Should I keep my organic book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsparrow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether I should sell back my orgo book today, or hold on to it. I'm thinking it might be valuable in biochem for mechanisms, and in studying for the mcat, but then again, it may be useless. Anyone whose gone through either of those have an opinion on whether it's worth keeping or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm debating on whether I should sell back my orgo book today, or hold on to it. I'm thinking it might be valuable in biochem for mechanisms, and in studying for the mcat, but then again, it may be useless. Anyone whose gone through either of those have an opinion on whether it's worth keeping or not?

I held on to mine. I found it very useful for MCAT prep. Anytime I had a problem area I would use Orgo book to refresh my memory by reading that section and doing a few problems. That book is going to have better detail than any commercial study material.

I would also hold on to books from the other PS/BS topics until after the MCAT. They were great resources for me.

**** no. Keep your notes. That will be more than enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
hold on to it, it's a good reference for the MCAT review and for your personal library.:)

I referred to it maybe once or twice when i was studying for MCAT but none at all as I was taking biochem. I don't think you need it that badly for MCAT, especially if you take a Kaplan class or even buy MCAT book.

hell no, you'll get some good money for that thing!

Not worth it. My BS degree before med school was biochem; you won't use an organic text, you'll use a biochem textbook and maybe, MAYBE, look at notes from organic once or twice. For the MCAT, you don't need to know in depth mechanisms, not to the extent that you need to go to a textbook anyway. If you took good notes throughout organic, that would be more than enough for the test.

get some money for your book while you can. And as for that personal library, I'm about to graduate med school and I as I type this, I'm staring at a general chemistry book, a genetics book and a biochem book that probably would have fetched me $200 if I would have had the sense to sell them a couple years ago but I too wanted that proverbial "library". Take the money, the library's not worth it.

My $0.02

I referred to it maybe once or twice when i was studying for MCAT but none at all as I was taking biochem. I don't think you need it that badly for MCAT, especially if you take a Kaplan class or even buy MCAT book.

Same thing for me here. If you are planning on taking the MCAT soon get rid of it, you will not need it that much. After all of those sleepless nights figuring out all of those reaction mechanisms, you don't really need the text as a reference.:thumbup:

Thanks for the input, just sold it and the solutions manual for a cool 100. :)

1) never needed ochem for biochem.
2) ochem review book > ochem text book
3) only ochem book worth keeping around is maybe klein's books