Should I include this course in AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SgtDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed up to take Calculus through UC Berkeley extension (indep. study). I was active duty military at the time, so I took classes however I could. I was aabout half way finished with the course when I realized my first choice med school would only accept requirements taken in the traditional classroom setting. Under the advice of the instructor, I simply did not complete the course, and he did not submit a grade. According to the records people there, "Your instructor did not submit a final grade for you so you have no record with UC Berkeley Extension." Do I need to submit this course on my AMCAS? Technically I have no record, so I wouldn't be able to get any type of transcript. (Oh, and I am now taking the course at my university.)

Members don't see this ad.

You should call and ask amcas. If they say yes, then at least you have a legitimate reason for withdrawing.

You should call and ask amcas. If they say yes, then at least you have a legitimate reason for withdrawing.

Good idea. The professor also said he would be willing to write a letter saying I had an A at the time I "withdrew," not that I would know what to do with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called AMCAS. They said I would need to list the course, and then include a letter from the school stating why there is no academic record of the course. I think that they are just trying to make it as difficult as possible. But, if there is no academic record of the course, I really don't see why I would even have to include it in the first place. What would you guys do? It's almost like taking a course, and then dropping it before the drop deadline, and still having to include that course, even though it's as if you never took it.

Man I can't believe amcas isn't showing one of our soldiers some love. If it were me, I would include it (just out of fear of being caught?) and explain it in my personal statement.

Man I can't believe amcas isn't showing one of our soldiers some love. If it were me, I would include it (just out of fear of being caught?) and explain it in my personal statement.

I'm a Marine :)

I guess I will include it, I would hate for something that stupid to hold up my application. I'm sure it will be a fun challenge trying to get the Berkeley people to write the letter AMCAS wants...after all, I have nothing better to do with my time...

I dont think its anything that'll hold you back. Seems pretty similar to a Withdraw situation

Yeah, the application process and dealing with AMCAS can be pretty frustrating at times, especially with unique circumstances like that. Go ahead and give them what they want, shouldn't matter at all in the end. Most that'll happen is if a school is curious about it they'll ask during the interview and you can explain and then they'll move past.

I had similiar issues as I had dual enrollment credit at one local college during high school, other classes at another local community college, then classes from my undergrad institution before I withdrew, then classes a couple years later when I finished my degree, etc... I probably had a dozen calls to AMCAS/AACOMAS when filling out my app about what to do with specific courses that didn't fit into any of their typical examples.

Good luck!!

I'm not really worried about it negatively impacting anything, I can easily explain why it happened, I am just more curious as to whether or not include it at all. Of course I feel the same way about my military training that has to be included...I mean really, why do they care about the specifics of my hydraulics training, for example? But of course, I will be good and include everything.

Hey Devil,
Why don't you ask to have an official transcript sent to you from the UC, if you have the course on there then put in on AMCAS, here is the thing ALL transcripts from schools you have attended must be sent to AMCAS. IF you look at your official transcript and there is NOTHING on it then that is as if you never went to that school. I wouldn't place it on AMCAS. However if you get your official transcript and the course is ON it then do as everyone else mentioned, and disclose it and address it in the interview.

Semper FI
DOC