Should I let Dental Students fix my Teeth?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by EMDO2018, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. EMDO2018

EMDO2018 Banned Banned

Medical Student
    What do they know? I'm assuming it will be 3rd and 4th year dental students. Are the comfortable doing crowns implants, etc. What are the odds they will cut my tounge or completely f me up?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. b-rad12

b-rad12

Pre-Dental
    The whole process will be under the supervision of an attending dentist. You could get a 3rd or 4th year doing the work or even a resident depending on the school.

Expect for the procedure to take a long time because they have to constantly have the dentist on the floor come and check the work at various checkpoints.

I'm a 1st year so someone else might have better information for you but that's pretty much what I know.

DentalLonghorn2014 likes this.
  4. sgv

sgv ...crumbling 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    50 50

5. Screwtape

Screwtape 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you have dental insurance or money is not an issue-- check out if the school has a "faculty practice". It's basically a private practice within the dental school where the professors (licensed dentists) are the clinicians. Or go to a private dentist in the area. If you're a med student I am assuming time is precious to you. The student dental clinics are safe and you will most likely be treated well, but it is a huge time sink. But with the large time commitment, there is a large reduction in the financial cost.

Summary: limited funds, no insurance, plenty of free time ---> dental school students
    dental insurance, money not an issue, time is priority ---> private practice / faculty practice

Golfguy likes this.
  6. Sublimazing

Sublimazing 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Verified
    Dentist
    your "tounge"? i hope they cut it off...human beings should not have tounges...ever...may god have mercy on your soul

7. bsp1013

bsp1013 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you don't mind a few 3 hour visits for what could be done in 45 minutes in private practice, should be fine.

Personally, I would never do it.
    Would have let select people in my class do work if I had needed it, but i would have had the luxury of knowing who was competent :)

AlyssaRof2012 likes this.
  8. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i had some students/classmates do work on me (4th yr) …. pretty minor stuff, but at least anything the student messes up will get get fixed for free. and dont let these guys fool you, licensed dentists cut tongues and cheek too. it happens.

side note, id wait until you get through your pre clinic or even your clinical classes bf you let them start poking and drilling. that, or ask a few upper classmen who they would trust to do work on you.

9. tooth hurty

tooth hurty 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Generally you won't get sold on unnecessary treatment at a dental school, and the work will be closely supervised. But I don't know if it's worth the long waits and bureaucracy and the uncertainty when multiple faculty disagree on the best treatment for you. I'd only do it if I didn't have insurance or if I was getting just a specific procedure (i.e. an implant, or wisdom teeth extracted).

About the ads