Should I leave my research lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SGT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for this long post. I would appreciate it if you didn't quote it in your replies.

I am an MS1 at a school that requires everyone to complete a research project over the first 2 years of school, with the bulk of the work done over the MS1-MS2 summer. I have formally committed to a lab, but recently I began to second guess my decision. I am allowed to switch labs at this point, although it would be a minor headache.

The lab is (very) basic science (although with clear medical applications), the PI is a PhD. It is entirely full of PhDs and undergrads, but a med student worked here last year and was successful. My previous research experience is basic science as well, but in an entirely different field. I would be starting from scratch here, which the PI said was OK before I joined. The thing is, I have realized, a little too late obviously, that I have no interest in learning all these techniques needed in the lab. I find it unlikely I would ever use them again, and it just doesn't seem fun to work here. Due to scheduling issues (lecture/anatomy lab), I am unable to make lab meetings. As a result, the lab environment seems very foreign to me. And I can't help but wish I had just picked a clinical project, with an attending or resident in a field I am interested in...

Either way, I made the decision to stick with it. Unfortunately, the PI recently heavily criticized me for a lack of progress so far. I was surprised by the criticism, as I felt it was unwarranted (I didn't even think I was supposed to have accomplished much by now, I'm in the middle of anatomy still). I smoothed it over, and made an effort to begin work in earnest. The PI calmed down a bit after I spoke with them, and is still willing to work with me. The thing is, given my previous reservations, and the fact that the work environment so quickly turned hostile, I really feel like ditching the project and finding a clinical one. It would of course be a little annoying, since I've already laid the groundwork here. I would appreciate any input, since I really don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the above poster. The PI doesn't seem to be very understanding to your hectic schedule, and it sounds like you really would be unhappy there. I would get out while I could.

Sorry in advance for this long post. I would appreciate it if you didn't quote it in your replies.

I am an MS1 at a school that requires everyone to complete a research project over the first 2 years of school, with the bulk of the work done over the MS1-MS2 summer. I have formally committed to a lab, but recently I began to second guess my decision. I am allowed to switch labs at this point, although it would be a minor headache.

The lab is (very) basic science (although with clear medical applications), the PI is a PhD. It is entirely full of PhDs and undergrads, but a med student worked here last year and was successful. My previous research experience is basic science as well, but in an entirely different field. I would be starting from scratch here, which the PI said was OK before I joined. The thing is, I have realized, a little too late obviously, that I have no interest in learning all these techniques needed in the lab. I find it unlikely I would ever use them again, and it just doesn't seem fun to work here. Due to scheduling issues (lecture/anatomy lab), I am unable to make lab meetings. As a result, the lab environment seems very foreign to me. And I can't help but wish I had just picked a clinical project, with an attending or resident in a field I am interested in...

Either way, I made the decision to stick with it. Unfortunately, the PI recently heavily criticized me for a lack of progress so far. I was surprised by the criticism, as I felt it was unwarranted (I didn't even think I was supposed to have accomplished much by now, I'm in the middle of anatomy still). I smoothed it over, and made an effort to begin work in earnest. The PI calmed down a bit after I spoke with them, and is still willing to work with me. The thing is, given my previous reservations, and the fact that the work environment so quickly turned hostile, I really feel like ditching the project and finding a clinical one. It would of course be a little annoying, since I've already laid the groundwork here. I would appreciate any input, since I really don't know what to do.

If its forced research, might as well make it count. Unless its a string of papers from a basic science lab (unlikely given your situation), your PI LOR and pubs won't be of much value.

If you get in with somebody doing research who's a clinician, it will be much more valuable to you come residency time. That person can then write a good LOR for you which will help especially if that person is well known in a field you are applying to. Furthermore ease of publishing in clinical research >>>>>>> basic science research, unfortunately know this from experience.