Should I just not even bring my phone with me to my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that one thing that can often be hard for me is to stay off my phone. I know that doing so during the interview can leave a bad impression, and I am really scared that I may screw up and accidentally take my phone out. Is it better to just not bring my phone with me at all? If I were to drive, I could probably just leave it it my car.

Members don't see this ad.

Most definitely leave your phone in the car. There is no point in having it. I plan on doing that for my interview coming up.

I mean you can bring it with you and just not check it that often (during lunch or something is fine). If youre really worried just dont bring it if you dont need it for anything after (ie. maps or something).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I brought mine - didn’t check it often. Make sure you turn it off during the interview.

It’s great to have so you can exchange numbers if you want.

Editing to add that you should keep your phone on airplane mode so that it doesn’t ring during the interview day events.

Last edited:
Played with my phone during almost of my interview events lol. I just tucked it away during my actual interviews.

Most interview days have a schedule, and they stick to it pretty strictly, so you wont really have any down time to check your phone. Plus you will hopefully be having a great time talking with other interviewees and dental students to even think of checking your phone.

Yikes. Leave your phone in the car, and take a notepad with a pen to write with in some sort of professional folder. This may sound caustic, but you may be overly dependent on your phone if it's that impulsive. Studies have shown that cell phones (and other types of technology) can be addictive - best to be careful, and maybe limit your time on it.

Leave it in car. Bring a pen and a few slips of paper in case you need to make a quick note (e.g. names of interviewers, so you can mail a short thank-you card later). You're trying to get two uber-important things done in a very short period of time during your interview:

1. get an offer from the school come December
2. figure out whether you would choose that school vs another if you had multiple offers

Phone won't help you do either one.

If you can't stay off it, definitely leave it in the car. It's always makes me cringe when dental students are trying to talk to the interviewees and there's that person in their own little world playing on their phone.

Lol is this real

Reactions: 2 users
If you can't stay off it, definitely leave it in the car. It's always makes me cringe when dental students are trying to talk to the interviewees and there's that person in their own little world playing on their phone.
Lol in one of my interviews there was a girl taking a selfie while one of the organizers was giving instructions to her specifically. I guess she didn't notice but still that was awkward and funny.