Medical Should I keep PRN ER Tech position in medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

as matriculation nears, I have to make some important decisions. Currently I'm still employed as an ER Tech/Secretary in a small (15 rooms) ER in a college town in the mid west. It's an outstanding good gig for pre-med.

I have to decide whether I want to quit it completely or go PRN, work a shift here and there, mostly during holidays or winter/summer breaks. I have developed a lot of mentorship relations with our doctors and they have taught me a lot of things, making most of patients encounters a learning opportunity. It was always implied that this relationship would continue while in medical school.

Would it be beneficial to go PRN and work there as a med student? I am talking here about experience in terms of future residency. EM is strongly on my radar as I really have felt comfortable in that environment for the past two years. Would PRN experience be of value in terms of future EM residency applications?

I understand that medical school has a heavy time demand and I am really talking here about working 3-4 shifts during school break (probably more in the summer).

Any input on your expert side is always of value.
Doubt it will help much with residency.

It’s good to keep in the loop though and I think a few shifts here and there would be ok. Honestly, I don’t know anyone in my med school class that had a job. Personally I can’t see how that would even be doable if you wanna kick a** in med school.

I think doing well in your courses, your boards, getting good LOR and SLOEs for EM is what will help you match EM.

Members don't see this ad.

The ONLY thing it will help with is extra cash in the pocket. And is the pay you get worth it if it takes away your already limited time off, or takes away from studying? My opinion is it's not, but that's for you to decide.

It will take away time off, time from studying. It will not help you with residency at all beyond the same experience you may already refer to from your work as a premed.

Status
Not open for further replies.