Medical Should I keep trying for medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on sdn -- I'm here to seek out some advice. I know there are many versions of these "what are my chances" posts for medical school, but I feel like I'm in quite a pickle and I would love if any of you might be able to shed some input or perspective on my application --

I'm 22 yrs old, with a major in Biology & minor in psychology (pretty standard). I have a plethora of outside volunteering and involvement, hours of shadowing, research, presentations, and work experience. Extracurriculars are not a problem for me. However, I was initially in a guaranteed dual admission program out of high school and missed my program's required MCAT score by 2 points. I needed a 502, but I got a 500. I rushed to take my MCAT again with less than a month to study in order to get the score I needed but I don't think that was smart -- my score went down and I got a 497.

My undergraduate cGPA is a 3.38 and sGPA is slightly lower. During this first application cycle, I applied on the late (in August/September) and received 2 interviews to newer DO schools, but no acceptances. I was distraught, and I was advised to look into SMP programs.

I ended up committing to a one-year master's program at LECOM, Bradenton which offered a guaranteed interview if you meet certain requirements, their acceptance rate from the program seemed high --> It turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me because my studying needed adjusting. It took me some time to get on my feet, my mid-program GPA was a 3.0, but I was invited to interview and performed MUCH stronger my second semester - I ended my SMP with a 3.26. I am currently on a waitlist for LECOM, but I'm beginning to lose a little hope. From my understanding, those with a 3.3 or higher were accepted and I feel like I keep missing the bar ever so slightly.

Not sure where this SMP GPA puts me in addition to my MCAT for this next cycle though :/
I know I left this graduate program feeling much more confident in my studying abilities and knowledge -- I feel like if I were to spend my summer studying to take the MCAT again, and applied to med schools by the end of May, I would have a much better chance at some DO schools? But if my application sounds like a lost cause (I'm not sure how much the SMP hurt my chances) please let me know! I'd appreciate any advice or direction for what I should do with this potential gap year of mine -- I think my chances of getting off of my current waitlist seem slim :(
This is tough... you've already missed the mark on a guaranteed acceptance and a guaranteed interview. Sure, taking the MCAT could help, but you also could pin yourself down with a third attempt. The SMP is high-risk high-reward, and I think it's up to your program director to help advocate for you, but your SMP GPA isn't going to do you any favors if you apply outside now without any serious networking, and that's not a guarantee either.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your honest response! I debated doing another SMP but I'm not sure if that's the best route either -- what would you recommend for an applicant like me? My program director knows me well and told me he will do his best to advocate for me, but as of right now I think with my position on the waitlist, my acceptance relies on students dropping and giving up their seats :/ do you think a higher MCAT will work to improve my chances?
Certainly if you score above 510 (+10 from best attempt), you would be in a little stronger position but the GPA is going to be an issue. However, with a third attempt, your scores can be averaged for screening purposes by some schools (deliberation for offer for others). I will say that you need an honest discussion with your program director on what to do if you can't get off the waitlist and have to apply again. We don't have any demographic information from you to make any specific suggestions than this.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on sdn -- I'm here to seek out some advice. I know there are many versions of these "what are my chances" posts for medical school, but I feel like I'm in quite a pickle and I would love if any of you might be able to shed some input or perspective on my application --

I'm 22 yrs old, with a major in Biology & minor in psychology (pretty standard). I have a plethora of outside volunteering and involvement, hours of shadowing, research, presentations, and work experience. Extracurriculars are not a problem for me. However, I was initially in a guaranteed dual admission program out of high school and missed my program's required MCAT score by 2 points. I needed a 502, but I got a 500. I rushed to take my MCAT again with less than a month to study in order to get the score I needed but I don't think that was smart -- my score went down and I got a 497.

My undergraduate cGPA is a 3.38 and sGPA is slightly lower. During this first application cycle, I applied on the late (in August/September) and received 2 interviews to newer DO schools, but no acceptances. I was distraught, and I was advised to look into SMP programs.

I ended up committing to a one-year master's program at LECOM, Bradenton which offered a guaranteed interview if you meet certain requirements, their acceptance rate from the program seemed high --> It turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me because my studying needed adjusting. It took me some time to get on my feet, my mid-program GPA was a 3.0, but I was invited to interview and performed MUCH stronger my second semester - I ended my SMP with a 3.26. I am currently on a waitlist for LECOM, but I'm beginning to lose a little hope. From my understanding, those with a 3.3 or higher were accepted and I feel like I keep missing the bar ever so slightly.

Not sure where this SMP GPA puts me in addition to my MCAT for this next cycle though :/
I know I left this graduate program feeling much more confident in my studying abilities and knowledge -- I feel like if I were to spend my summer studying to take the MCAT again, and applied to med schools by the end of May, I would have a much better chance at some DO schools? But if my application sounds like a lost cause (I'm not sure how much the SMP hurt my chances) please let me know! I'd appreciate any advice or direction for what I should do with this potential gap year of mine -- I think my chances of getting off of my current waitlist seem slim :(
A 3.26 in an SMP is in the range where my own program shows that you would have a lot of trouble in medical school.

That, combined with your weak MCAT scores have me advise you to find a different career. Look, you gave it your best shot, and that's all your can do,a and that all anyone can ask of you.

I appreciate your honest reply -- I understand you have a lot of admission/medical school experience.
If I were to retake my MCAT this summer and do much better (507-510) do you still think I would not have a chance? Would you recommend PA or AA as an alternate career route? Any other thoughts or insight you could share would be much appreciated!
A high MCAT is not a substitute for a weak GPA, especially one from a SMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.