Be responsible everyone. I may have worked this hard for nothing for my mistake.

Hi everyone,

I made a thread in the pre-dental forum, but seeing as one of the most helpful people to ask would be dental students involved in the admissions process I want to get your direct opinion as well.

In short, I have a student conduct record of possession of marijuana paraphernalia my freshman year. I can either apply this cycle, or wait to expunge and apply with a clean record. I'm not sure on whether either of those are a good idea, and hoping you could weigh in on the situation. My full stats are listed below.

The Good:
21/21/19
-100 hours of shadowing

The Bad:
-Mediocre LORs. I have 1 OK, 1 generic, 1 from a dentist (no idea how it'll be), and 1 strong from my club faculty sponsor.

The Ugly:
My freshman year I was charged with possession of marijuana paraphernalia and it's on my conduct record. If I apply this semester, all the dental schools will know about it, and I'll be competing against tons of people who have clean conduct records. I don't know how this will really effect me. If I wait, I'm eligible to expunge my record my final semester in college, so I don't ever have to mention it I think and I can apply with a clean record.

Funny you should mention this. I had a good friend when I applied have the EXACT same charge. His stats were 3.0 GPA, 21 DAT, TONS of volunteering and predental experience.

He got TOTALLY grilled at one interview (and honestly, we know the charge is what kept him from getting in there) but it never came up at the other 2 and he got into the other 2 schools he applied to. This is a really tough call, and ultimately will be up to you, but I'm sure you will get in somewhere. If it does come up in an interview, then you will know that you have to be honest, admit what you did, show how you have changed (I hope so- we don't need professionals doing illegal drugs, no matter how innocent). You stats are too good for you to not get in anywhere, but at the same time, I'm sure it will limit you a bit.

Funny you should mention this. I had a good friend when I applied have the EXACT same charge. His stats were 3.0 GPA, 21 DAT, TONS of volunteering and predental experience.

He got TOTALLY grilled at one interview (and honestly, we know the charge is what kept him from getting in there) but it never came up at the other 2 and he got into the other 2 schools he applied to. This is a really tough call, and ultimately will be up to you, but I'm sure you will get in somewhere. If it does come up in an interview, then you will know that you have to be honest, admit what you did, show how you have changed (I hope so- we don't need professionals doing illegal drugs, no matter how innocent). You stats are too good for you to not get in anywhere, but at the same time, I'm sure it will limit you a bit.
Thanks for reply, that makes me feel a little better that it's not a silent insta-reject.

What about the case if I expunge my record? Do dental schools still know even though it's expunged/they care? If I end up applying twice, the second time without the record, would it still matter?

:( Yeah, makes me really regret my dumb decisions freshman year. I was 18 and not that smart. I'm still pretty dumb, but I was then, too :)

Be responsible everyone. I may have worked this hard for nothing for my mistake.
It's not a felony, so relax. Yea, you'll most likely have to explain it in an interview, but by no means is it a deal breaker.

You will most likely be accepted somewhere just mainly on stats alone. But the upper-tier schools will be looking for dental related accomplishments and what had led you to this profession. Based on what you provided, you're lacking that. Your previous record won't play too big a role, but be able to expand and answer questions regarding the situation when asked.

You'll get in somewhere. GPA+DAT+applying early > everything else as long as you don't have giant red flags. EC's and dental experience are okay to have, but aren't really deal breakers as long as you shadowed some and have a letter from a dentist.

I think you should be fine. I think your charge is not nearly as bad as a DUI because it puts other people's lives in danger, and people have gotten in with those. Explain it well and it should be OK.

If you choose to apply this year, be sure to answer any and all questiosn regarding it. Also, be sure to clearly explain what you have learned from this expereince, etc.

Hey everyone,

I have some good stats but some ugly stuff in my application. I'm a junior right now in studying biology. I'm not sure what to do and can't ask any dental schools. Not sure if I should just wait to apply, maybe I should ask some dental students as well to see their opinion?

The Good:
21/21/19
-100 hours of shadowing

The Bad:
-****ty LORs. I have 1 OK, 1 generic, 1 from a dentist (no idea how it'll be), and 1 strong from my club faculty sponsor.

The Ugly:
*I should mention that I was charged by the university under their stuff, not the judicial law or real police.

My freshman year I was charged with possession of marijuana paraphernalia and it's on my conduct record (been clean since then!). If I apply this semester, all the dental schools will know about it, and I'll be competing against tons of people who have clean conduct records. I don't know how this will really effect me. If I wait, I'm eligible to expunge my record my final semester in college, so I don't ever have to mention it I think and I can apply with a clean record.

So the big question, do I apply this semester or take a year to build up my app and expunge my record to apply?

Thanks everyone, and good luck in preparing!

I believe you always have to report any criminal history on your application. You should still apply, though. Best of luck.

Be honest in your application (mention it)> don't mention it on your interview unless adcoms themselves bring it up.

Hard to say how each dental school is gonna react but I think your stats paint a different picture & you should be fine.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

1. I don't really know what to tell you about about the arrest...I know of a student at my college who had a reasonably high gpa and a great MCAT score (33 or 34) and couldn't get into any med. school because he was arrested his senior year of high school on drug possession charges. That is, however, med school so I am not sure if it applies to dentistry.

2. Do more shadowing before you apply. Trust me. I have very similar stats as you (3.95 gpa, 21/21/21) but had a minimal amound of shadowing. I foolishly believed that because I work full time in the summer and part time during the year it would cancel out my lack of dental experiance. Long story short, I recieved a couple rejections and 1 acceptance to my state school based on grades alone. I graduated in December and got more involved in dentistry, shadowing a dentist for 8 hrs. a week...I then updated the 2 schools that I was still under consideration at about a month ago, and recieved my second acceptance 2 days ago. Bottom line is that schools want you to have experiance. It is too competetive out there to just be an application of good grades and a good DAT score.

Also, I think that dental schools would like it if you took a year off and got involved in dentistry. It shows that you took the time to consider the career and didn't make any snap decisions. It wouldn't hurt either to work and save some money so you won't be completely broke for 4 years.

Even if you were to get it erased from your school record there is a section in AADSAS that states:

"Have you ever been found to have violated a school rule, policy or procedure, or an honor code; or have you otherwise been disqualified, put on probation, suspended, dismissed, expelled, or otherwise been subject to disciplinary action at any college/university in connection to misconduct? Please include any and all instances of misconduct, regardless of whether the school maintains a record of such misconduct or formal action, or whether it appears on your transcript."

Ethically, you should still report this incident according to the question asked to you, as an applicant. If not, you are not any better than someone who cheated their way to a 3.8 GPA, faked the DAT, or found another way to develop a falsified application.

Thanks for all the replies and help so far everyone. I'll continue shadowing and get involved in dental clinics throughout the application process so in my update letter I can also say I have 100+ hours of dental volunteering and some more dental shadowing.

I think I have to report any charges even if they were expunged as stated above, so I guess I'm going to give it my best shot. I can't change the past, so I'll keep heading into the future.

If anyone else has stories about people applying with conduct charges please do tell, it'll make me feel better :(

I agree with TwentyTwelve. You should disclose.
With your stats and a good LOR to substantiate your maturity and character, you will get in somewhere.

do you live in a state that has a dental school? if so, i would wait, get your record expunged, and then apply. your scores are good enough that you would most likely get into a state school if your state has one. the cost savings are worth it. additionally, if you only figured out that you wanted to pursue dentistry 3 months ago, a year of shadowing would only help you confirm this possible passion and add to your resume. if you do not have a state school, i would more seriously consider applying sooner.

your question about if dental schools keep records is a good one, and i would assume that they do.

also, i do not agree with twentytwelve, and i think he should get off his soap box with the "ethical" talk about reporting something so inconsequential, especially since it will be wiped from rossman's record in the future. cheating on the DAT doesn't even compare to possession of marijuana.

rossman, good luck getting into school.

do you live in a state that has a dental school? if so, i would wait, get your record expunged, and then apply. your scores are good enough that you would most likely get into a state school if your state has one. the cost savings are worth it. additionally, if you only figured out that you wanted to pursue dentistry 3 months ago, a year of shadowing would only help you confirm this possible passion and add to your resume. if you do not have a state school, i would more seriously consider applying sooner.

your question about if dental schools keep records is a good one, and i would assume that they do.

also, i do not agree with twentytwelve, and i think he should get off his soap box with the "ethical" talk about reporting something so inconsequential, especially since it will be wiped from rossman's record in the future. cheating on the DAT doesn't even compare to possession of marijuana.

rossman, good luck getting into school.

I'm not trying to get all "ethical" and preach from a soapbox, but speak about professionalism. The OP is trying to apply to a doctoral program where he/she will be performing irreversible surgical procedures. In this situation, the patients are totally at your mercy, the mercy of your hand skills and the mercy of your ethical bearing via the advice you give them. Thus, all I am suggesting is the OP be professional about his/her situation in the application to show a moral bearing and own up to it.

I do not think that possession of marijuana should keep one out of dental school. The problem I have is lying about the charges when specifically asked by AADSAS to detail troubles even though the school may not still have record of the incident. By not truthfully speaking of the incident, the OP is falsifying an application in their favor to increase the chances of gaining application. How is this any different than putting 500 shadowing hours when you only did 100, or cheating on the DAT to help your chances? All those lies will help your chances getting in to school, or at least getting an interview.

Just be professional about it, all schools know kids make mistakes, if your application is worth while, they will overlook the past. If you play your cards right and show how much you have grown since then it can work in your favor...trust me...I know from experience...