Should I list these activities on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ankaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My extra late application needs your help in refinement!

I was wondering whether anyone listed foreign exchanges as part of the AMCAS Work/Activities List? I have been consistently going out-of-country for courses, and feel that perhaps they would shed light into culture awareness/independency. At the same time, the course credits are already shown on my transcripts, so they could be redundant information...

Also, should I list a conference presentation as an independent entity, or should I just describe it under the research project that gave birth to it??

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering whether anyone listed foreign exchanges as part of the AMCAS Work/Activities List? I have been consistently going out-of-country for courses, and feel that perhaps they would shed light into culture awareness/independency. At the same time, the course credits are already shown on my transcripts, so they could be redundant information...

Also, should I list a conference presentation as an independent entity, or should I just describe it under the research project that gave birth to it??

It depends on the significance of your travels. On my application last year, I listed my month long study abroad in Amsterdam. However, it was really significant for me because I saw a code get called when I was at one of the hospitals. If it is just a presentation, I would just list it in the same group as other presentations but make a special mention of it. Courses abroad are great, but unless you had significant cultural immersion they do not hold a lot of weight on their own.

I hope that helps a little in my end of night ramblings.

1) I was wondering whether anyone listed foreign exchanges as part of the AMCAS Work/Activities List? I have been consistently going out-of-country for courses, and feel that perhaps they would shed light into culture awareness/independency. At the same time, the course credits are already shown on my transcripts, so they could be redundant information...

2) Also, should I list a conference presentation as an independent entity, or should I just describe it under the research project that gave birth to it??
1) It's fine to list and discuss the experience of international travel, even though it already appears on your transcript, if you feels it will add to your appeal as a candidate.

2) If a Poster/Presentation took place at a regional or national event, I suggest you list it in a separate space. If you presented at a campus research symposia or similar, mention of it would best be left in the same space as the related research.

I'm pretty sure the conference presentation should be put under the research project. You could definitely put foreign exchanges on your application i'm not sure though the effect foreign exchanges have on the work/activities list. It shows cultural experience which can be a thumbs up.