Quantcast

Should I include undergrad employment or hobbies in my AMCAS app if space is limited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futbol412

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I worked 1 full summer+ 1 month of another summer doing minimum wage kind of jobs/ as a tutor during undergrad (I spent the other 2 doing research which is already mentioned elsewhere in my app) and worked winter breaks as a package handler due to Christmas overload. I tutored/ babysat here and there during the actual school year, but not for a significant amount of time. I had the privilege of not having to work/ do a work study during the school year because my sports scholarship paid for everything and I didn't have to support my family or anything like that.

I'm a non-trad applicant so I included my post grad employment elsewhere and now I only have 1 slot left in the application. Should I use it for an activity called something like "undergraduate employment" or would it be better to use the last slot to list my hobbies? Or does it not matter? Any advice is appreciated!

futbol412

Reaction score
Thank you for your response! So it won't matter that I have a "blank" summer from one year of college? @gonnif

edit to add: not sure if it matters, but I also worked other jobs during 2 summers postgrad (I'm a teacher) so those will be "blank" times as well

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response! So it won't matter that I have a "blank" summer from one year of college? @gonnif

edit to add: not sure if it matters, but I also worked other jobs during 2 summers postgrad (I'm a teacher) so those will be "blank" times as well
Activiies arent used to see that all your time is accounted for. It is used to understand what you have done, what impact these activities have had on you, what attributes and characteristics all this says about you, and what these says about your fitness as a medical student and physician