should i include summa graduate on amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there really any need to include the fact that i was a summa graduate on my secondary experiences list? i figuere they can look at my GPA and see it is worthy of summa status and that would give me an extra slot to put something else. what did everyone else do?
thanks,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

summa...as in Summa Cum Laude Graduate - GPA of >3.9...sorry for not being clear.
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I am not sure that it quilifies as an EC. However, i think that you should deffinetely mention that in you personal statement.

No, don't even mention it on your personal statement. It has little to do about your motivations to be a physician. They'll figure it out when they look at your GPA.

-Bill

You can mention it when you talk about how much you have studies to reach your goal of being a physician. Since there is no place to mention this anywhere in your application, I think that personal statement is a good place to do that.

In my school, you would get summa recognition only if you had a GPA of 3.9 or higher and had done a thesis. I had the GPA, but I didn't do a thesis, so I didn't get that recognition. If I were you, I would include it. Doesn't do any harm, right? :wink:

It varies at each school--at my school, >3.8 is summa, and there were less than 20 of them, so it's a big deal. Nevertheless, if you have something more significant to put in that spot on AMCAS, I don't think you need to include summa since it's obvious from your GPA. If you have a spot open, it doesn't hurt to include it, sicne it is more prestigious than Dean's List and a little more rare. :wink:

thanks guys,
you are all so quick to respond. wow...it's so nice to have a place to ask questions and get such fast and thoughtful responses.
thanks again!
streetdoc

I think that you should include it as an honor in activities. I know a lot of people include honor societies and such in that section. One thing I have learned from this process is not to leave anything to the assumptions of the adcom. They look over things quickly, and might not notice things, and if you can make it obvious, I would definately recommend that. It definately will not hurt you to include it and it could certainly help you.

Goodluck!

Yes, include it! There is a category called "Honor, Awards, and Recognitions, etc" on the activities classifications. That is exactly what that is for. In the summary, you can write the specific requirements to graduate with summa from your school.

Does AMCAS have a limit on the number of ECs you can include this year? Thats odd. What do you mean, have room for another slot?

There's a 15 EC limit this year.

indeed, AMCAS has a limit of 15 "post-secondary experiences" this year. i could really really use the slot to include something else rather than something i consider obvious, but as one poster pointed out, i should probably leave nothing to chance.
thanks
streetdoc