Should I keep track of all the surgeries I watch while shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xpinchx

Michigan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I got to see a laproscopic gastric bypass, tympanostomy, and an ortho implant (full knee replacement.) This was my first time shadowing and I really didn't expect this much exposure. Would it really be worthwhile to write down every surgery I get to see? Do you guys keep track of all the hours you shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

Today I got to see a laproscopic gastric bypass, tympanostomy, and an ortho implant (full knee replacement.) This was my first time shadowing and I really didn't expect this much exposure. Would it really be worthwhile to write down every surgery I get to see? Do you guys keep track of all the hours you shadow?

I only keep track of it roughly, to get a "big picture" of all that I've seen and was allowed to participate in. Sometimes it's good to write down details (no identifiable info, of course) for the interesting cases for interview or essay stories.

write it all down. if you are considering do so, why not? i am sure you will come out with an impressive list and some day you will be able to say, "i have seen X amount of different surgeries in X amount of disciplines." the list will also help jog your memory if this shadowing experience ever becomes important in an interview or elsewhere (which it will if you aren't there yet).