Should i just call it quits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken so far the Kaplan Free test event ( 17- 6B. 6P,5V) Princeton Review( 18-5 V,6P,7B) then i took AAMC- 3R ( 19- 8B,6P,5V).

I havent done any Verbal review at all. I read through all of the Kaplan PS book ( Chem & Physics) and all but 3 of the Biological sciences chapters. I didnt do any Orgo since ive gotten most if not all those questions on tests.

Ive graduated and have a 3.7 overall gpa. working now full time

I dont get it. Am I just a ******. Is there something thats not clicking or should i just quit while I'm ahead. I was going to take the test this sat but postponed it to the 31st. I only can test on sat since Im working now. Please i need some real advice here on what i should do or what you would do in my situation.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be a doctor, don't call it quits! No one ever said it was going to be easy! Just do some verbal review. Get a good book. Read magazines. Just practice reading quickly, but efficiently. It is also important to understand why you're getting questions wrong in the verbal section. Try going back to review the answers and see why you picked what you did, and then try to see if you understand why the right answer is right. You have a solid GPA. While I know that the MCAT is a very important part of your application, also understand that it isn't all they look at. Just relax. Stop doubting yourself! Whatever is meant to happen will happen. Be confident in yourself. You can do it!! :)

Don't give up. You can improve. Review and analyze the tests then keep trying.

On top of that, my motto is: if you're going out, go out with a fight :) JMO .02

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have time get the Examkrackers 1001 Q's series. It's Awesome! Helped me raise my score 4 points. In my case, practice with a lot of sample questions was the best route.

Don't give up. If you absolutely have to, you could try to take off work for a while to concentrate more on studying.

You shouldn't quit if you truly want to become a doctor. You haven't really studied yet so it's too early to give up. Just reading through chapters isn't nearly enough prep. You have to understand the material and more importantly, do tons of practice problems.

The MCAT, while painful, is arguably the least unpleasant part of the whole applications process. As such, it is probably the easiest as well (particularly if you've graduated with a 3.7 from a decent school).

It is test like any other you've taken at any point in your college career, and that means it *should* require study and practice. Buy some practice tests/guides, enroll in a class, and take heart. The test is not easy, but it is not difficult to keep yourself from being thrown out with the chaff IF YOU KEEP AT IT. Dedication is a virtue.

honestly, tpr is just waaaay too hard (i think). I went to class today, and missed every single question in one of the practice passages.

Yeah, don't feel too bad. I think that's pretty normal. Its amazing how much easier actual MCAT material is.

Even so, I know a guy who took his first TPR and got an 18, then scored a 38 on the MCAT. It took him a year to prepare, but he did it eventually.

It sounds to me that you haven't reviewed enough yet. Simply reading the material and taking a few tests won't cut it - so my advice would be to postpone even the test on the 31st. There's not enough time to do what you need to before then. That's the bad news.

The good news is that all you need to do to get better is lots and lots of review and practice. I wouldn't spend too much time just reading material, though - rather, spend that time on practice tests and passages. For one thing, the passages teach you a lot of the stuff that you need to know, so that - along with carefully reviewing your answers (this is very important) - helps cover the content review anyway, and on top of that, you'll get more used to what the test is actually like.

It sounds to me that you haven't reviewed enough yet. Simply reading the material and taking a few tests won't cut it - so my advice would be to postpone even the test on the 31st. There's not enough time to do what you need to before then. That's the bad news.

The good news is that all you need to do to get better is lots and lots of review and practice. I wouldn't spend too much time just reading material, though - rather, spend that time on practice tests and passages. For one thing, the passages teach you a lot of the stuff that you need to know, so that - along with carefully reviewing your answers (this is very important) - helps cover the content review anyway, and on top of that, you'll get more used to what the test is actually like.

+1.

Dude, you got a 3.7. That takes a damn lot of work. Why would you give up now? I know a few people who started off with 6s all around and steadily improved to ~30.

If I were you I would probably cut back the hours at my work and start studying 8 hours a day for the next month. If you can't cut back hours I recommend studying 3 hours a day minimum after work or before work. I would get ahold of all the materials I could possibly need and start doing practice tests for verbal. I wouldn't start practice tests for the other sections until I thoroughly reviewed the material. If you look through my posts you can see a note set that I compiled when I was studying for the MCAT. It was 45 pages typed for bio, 25 typed for general chemistry, and 15 pages for organic chemistry(hand written). I prepared them AFTER I already read the examkrackers books 3 times each. Until you put an effort like that in I wouldn't give up.

If I wasn't scoring >25 I would probably delay my application until the next application cycle and spend my time studying, working, and traveling. Chances are you just don't know the material and don't understand the difference between being acquainted with the material and really getting it. You are almost there. Just one last hoop.

#1- Don't get down on yourself!

#2- Keep working. Your scores will improve over time, especially if you proceed with confidence. Think about taking an MCAT course. I tried studying on my own last year after being out of school for a while, and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. I took an MCAT course this time and my practice scores went up by ~3 points on average. I definitely knew more going into the exam this time around, though my nerves may have gotten the best of me.

#3- Do not take the MCAT until you are ready and your practice scores are within the range you need/want. Even if it means you have to delay your exam, IMHO. It's better to do it once and do it the best you can.

#4- From Winston Churchill- "Never give in. Never, never, never. In nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy (the MCAT!)." I know it's tough to be working FT and studying for the MCAT, but if you want it then you have to keep fighting.

Good luck! :)

#1- Don't get down on yourself!

#2- Keep working. Your scores will improve over time, especially if you proceed with confidence. Think about taking an MCAT course. I tried studying on my own last year after being out of school for a while, and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. I took an MCAT course this time and my practice scores went up by ~3 points on average. I definitely knew more going into the exam this time around, though my nerves may have gotten the best of me.

#3- Do not take the MCAT until you are ready and your practice scores are within the range you need/want. Even if it means you have to delay your exam, IMHO. It's better to do it once and do it the best you can.

#4- From Winston Churchill- "Never give in. Never, never, never. In nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy (the MCAT!)." I know it's tough to be working FT and studying for the MCAT, but if you want it then you have to keep fighting.

Good luck! :)

I know it's off topic, but the lakers lit you guys up last night. I was getting worried in the 4th when we were only up by 6. Boozer was on fire though!

I know it's off topic, but the lakers lit you guys up last night. I was getting worried in the 4th when we were only up by 6. Boozer was on fire though!

Please don't make me cry. :(

Going in I knew the Jazz couldn't hang with the Lakers... but hopefully they can win at home and keep it respectable.

You must be very happy with the Gasol trade. I think the rest of the league hates Memphis forever.

Please don't make me cry. :(

Going in I knew the Jazz couldn't hang with the Lakers... but hopefully they can win at home and keep it respectable.

You must be very happy with the Gasol trade. I think the rest of the league hates Memphis forever.

After the message in your last post, shouldn't you be saying the Jazz shouldn't give up? :) Just messin'!

I only say this because as a longtime Lakers fan, I still remember Greg Foster making that throat slashing gesture running by the Lakers bench near the end of game 4 of their sweep back '98. I still hate that classless dirtbag and can't believe the Lakers ever let him on their team after that gesture. This is a bit of payback, although I sure hope no Lakers player pulls anything like that. In fact, given what Larry Miller did so that Derek Fisher could be closer to his daughter is an amazing act of class and human compassion, I sure don't want to see Mr. Miller shown up in ay way.

As for the Gasol trade, that was a gift from Jerry West. After everything he did for Memphis (turning an eternal loser into a 50-game winner three straight years), I think the Memphis owner did him a favor in return by sending Gasol to the Lakers. Given that the Grizzlies are for sale, he was going to dump high salary players anyway, so I'm very happy that Mr. Logo himself got the owner's ear and talked him into shipping Gasol to Hollywood.

Hopefully they won't have to play the Jazz in Staples again this year, but I have a feeling Boozer, Williams, AK47, and company will be a different story in SLC. This can still end up being a competative series, because once the Lakers lose a game, they are prone to confidence lapses. I rooting for a sweep just so they don't risk a drastic shift in momentum.