should I leave one practice aamc assuming I need to retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naixin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never scored higher than a 7 (constantly 7) in aamc tests. (ESL, first generation immigrant, asian, came to the US after 20). But I will take the 4/28 tests because I have worked on verbal for 1-2 years and nothing seem to help up till now. Also I kept delaying taking the MCAT because of verbal for a long time. My PS/BS is good. Prepared to working on verbal again and retake. Should I leave one test for assess my verbal skills for retaking? (I only have aamc 10 left, I used 11 because I heard it is the most representative).

One weird thing I heard from one person is that she said the verbal she got on the real mcat is very much like the practice test in content and she said she should have remembered the passage content on all the aamc? Is that possible? I highly doubt it.
If that's case, maybe I should do all the aamc verbal and remember all the passages.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't

You'll find that you can actually re-do a lot of the science ones with no problem, however verbal is easy to recall at times. Verbal is a total crap shoot, however I do think you can increase it. I went from 6-7s to 10-12s, (10 on real thing) in a matter of months.

Wouldn't save for retake? But you said verbal is easy to recall, so if I finish it now, there is no value for assessing my vr anymore when I prepare for a retake.
people say VR is totally crap shoot, but I my score is so constant maybe that's because 7 is really mininal scores one can get. (Probably people can 6 or 7 just by guessing on the questions and doing POE without reading the passage). I do not understand more than half of the passage on AAMC 11 and guessed on most of the questions.

BTW, would you mind telling us how you increased your verbal score? Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't

You'll find that you can actually re-do a lot of the science ones with no problem, however verbal is easy to recall at times. Verbal is a total crap shoot, however I do think you can increase it. I went from 6-7s to 10-12s, (10 on real thing) in a matter of months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying that VR is totally crap shoot, so a single test can not assess your VR skill?
I wouldn't

Verbal is tough for those whose first language is not English, but I think it's doable. You just have to read a lot. Read whatever you can get your hands on: newspapers, magazines (Time, Economist), nonfiction books, novels (English literature), science articles. But don't just read for the sake of it. Make sure you understand what you are reading, especially the author's tone and argument.