• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Should I include disadvantage in personal statement (when I already mentioned it in the disadvantage section)?

RipSpamilton

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I'm currently on, what it seems like, my 1000th revision of my personal statement and was wondering if it is worth including my disadvantages (when I already mentioned it in the adversity section of amcas)?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hi all,

I'm currently on, what it seems like, my 1000th revision of my personal statement and was wondering if it is worth including my disadvantages (when I already mentioned it in the adversity section of amcas)?
The PS is for Who am I? and Why Medicine?

About the Ads

xMikeyDay

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2018
Atlantis
  1. Pre-Medical
Personally, I chose to minimize mentioning my disadvantaged status in my PS (only mentioning it briefly in one of my anecdotes).
I think the disadvantaged section is enough. I would only mention it if it was a legitimate part of your path to medicine.

D

deleted1044561

I had a PS based on my background but it didn't properly address medicine so I scratched it. I feel like you're only given one really long essay about why medicine whereas you can mention adversity in multiple places

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.