SwankyLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Southern California
Status
Hello -

I got into Jefferson and was wondering whether or not I should bother interviewing at AECOM (Einstein Yeshiva whatever). I know this is a personal decision, but for those who interviewed at AECOM or know something more than the nothing I know....any comments would be appreciated.

Were you impressed with AECOM??
Hows the Bronx?

Clarissa

beebs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
Status
SwankyLove said:
Hello -

I got into Jefferson and was wondering whether or not I should bother interviewing at AECOM (Einstein Yeshiva whatever). I know this is a personal decision, but for those who interviewed at AECOM or know something more than the nothing I know....any comments would be appreciated.

Were you impressed with AECOM??
Hows the Bronx?

Clarissa
If you can afford it, give it a try. Personally, I wasn't impressed during the interview (their interview day kinda sucked and poorly planned, i thought--they dont seem too concerned about marketing themselves in general) but i still think its a very good school to go to. I dont know much about jefferson, but aecom has a lot of character.

First...its in the bronx...which of course is not exactly a glamorous place. But with the less-than-glamorous locale comes a ton of opportunity to work with a huge underserved population. There're a dozen or so different immigrant groups in the bronx (3/5 ppl i asked for directions didnt speak english), each with its own problems (and assets), as well as a large low-income population. The dean gave me the impression that aecom is where u go if u want to work with underserved people (as underserved as those in many developing nations, he asserts). He told me that the med students there were responsible for putting an end to an endemic among some ethnic minority population in the bronx and i'm sure there are other critical health issues that future med students will have an opportunity to tackle there. he says that aecom really makes a big difference in the health of the surrounding community in general. Along with such opportunities, you'll probably see everything during your clinical years. Additionally, students seem happy, housing is cheap and nearby (they provide low-cost apartments to med students), and aecom seems to be renowned for its biomed research. Additionally, they're renovating their lecture halls... i sat in a very nice one during the visit.

Generally speaking, the school seems to be no-nonsense, which matches with its location, i think. but i had the impression that it is also generous and receptive towards its med students (they provide a lot of opportunities for community work and research!). if u want to taste the glam of manhattan once in a while, its a 30 min express bus ride away. And it'd be a great place for you to learn medicine with its diverse patient population and, from what i hear, receptive faculty.

Some flaws that i saw? older facilities, sub-par cafeteria food (though students dont seem to go there to eat), potentially far-away clinical rotations (up to an hr's drive from main campus?), hard to access airports, hard to access grocery stores (they say u really need a car to do grocery shopping), and the cold winters (i'm from southern calif). Mostly small things...but these small things can make a big difference for some ppl. I know some ppl who loved it, and i've heard of others being miserable there. again, it's not for everyone...but u should see if its for you.

also...to my understanding, howard dean did go to aecom...i'd say he did okay =)

Anyway, enough ranting. Good luck w/ interviews, etc. I hope you'll have to make a decision btween jefferson and aecom--and hopefully other places--come may.

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
don't. but i'm only saying that because i wanna get into Einstein :) heehee. seriously. "einstein yeshiva whatever" is a great school and the students are passionate about it.

iwannabeadr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Status
Ok, so here is the deal...their interview day SUCKS...literally! HOWEVER, this was the one schools where I truly felt people loved it there. THe bronx was kinda depressing (I'm from so cal) but you can really really tell the students love it there. I was dissapointed by my interview day since I just had lunch with a few students and then had my interview ( I didnt get to see teh apartments or anything else). They don't give you a folder telling you about the school or anything. I still haven't heard from them, but if I get in there I think I would definitely consider it since the few students I saw there truly seemed to enjoy their time at AE. I would go and just do the interview but don't expect much in terms of touring the school, etc. My interviewer there was kind of hostile (he pretty much denigrated my academic research calling it "baseless" but whatever...) but I would still go and do it again if given the opportunity.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
This thread gets my seal of approval. Very nice.