Should I include family matters in Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroticButCute

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on the first draft of my PS for the upcoming application cycle. One topic that I am unsure about including is the personal/family matters that impacted my college life.
TL;DR version, I take care of my uncle because he had a leg amputated. In one semester, my husband lost his job and our family pet died so I was working more and emotionally distraught.
All of these factors impacted my grades (only for one semester). My question is this: should I include any of it in my PS or should I wait and put it on any secondaries? I've read it is good to explain discrepancies in your transcript in your PS, but I've also read it is bad to include negative things and I think that story is definitely negative and I don't want my PS to come off like I'm making excuses.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Recently accepted applicant. Stay positive.

I avoided discussing how a family tragedy impacted my grades and whatnot in my PS for fear it would look like I'm making excuses. What I did do was discuss how that tragedy changed my perspective, helped me better understand others in similar straits (future patients who will not be related to me), and pushed me toward medicine.

A lot of secondaries do ask about a challenge you've overcome. Use it as an opportunity to show your resilience and coping strategies in those essays.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't talk about grades in PS, good or bad... address why medicine and how your experiences/challenges you've faced has helped you grow as a person and will make you a great physician... address the grades on secondaries, many schools have a "is there anything else you would want us to know" or something along those lines, would make sense to bring it up there if you wanted to

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Uncle - sure, as long as it connects to your med story and you dont get bogged down with his story than yours. Not the pet.