should i just apply or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watergirl1202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
gpa: 3.3, mcat 27 (im taking it again in january)
probably the worst stat... i know :[
3 years in research, will get published soon.
1 year volunteering in hospital
3 years in club involvement (publicity)
1 year internship in student government body
travel study in argentina and chile
ran 2 marathons
1 year and still working in the Emergency Department directly with ED physicians

and various jobs during my college career (innout, tutoring, teaching swimming, worked in doctor office shortly)

should i wait until taking my mcat again in january, then apply next summer?
or should i just apply now to a few schools and see what happens?

i dont want to go to DO schools.

any input would be helpful, thanks soooooo much

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a year...

And what are you doing right now to raise that MCAT? How are you prepping, and what are you doing differently this time around?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Applying this late in the season with sub-par stats would be an exercise in futility.

Your research experience will stand out among other applicants. This will be even more true once you do have a publication to list. Waiting the extra year will also make your clinical experience even more solid. Working directly with ED docs will look a lot better on your application than cleaning beds and assisting in taking vital signs, which was most of what I accomplished volunteering in the ER. You have a lot of strengths, but you'll need them to focus attention away from your lower GPA. Retaking the MCAT is a very good idea, but few schools will consider the new score if you applied this season. It would be a much better plan to get all your ducks in a row, and take the MCAT next spring, or whenever you're really ready to get an improved score. I strongly recommend you wait until next season to apply.

yeah dont waste ur time and money. u need a better mcat if you want to be sure. if there is anyway to raise ur gpa since ur waiting anyways you should probably do that too. But it looks like you have solid work/activites.