Should I Include Declined Research Award?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway122312252

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had received a research award that I ended up declining in favor for a more in-depth research opportunity. Looking around online it seemed like there was a mixed opinion on including it or leaving it out so I figured I would ask here. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry I should have been more clear with the original post. I was thinking of including it with the AMCAS Work/Activities section since I had some extra space left over for 1/2 more activities. This was for a summer studentship award where I would be funded for the summer and was a competitive application against MD students at my local school based on GPA and viability of the proposed research project. The position that I ended up accepting instead was for a full-time position that would span a full year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will have to give more info. Was it like an acceptance to a research program?

I believe I was in a similar position where I received an award that would have funded an internship at a non-profit, but I turned down the award for a paid employment opportunity. I chose not to list the award, because it was supposed to be for an experience that never happened. Even if it seemed valid to list it, I wouldn't have anything to say about it.

On the other hand, if your award is for recognition for something you've already done, I would definitely list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I don't think it will add much value that you declined an award in favor of a more in-depth research opportunity. On the AMCAS application, whether it'd be the work/activities descriptions, MMEs, personal statement or secondaries, word and character limits are a limiting factor. I think it will serve you better if you use those characters and words to better describe how you benefited from the research opportunity.

If you already declined then what's the question
You will have to give more info. Was it like an acceptance to a research program?

I believe I was in a similar position where I received an award that would have funded an internship at a non-profit, but I turned down the award for a paid employment opportunity. I chose not to list the award, because it was supposed to be for an experience that never happened. Even if it seemed valid to list it, I wouldn't have anything to say about it.

On the other hand, if your award is for recognition for something you've already done, I would definitely list it.
Sorry I should have been more clear with the original post. I was thinking of including it with the AMCAS Work/Activities section since I had some extra space left over for 1/2 more activities. This was for a summer studentship award where I would be funded for the summer and was a competitive application against MD students at my local school based on GPA and viability of the proposed research project. The position that I ended up accepting instead was for a full-time position that would span a full year.

Fair, but people normally group ALL their awards/honors in one section and leave the other spaces for other activities. If you use 1+ spots for something that can be grouped as one, it could be viewed as an effort to artificially enhance your app. Remember, its quality > quantity. More is not always better.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair, but people normally group ALL their awards/honors in one section and leave the other spaces for other activities. If you use 1+ spots for something that can be grouped as one, it could be viewed as an effort to artificially enhance your app. Remember, its quality > quantity. More is not always better.
So would you think I should include the declined award in an awards category alongside awards that I did accept or still just leave it off?

Reactions: 1 user
I had received a research award that I ended up declining in favor for a more in-depth research opportunity. Looking around online it seemed like there was a mixed opinion on including it or leaving it out so I figured I would ask here. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry I should have been more clear with the original post. I was thinking of including it with the AMCAS Work/Activities section since I had some extra space left over for 1/2 more activities. This was for a summer studentship award where I would be funded for the summer and was a competitive application against MD students at my local school based on GPA and viability of the proposed research project. The position that I ended up accepting instead was for a full-time position that would span a full year.
What are you hoping to prove and why do you think that this will impress a screener or Adcom member?

So would you think I should include the declined award in an awards category alongside awards that I did accept or still just leave it off?

I would just leave it off, as I assume you have other awards to discuss.

If you don't have other awards (and I don't mean to be disrespectful here by probing this), it would still be better to leave it off. Like @Goro said, if you include it, it can raise some eyebrows from the screener and Adcom member and shine a negative light on you. While there are success stories, such as the case for @NatGeoLover (congrats on your 7A's by the way!), I think it will be safer to not mention it.

Reactions: 1 users
What are you hoping to prove and why do you think that this will impress a screener or Adcom member?
I would just leave it off, as I assume you have other awards to discuss.

If you don't have other awards (and I don't mean to be disrespectful here by probing this), it would still be better to leave it off. Like @Goro said, if you include it, it can raise some eyebrows from the screener and Adcom member and shine a negative light on you. While there are success stories, such as the case for @NatGeoLover (congrats on your 7A's by the way!), I think it will be safer to not mention it.
I was thinking that having something fill in those blank spaces would have been better than nothing at all but I guess you guys are right. Probably wouldn't add anything to my application that isn't already stated elsewhere. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users