Should I list myself as the Principal Investigator of my study on medical school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R....

Reaction score
I am currently a rising junior in college, and have designed a study, as well as submit it to the IRB. I am listed as the principal investigator on the submissions to the IRB. I am also the one handling feedback from the IRB, and making revisions to the project. I have a faculty advisor, listed in the IRB as a faculty advisor, giving some input into the project, but ultimately not performing any parts of the research or design. Is it safe to list myself as the PI for this project on my applications? The project is also unfunded, and I am not using any grants or the name of my advisor for any gain or progression of the study.

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid using the title “Principle Investigator” to avoid confusion/appearing like a self-aggrandizing person because that conventionally describes established scientists with grant money/lab. Your leadership in the project is still great and you can probably find another term to refer to your role like “project leader”

Reactions: 4 users
I would avoid using the title “Principle Investigator” to avoid confusion because that conventionally describes established scientists with grant money/lab. Your leadership in the project is still great and you can probably find another term to refer to your role like “project leader”
Would I be able to explain this title in the description of the EC? I also have all of the documentation to support this, that I will be able to forward for further clarification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Put your advisors name as the contact

Reactions: 1 user
Would I be able to explain this title in the description of the EC? I also have all of the documentation to support this, that I will be able to forward for further clarification?
I am applying right now, and honestly the title does not matter. What matters is what you did. If you just write what you described here, it would achieve the same impact whether you refer to yourself as a “PI” or not. However, by claiming you are a PI you’d run the risk of been seen as overly embellishing yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying right now, and honestly the title does not matter. What matters is what you did. If you just write what you described here, it would achieve the same impact whether you refer to yourself as a “PI” or not. However, by claiming you are a PI you’d run the risk of been seen as overly embellishing yourself.
Got it, thank you! I also have a very significant research background, with extensive research experience.

Are you working on this project alone or overseeing other people? Regardless of how it's used in IRB paperwork, in a practical sense PI is understood to mean the "principle investigator" when there's a group of investigators doing the work with one (or more) in charge (of the lab, grant, whatever). If it's just you, you're the only investigator, so it would be weird to call yourself a PI.

Reactions: 2 users
A PI has a PhD and is established in their field, so no, I would not list yourself as a PI.

A PI has a PhD and is established in their field, so no, I would not list yourself as a PI.

Doesn't specifically need to be a PhD (MDs, even seen some JDs, etc - terminal degrees in whatever field), but yes it does imply a more established position

Reactions: 2 users
I designed a project, wrote the protocol, recruited people to work on it with me, etc. I still wouldn’t list myself as the PI. I’m only a med student. It’s a title that means more than just the plain English words.

Got it, I was unsure because I am listed as the PI to the IRB reviewing my study.

Are you working on this project alone or overseeing other people? Regardless of how it's used in IRB paperwork, in a practical sense PI is understood to mean the "principle investigator" when there's a group of investigators doing the work with one (or more) in charge (of the lab, grant, whatever). If it's just you, you're the only investigator, so it would be weird to call yourself a PI.

I am planning on recruiting people to work on my project and will be giving oversight and leading the team. But, as others have said, I think it’d be safer to list myself as the lead researcher.

Got it, I was unsure because I am listed as the PI to the IRB reviewing my study.

Yeah I get it. But what it might say on the IRB might be different than what you’d put on a CV. I have a few sole author pubs and wouldn’t list myself as a PI.

I would avoid using the title “Principle Investigator” to avoid confusion/appearing like a self-aggrandizing person because that conventionally describes established scientists with grant money/lab. Your leadership in the project is still great and you can probably find another term to refer to your role like “project leader”

Principal Investigator. Remember your "pal". While you might be investigating a fundamental truth (principle) the investigator is the leader of the project and therefore the Principal Investigator.

1594399990382.png

• Haha
Principal Investigator. Remember your "pal". While you might be investigating a fundamental truth (principle) the investigator is the leader of the project and therefore the Principal Investigator.

View attachment 312413

I would blame autocorrect but maybe I actually meant an investigator who studies principles... or one who is very principled

• Haha