Mar 20, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I am currently a senior in undergrad and I will graduate this May. I will hopefully [ :xf:] be attending the Pharmacy School of the same university that I currently attend. I have lived at home all four years of undergrad, and it's only a 20 minute drive to campus, 30 mins. with morning traffic. I just live with my mom..no other relatives. I would like to finally break free and be on my own, but I do have a concern that I won't be able to afford it and that I will just be acquiring unnecessary debt. Right now, I do pay for my own food, gas, car repairs, but I don't contribute to the real bills like rent, utilities, etc. I already have loans from undergrad and I will be getting even more from my private university's PharmD program. Do you recommend living with parents or venturing out while in Pharmacy School? Is it best to see how my P1 year goes, then make changes as necessary?

Last edited:

Pancakesteve

5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm assuming you're 21-23 if you're in your senior year of undergrad? While the desire to move out and explore may be strong, it's a wiser idea to stay at home. At least for another year. Not having to take out extra loans to pay for housing will be very beneficial to you. And if you've had enough of living at home after a year or two in Pharmacy school, you can move out. A nice compromise.

Mar 20, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I'm assuming you're 21-23 if you're in your senior year of undergrad? While the desire to move out and explore may be strong, it's a wiser idea to stay at home. At least for another year. Not having to take out extra loans to pay for housing will be very beneficial to you. And if you've had enough of living at home after a year or two in Pharmacy school, you can move out. A nice compromise.
Yes, I am 21. My mother is urging me to live at home for another two years, then join the Air Force to help alleviate the loan debt from Pharmacy School as well as be able to move out and live on my own comfortably with a stipend from the Air Force program. I'm not sure if that's what I want to do though...there's no turning back once you make that decision.

Pancakesteve

5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yes, I am 21. My mother is urging me to live at home for another two years, then join the Air Force to help alleviate the loan debt from Pharmacy School as well as be able to move out and live on my own comfortably with a stipend from the Air Force program. I'm not sure if that's what I want to do though...there's no turning back once you make that decision.

See, you're young. If you get in and graduate from Pharmacy school you'll be 25-26. That's plenty of time to pay off student loans. Just work hard and apply for every scholarship under the sun. That will also help alleviate the debt.
If you'd only be joining the Air Force to help pay for school, you'll probably be miserable.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
What's the urge from your mom suggesting you join the military? Have you expressed any desire to do this in the past?

Personally, I'd move out. Maybe after the first year, once you meet some people and get used to pharm school. But it's only with moving out that you can really grow up. I didn't even live at home during college, but I still had my dad's help with some bills. Once I got to grad school, I slowly advanced to doing everything by myself (except my dad helped with my taxes for a few years until I got married).

Loans are hard, though. You can get a job as an intern, and there are a few scholarship plans for some national pharmacy chains where they help with school costs, and in return you work for them for the same number of years after you graduate. I don't know if I'd do that, because they can send you anywhere, but if you're worried about the money, I'd consider it.

CK8652

PUDDING!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Status
If you can study at home, live at home. If anything, you should have moved out for undergrad and moved home for graduate. Not going to be much time for partying sweety!

boltdude

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Living at home is a godsend during pharmacy school IMO. No need to pay for rent, food, etc. Easily can save up to $20,000+ a year. It's a no brainer

pharmD eighty7

I smoke rocks!
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Tennessee
Status
Pharmacy Student
Living at home would be the smart thing to do. I am sure you are ready to move out, but it is def worth it to stay at home. Joining the Airforce is unnecessary in my opinion. unless you want to sign away four years, I would just pay on them after school asap.

PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Living at home is a godsend during pharmacy school IMO. No need to pay for rent, food, etc. Easily can save up to $20,000+ a year. It's a no brainer
I don't see how you could spend $20,000+ a year by yourself... but I agree with the rest, live at home.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't see how you could spend $20,000+ a year by yourself... but I agree with the rest, live at home.
You live somewhere cheap.

After utilities and necessities for my place, it's just under $1700/mo.

You can't rent a 900 sq. ft place everywhere for 500 bones you know.

Jun 11, 2009
dirty h0t south
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you're comfortable with it, go ahead.

Personally I ran out the door smiling when I was 18 lol
Heck yeah me too! I left the same month I turned 18! lol There were times when I didn't want the bills anymore, but every time I stay at home I remember how it was kind of worth it.

I think if someone is already used to living at home they should probably stay their first year and see how it goes just to save money though. Just remember that once you leave it's a lot harder to move back home (at least for me anyway). If you ever need to move back to save money I feel like it's a big transition. I kind of wish I had the money that I blew on all these bills from the past few years, but I had no choice to live at home, and honestly it's just money I'm sure I'll get more one day. LOL I'm really very cheap when it comes to saving money so it's not like I'm financially irresponsible, but I also don't plan on changing my lifestyle much when I am making a decent salary so I'm not worried about every little penny that I borrow.

I did when I was in undergrad. Rent alone without utilities was 12,000/year... times are rough. LOL

Jun 11, 2009
dirty h0t south
Status
Pharmacy Student
You live somewhere cheap.

You can't rent a 900 sq. ft place everywhere for 500 bones you know.
People think I am crazy for being so excited about leaving south Florida for Georgia, but then I remind them why I'll be smiling every month when I write that rent check. LOL

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Depends. If you can find a cheap place where you won't need to have a car, it might actually be beneficial to stay somewhere near campus. I don't think it would hurt to look at the "rooms/shares wanted" section on Craigslist before arriving to a final decision.

My apartment is 40 min drive from where my parents live (without traffic), but the price for rent/utilities ends up only like 500-700 bucks per year more than if I had to get a car and buy gas/insurance (not counting the cost of the car, since I'll still have to get one for rotations when I will move home).

lmaonadestand

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I've lived at home for 2.5 years of my undergrad career. I think that if you can do it, and if you're willing to, you should go for it. It does save a lot of money, especially if you live kinda close to campus. My parents' place is 1 hour away when there's a lot of cars on the road, so it sucked for me. I got fed up with dealing with family issues (there's 5 of us in the house) so I moved out for my last semester. Biggest issues for me were the drive, family keeps bothering me (with good intentions, but I need to f...ing study), can't get really drunk then take a bus or walk home, and can't have friends and girls over.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Consider the maximum amount of loans you can take out for one year. Then calculate your rent, living costs, bills, etc. If you can afford it and still go to school at the same time, then move out. If not, then live at home and take out loans only for school.

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Do you have an on-campus option at all? At my school, there are some low-cost on-campus options, and the pharmacy school matches up incoming P1 students who request it so that you are with somebody in your class. I can see where maybe waiting a year until you meet some people you might actually want to live with would also be a good option. However, overall I side with the people who say move out. You will be unlikely to ever have another time in your life where you can be away from home but still have limited responsibilities (no kids, jobs, etc.) and you should enjoy that for all it is worth!!!!

pharmD eighty7

I smoke rocks!
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Tennessee
Status
Pharmacy Student
Consider the maximum amount of loans you can take out for one year. Then calculate your rent, living costs, bills, etc. If you can afford it and still go to school at the same time, then move out. If not, then live at home and take out loans only for school.
I disagree. Why not avoid the added debt if possible? It is that much less you have to pay back, with interest, when you get out....

Jun 9, 2009
Status
I disagree. Why not avoid the added debt if possible? It is that much less you have to pay back, with interest, when you get out....
Sometimes the extra debt might be worth avoiding the stresses and frustrations that might come with living at home for some people.

Jan 29, 2010
Southern California
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hey guys, I have a similar question. I'm planning to commute to pharm school, 40 min each way. It seems that the majority of you are suggesting it would be better to stay at home if you can. But I want to ask those people firsthand who have commuted before, how was your experience? How has it affected your studies? Your social life? Do you have time to work? Or take part in on-campus organizations?

I commuted for my undergrad (30 min each way) all four years, and it was tough to get to know people. So I didn't really have a real "crazy college" experience. I didn't go to parties, or hang out much. Not only was it due to the commute, but I think it's also because I'm sort of more on the introverted side. So I'm just wondering if I should just go ahead and live on campus, and maybe try to get that college experience that I missed out on. But someone has also told me that I won't have time to socialize much in pharm school anyway, and just leave all the fun for after you graduate. So I'm still undecided whether or not to commute. Any suggestions guys?

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Hey guys, I have a similar question. I'm planning to commute to pharm school, 40 min each way. It seems that the majority of you are suggesting it would be better to stay at home if you can. But I want to ask those people firsthand who have commuted before, how was your experience? How has it affected your studies? Your social life? Do you have time to work? Or take part in on-campus organizations?

I commuted for my undergrad (30 min each way) all four years, and it was tough to get to know people. So I didn't really have a real "crazy college" experience. I didn't go to parties, or hang out much. Not only was it due to the commute, but I think it's also because I'm sort of more on the introverted side. So I'm just wondering if I should just go ahead and live on campus, and maybe try to get that college experience that I missed out on. But someone has also told me that I won't have time to socialize much in pharm school anyway, and just leave all the fun for after you graduate. So I'm still undecided whether or not to commute. Any suggestions guys?
If you wait until after pharm school to socialize and meet people, you'll realize it's too late. Your classmates will be "too busy" since they will be working, have families and other commitments. Your socializing will be completely on your own and you'll be lucky if you meet another healthcare professional from socializing.

I commute about 20 minutes to school and most of my classmates do as well. But they tend to live close to each other and hang out quite a bit. I live kinda far from everyone, so I don't exactly get to socialize very much. That part sucks, because that just means I can't do anything else except study, and studying all the time can be boring and very depressing.

You won't have much time to socialize in pharm school if you try to graduate with honors or in the top of your class. If you want to do a residency for sure after graduating and you don't care much about getting to know your classmates, and you care more about knowing pharmacists, managers, program directors, etc, then that's what you should do. Most people don't want to do that though, so consider carefully.

From what I hear, people who live on campus or in the apartments fairly close to campus tend to see each other and hang out. When it comes to studying and looking at old tests, they have all kinds of connections, and you'll see them struggling less than you do when it comes to studying for exams. Sometimes I see how they aren't the smartest people in class, but they just somehow figured out how to study, and they do better than I do on exams. And here I am trying all I can to learn this material, and I just get what I get on tests.

Next year, I think I'm going to live somewhere closer, so I'll just see how that goes. My commute will be shorter too.

Sugadarlin

Focused
Mar 16, 2010
SoCal
Status
Pharmacist
Stay home, study at the library if there are too many distractions. Do not create unnecessary bills for yourself. Since you are 21, hanging out with friends shouldn't be an issue, just go out shoot your legal! Hang at their places or something, do NOT move if you can avoid it. I WISH I could live rent free!

Jun 11, 2009
dirty h0t south
Status
Pharmacy Student

I've done both, lived on campus and commuted. The only difference is that when I commuted I wasn't living at home, but had an apartment which I had to pay for. The reason it was so far was because the area I lived in was nicer and more affordable than if I lived closer to campus (which I had an apartment close to campus once too and didn't like it as much).

My commute was about 20 min NO traffic and an hour with traffic. Honestly I did miss that extra 30 min of sleep or hour of studying from the commute, but it was also worth it to have my own place away from school. My first 1.5 years I lived on campus, but I didn't really see a difference in social life. It's what you make of it. Yeah I felt more disconnected from campus when I didn't live there, but when I did live there a lot of my friends weren't even from the same college anyway (I met them through work, other activities I was involved in, etc).

Honestly, I agree with Bob about the whole socializing thing in pharmacy school. I have a feeling a lot of my classmates will be over the whole undergrad party party thing (I know I am) and have relationships, be married, responsibilities, etc. Even when I was in undergrad living in dorms it wasn't the crazy party scene it seems to be. My school wasn't a big party school though (Voted Playboy's number 1 party school - but let me tell you what a joke that is) Nonetheless, I plan on working a bit in pharmacy school and maybe doing some volunteer work etc so I can meet a mix of people.

IrishRxMan

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I would live at home only if your time for studying will be respected. I lived at home when I started pharmacy school to help save money and my time wasn't respected. It hurt me with my grades. I don't know your situation and how much your mom will give you room to study, but you need to weigh the slightly lower debt versus knowing the material well enough to do well in classes and pass the NAPLEX. The extra debt you would have is not horrible in the grand scheme of things.

I had debt from the main campus as well and you will most likely have close to $200K once you're done. But, you have 30 years to pay it off and it's a tax deduction. Don't focus too much on the debt because you'll have the time and money to pay it off. Be careful about signing on to anything that gives you money that requires time in return from you upon graduation. Like you stated, that may not be where you want to be once you're graduated.

Jun 11, 2009
dirty h0t south
Status
Pharmacy Student
I would live at home only if your time for studying will be respected. I lived at home when I started pharmacy school to help save money and my time wasn't respected. It hurt me with my grades. I don't know your situation and how much your mom will give you room to study, but you need to weigh the slightly lower debt versus knowing the material well enough to do well in classes and pass the NAPLEX. The extra debt you would have is not horrible in the grand scheme of things.

I had debt from the main campus as well and you will most likely have close to $200K once you're done. But, you have 30 years to pay it off and it's a tax deduction. Don't focus too much on the debt because you'll have the time and money to pay it off. Be careful about signing on to anything that gives you money that requires time in return from you upon graduation. Like you stated, that may not be where you want to be once you're graduated.
I agree... there is no way I could live at home and do well, but some people can. I'm probably also going to be at least 150,000 in debt when I am done, but I also don't really care because many people are in that ball park and do fine... plus I don't have dreams of buying a McMansion and a German sports car and having kids to support so I'll be fine with my loans I take out now. It's worth every penny in my eyes.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
If you're an only child (or if you will be an only child at home when you attend pharmacy school), then you might be able to get a lot of studying done at home.

Jul 27, 2009
Orlando
Status
Pharmacy Student
It's not like he's at a house where his parents are constantly bickering and he has 6 screaming siblings. Just him and his mom, two people in a single house, why would/should he move out?

Jun 9, 2009
Status
It's not like he's at a house where his parents are constantly bickering and he has 6 screaming siblings. Just him and his mom, two people in a single house, why would/should he move out?
I thought the OP was a girl.... er, I assumed the OP was a girl

nicolemsm

5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
parents are the worse when it comes to school.... at least in my experience, when i'm working on something @ home my mom and brother ask me what it's about so i constantly get distracted explaining stuff and if something interests them i'll have to share basically everything about it until they're fully satisfied and have a basic grasp on the idea.... not a good idea. i'm not easily distracted, but it gets annoying have someone look over your shoulder or ask questions about stuff

Jun 9, 2009
Status
parents are the worse when it comes to school.... at least in my experience, when i'm working on something @ home my mom and brother ask me what it's about so i constantly get distracted explaining stuff and if something interests them i'll have to share basically everything about it until they're fully satisfied and have a basic grasp on the idea.... not a good idea. i'm not easily distracted, but it gets annoying have someone look over your shoulder or ask questions about stuff
My parents usually never bother me when it comes to school work.

Maybe you could show them that you need some personal space while studying? Does that ever work?

hckyplyr

My fighting days are over
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
My parents usually never bother me when it comes to school work.

Maybe you could show them that you need some personal space while studying? Does that ever work?
Didn't you start a thread a few weeks ago about the same topic:If you should move out or stay at home? I'm going off memory but I thought you said you wanted to move out next year because your homelife is "stressful and hard to study", or something to that effect? Now, your saying your parents usually never bother you with schoolwork?!?!?! BTW I'm not writing this in an argumentative matter, but it just didn't make sense to me. What did you decide on anyways?

desmoulins45179

Waiting for the TARDIS
Apr 30, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Status
Pharmacy Student
My parents never bothered me when it came to school. Ever. I dormed for undergrad but when I would come home on weekends my dad wouldn't bother me. So it has always been really easy for me to study at home

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Didn't you start a thread a few weeks ago about the same topic:If you should move out or stay at home? I'm going off memory but I thought you said you wanted to move out next year because your homelife is "stressful and hard to study", or something to that effect? Now, your saying your parents usually never bother you with schoolwork?!?!?! BTW I'm not writing this in an argumentative matter, but it just didn't make sense to me. What did you decide on anyways?
That's true. I was talking about things not related to school work that would bug me. I did say stressful, but I didn't say hard to study, because I don't try studying at home except on the weekends.

I'll be living in one of the apartments on campus.

PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
But do you live with your wife? Regardless, I forgot how nuts rent for places like SF can be. Hopefully I'll never have to experience it... but we'll see.

THE MTL

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Status
Pharmacy Student
I would have suggested maybe living on campus for undergrad for the true college experience. But you completed undergrad and ur a senior. You've had your fun (hopefully) but now its pharmacy school (aka grad school aka professional school).

Its much wiser to stay home for you. Since you got into pharmacy school, ur grades must be top-notch and you did it while commuting. So why mess up something that clearly works for you. And you'll be saving ALOT of money!!

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
But do you live with your wife? Regardless, I forgot how nuts rent for places like SF can be. Hopefully I'll never have to experience it... but we'll see.
I do, yes, and so if I had a roommate (That'd be awesome in this cramped place, maybe s/he could live in the "family room"?) it'd be cheaper, but the difference is still absolutely atrocious... considering you can buy/mortgage a g-d 2000+ sq. ft house in Omaha where my wife is from for the same amount we pay for this apt.

Mar 20, 2010
Status
Pharmacist

I'm not a party person myself...so that aspect of living alone it's not really a big issue for me either.

Mar 20, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
What's the urge from your mom suggesting you join the military? Have you expressed any desire to do this in the past?

I never really considered it in the past, but recently I've been looking into it and it doesn't seem like such an unrealistic path for me to take. Primarily because it will pay for two years of school (about $60,000 for the Pharmacy School I may attend), but it will also allow me to travel and have more opportunities of leadership and promotion than in the civilian sector of pharmacy. My mother was in the Army for 18 years, so I'm not unfamiliar with the military lifestyle. I would only have to serve for 3 years and if it's not for me, then I can get out with a small debt from school and some experience to put on my resume.

I have basically grown up in my town (elem, middle, high school, college, potentially professional school). I didn't leave home for undergrad because I couldn't afford it, coming from a single-parent home. I could very well get a local retail or hospital job after pharmacy school and spend the majority of my life playing it safe and never really being out on my own and experiencing the world. That's a boring life in a way...i think i should experience more and see more. I still have a while to decide, but it's something that I think would be good for me. The medical and financial benefits are just a perk.

Last edited:

PharmEXP

Accepted Pharmacy Student
Nov 28, 2009
Tampa, FL
Status
Heck yeah me too! I left the same month I turned 18! lol There were times when I didn't want the bills anymore, but every time I stay at home I remember how it was kind of worth it.

I think if someone is already used to living at home they should probably stay their first year and see how it goes just to save money though. Just remember that once you leave it's a lot harder to move back home (at least for me anyway). If you ever need to move back to save money I feel like it's a big transition. I kind of wish I had the money that I blew on all these bills from the past few years, but I had no choice to live at home, and honestly it's just money I'm sure I'll get more one day. LOL I'm really very cheap when it comes to saving money so it's not like I'm financially irresponsible, but I also don't plan on changing my lifestyle much when I am making a decent salary so I'm not worried about every little penny that I borrow.L
You hit it right on the head. I tell myself every time I go, I love the home cooking but I could NEVER move in with my parents again after living on my own for 5 years.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Do you own home cooking, like I do!

EtohResearcher

Accepted Pharmacy Student
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
MOVE OUT ! i left when i was 18 to do my undergrad and found that the extra money you spend experiencing life on your own is well worth it.