Should i keep pushing foward?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relentless11, Mar 30, 2001.

1. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone, i'm sure you get a lot of these, but here goes.

I'm a junior at UC Davis, i am a transfer student. My problem is, my freshman and sophemore years in college were just a nightmare. I had to work a lot, and didn't know what i wanted to do with life. So my grades suffered. I somehow managed to get into UC Davis with a 2.8, and got in as a biochemistry major. Only recently after meeting a doctor at UCD Med Center, that i realized that i wanted to be a doctor. My first quarter at UC Davis was a 3.73, so a good start. I'm not sure what my GPA is for the winter quarter since they have not posted them yet. I know i have an uphill battle. But here's what i have now to throw at med school.

I did and will do more clinical internships. Great program here. I am shadowing doctor at UCDMC, as well as doing research at the medical school. I'm not sure if this helps but i also was the head coach for a highschool water polo, and swim team. So far i will be able to get a letter of recommendation from both the doctors.

I was planning to apply next year in june, but my cum GPA doesn't really have any margin for error. I fear if i got mauled this last quarter(don't think i did), it'll hurt my GPA very seriously. I have also looked into possibly getting a masters after graduating and hten applying again.

I will be taking the MCAT this april since i have already finished the subject classes for it. So pretty much my question is, anyone have any advice for a demoralized undergrad(no doubt a common thing).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.

Wow, you sound just like me. I just transfered from City College of San Francisco last fall to Berkeley with a 3.0. (I know, weird.) Anyway, I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

First (and I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with this), while 2.8 isn't going to get you into med school, it isn't that bad of a gpa. It's a b-, a tad above average. Given your work schedule, and the fact that you didn't know what you wanted to do, it could have easily been much worse. You are doing well at a four year, all the more to your credit. Look at your situation from a wider perspective when you start to feel like a tool. Otherwise, you'll miss out on the point of an education.

As to getting yourself into med school, I'll tell you my game plan. I'm trying to pull up my GPA, I'm taking the august MCAT (and I plan to spank it), then applying right before graduation. From there, I have at least two choices for my year off.

1. Get my MPH (which I intend to do anyway.)
    2. Do a formal post-bacc (really expensive, though.)

I will probably have to re-apply. So be it. But I'm pretty sure I'll be in med school come 2003, and that's what I choose to think about.

Your extra curriculars (volunteering, shadowing, and research) are excellent. And while it seems unrelated, I think many med schools will be interested in your coaching. Also, your science gpa, as opposed to your overall gpa, is concidered as a separate entity. I know that if davis accepted you into biochem, you didn't suck at science (at least a b in the core courses.) So you have that going in your favor as well.

One last piece of advice... make sure you study and practice for the MCAT before taking it. Having the core courses isn't enough. It's a really long test, and it's a somewhat tricky test.

Best of luck,

Nanon

4. relentless11

Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Wow, i feel much better, thought i was the only crazy one with the low GPA applying. So whats this about the MPH? I've only heard about getting one during med school. Is it a cheaper graduate program? I was looking into worse case.......applying to a school close to home to get some graduate degree, or teaching credentials. I do like to teach.

I can't thank you enough for those kind as well as informative words.

As for MCAT, i just finished the Kaplan review class, and i'm just doing problems over and over and over again. As well as the Kaplan MCAT exams...and AAMC ones. From my last Kaplan exam i got a 10(4 away from an 11) on BS, 8 on VR, and 6 on PS. These were without studying for it. Since finals i've been cracking down on the practice exams, my next practice exam will be next saturday. I'm praying for a 12 on BS, and 10's on the other two atleast. I know i can do higher on VR though.

So i guess my plan for now will be....consider applying next year for the fall 2003. My GPA will be in the cum GPA will be in the 3's by then. Still not competative in my opinion. MCAT should be done a long time ago. I think i'll apply though. I really don't want to be rejected from everywhere, since its expensive to apply again, and boy is that demoralizing.

If that is the case though, i'll proceed on with an MPH. And apply again. Whats not so good is that MCAT only lasts for 3 years! More problems..if i wait too long.

Anyway, maybe at some point, i'll see that light at the end of the tunnel, but for now, i'm bumping into walls and tripping over myself=P. ONce again thanks for the encouragement and advice!=)

[This message has been edited by relentless11 (edited March 31, 2001).]

5. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.

The MPH can be had without the benefit of an MD, but I'm not sure if this is the path I should take.

I have another suggestion for you. Talk to your pre-med advisor (even if the person sucks, they generally have pertinent info on schools that will be more, shall we say, receptive to your situation.) Then talk to the director of admissions at UCD med school. I promise, you'll feel better after you do.

Say, what CC do you hail from?

Nanon

[This message has been edited by Nanon (edited March 31, 2001).]

6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Nanon gave you such sound advice, I don't have much to add. However, you really, really need to try for double-digits on each section of the MCAT -- probably aim for at least a 33+. I know the practice scores you posted were without much studying beforehand, but if your last practice tests before the April MCAT aren't in the target range they need to be in, I would really advise waiting to take the August MCAT, especially since you are waiting to apply until next year anyways. I just think it makes much more sense to put your best foot forward the first time around. Just something to think about.

7. relentless11

Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Sounds good! I'm gonna probably schedule an appointment with that advisory thing sometime soon.

I will keep that under advisement for moving the MCAT up. I already have the admission's ticket and have been taking that Kaplan class this long, would be a shame to throw it off now. But i do agree that it would be worth it to get a higher MCAT Score if it means aborting it for now.

By the way, does anyone here know how Kaplan simulates the real MCAT? I've heard so many stories. The good one was that the MCAT was actually a bit easier than the Kaplan exams. Another one say's that the BS and PS sections were accurately simulated, and the VR varied. I do not recall hearing that it was harder than a Kaplan one however which is a good sign.

Thanks for the replies!