Should I listen to a doctor or be stubborn....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredds2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I talked to a doctor yesterday and she suggested that I not take a heavy science load my senior year so that I can get a high GPA. My problem is that my GPA is low as a result of taking heavy science loads but I also feel like I did not study as well as I should.

My science GPA is 2.57 and cGPA is 2.65. This year I planned on taking

Physics- which I need for dental school
Cell biology- required for my biochemistry major
Molecular medicine
I plan on taking these three classes first term since my school is on trimester and we have 3 classes every ten weeks.

Second term

Anatomy
Physics 120
Math

Third Term

Immunology
Senior Research
Physics

See, I really need these science courses to boost my sGPA. I could take some "easy" class like art in place of these electives but I want to make sure dental schools see that I can handle heavy science course loads. So, should I take "easier" classes in place on advanced science electives or change my study habits and work my ass off to get A's and B;s in these courses?

Thanks

Clarissa

Members don't see this ad.

So, I talked to a doctor yesterday and she suggested that I not take a heavy science load my senior year so that I can get a high GPA. My problem is that my GPA is low as a result of taking heavy science loads but I also feel like I did not study as well as I should.

My science GPA is 2.57 and cGPA is 2.65. This year I planned on taking

Physics- which I need for dental school
Cell biology- required for my biochemistry major
Molecular medicine
I plan on taking these three classes first term since my school is on trimester and we have 3 classes every ten weeks.

Second term

Anatomy
Physics 120
Math

Third Term

Immunology
Senior Research
Physics

See, I really need these science courses to boost my sGPA. I could take some "easy" class like art in place of these electives but I want to make sure dental schools see that I can handle heavy science course loads. So, should I take "easier" classes in place on advanced science electives or change my study habits and work my ass off to get A's and B;s in these courses?

Thanks

Clarissa
Well the questions is... CAN you pull off all A's in those classes? If you're absolutely confident that you can get all A's in those classes, then I'd say definately go for it. That will be the perfect way to prove yourself. Looking at your GPA, you wouldn't want to settle for anything less than an A- in those classes.

But if you think you'll end up with B+'s or below, I'd say try to boost your GPA with easier classes. Your first priority is to boost your GPA, and second is to consider "Can I do that with upper level science classes?"

Well the questions is... CAN you pull off all A's in those classes? If you're absolutely confident that you can get all A's in those classes, then I'd say definately go for it. That will be the perfect way to prove yourself. Looking at your GPA, you wouldn't want to settle for anything less than an A- in those classes.
If that's the case, I'd say try to boost your GPA with easier classes. Your first priority is to boost your GPA, and second is to consider "Can I do that taking upper level science classes?"

Physics is my biggest concern about pulling an A-. I am definitely going to aim for that but I have heard horror stories from straight A students about physics at my school. The other science courses are a definite A because I have had the professors before so I know how they test.

So if i could pull a B+ or B in physics I will be happy. I am also doing a post bac at SIU medical school (MEDPREP is also for dental students) after I graduate. So I will also have a chance to boost my GPA there. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics is my biggest concern about pulling an A-. I am definitely going to aim for that but I have heard horror stories from straight A students about physics at my school. The other science courses are a definite A because I have had the professors before so I know how they test.

So if i could pull a B+ or B in physics I will be happy. I am also doing a post bac at SIU medical school (MEDPREP is also for dental students) after I graduate. So I will also have a chance to boost my GPA there. :thumbup:
Awesome... If you're able to boost your GPA above 3.0 and pull off 3.5 or above in your post bacc program, you should be in great shape!