Should I major in history or chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year student at a top 20 liberal arts college (50K plus a year) and I am thinking about majoring in history because I like writing and it is interesting. However, it is easier to major in chemistry because the pre-requisites fulfill the major requirements for chemistry. However, if I do decide to major in history, I will have to minor in chemistry.

Pros for majoring in history
-i am interested in history
-can maintain a high gpa as opposed to majoring in chemistry because it's easier
-if i do get into medical school, my undergraduate years will be the only time I study something outside of science

Cons for majoring in history
-horrible back up plan if i dont get into medical school

Pros for majoring in chemistry
-easier to do because pre requisites fulfill science requirements
-am somewhat interested
-great back up plan

Cons for majoring in chemistry
-Higher GPA will be more difficult because chemistry is hard

What should I do? Should I major in chemistry or history? If I do major in history but fail to make it to medical school, can I do something with a minor in chemistry so that I can make my application more competitive.

So far all I have done up to this point is volunteering and clubs my freshman year. During the summer I did chemistry research at my school. What extracurriculars should I do my sophomore year? (i am doing general chemistry tutoring, research, and treasurer for pre med club)

Am I on the right track folks? I will be taking biology and ochem my sophomore year.

Members don't see this ad.

major in history, your undergraduate degree is useless piece of **** no matter what you major in. Do what it takes to maximize your chances for medical school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, it doesn't matter what your undergraduate degree is in as it is nearly impossible to find a decent job in your major anyhow. Course there are exceptions (engineering, nursing, etc). Otherwise, it really doesn't matter. Do what you're more interested in and will get better grades in.

I agree with sylvanthus and mdapplicant123. Your undergraduate degree, even from an ivy league institituion, are pretty much useless if you don't have a high GPA. Do whatever you want that will maximize your chances for medical school If you don't get into medical school with a high gpa/ history major, you can always try reapplying.

First of all, don't just assume that history is going to be easier. Maybe you're not, and maybe you have thought it out, but history and chemistry require very different skill sets in order to do well. You should pick the one that fits your skill sets better, not the one that you think will give you an easier track to fulfilling the pre-requisites. That being said, I think you've already picked your answer by saying you enjoy history more.

Also, I'm just curious. How does the fact that you are paying 50k a year for school translate to that school being in the top 20? There are plenty of private schools that cost a lot that also are not top 20 schools.

I think that the other posters are wrong in some aspects, and right on others.

The economy aside, an undergraduate degree from an ivy school is not useless, in fact, no matter what subject you major in from a top school the name will get you a job. Again, the current economic situation aside.

However, they are right that most undergrad degrees, including chemistry, are not professional degrees (unless you are ACS certified I guess, but even then). Unless you major in engineering, business, or nursing, your undergrad degree is pretty much the same no matter what you pick to study. The bottom line is that if you know you want to go to med school you should pick the one you can do the best at. Sadly, non of us can really tell you what that is, no matter how much you may want that. I know how you feel too, I've changed my major about five times! But in the end I had to pick for myself, as will you.

Also, I'm just curious. How does the fact that you are paying 50k a year for school translate to that school being in the top 20? There are plenty of private schools that cost a lot that also are not top 20 schools.

Good point.

major in biology, microbiology, or physiology. If your school doesnt offer that degree I suggest you transfer to one that does. What degree you get does matter. The number of upper division science classes you have taken matters to adcoms. I'm a first year and most of Foundations of Medicine has been a review for me because I was a microbiology major. Dont waste your undergrad years taking useless classes.

i thought if you do just the prerequisites you would be fine...

major in biology, microbiology, or physiology. If your school doesnt offer that degree I suggest you transfer to one that does. What degree you get does matter. The number of upper division science classes you have taken matters to adcoms. I'm a first year and most of Foundations of Medicine has been a review for me because I was a microbiology major. Dont waste your undergrad years taking useless classes.

:thumbdown:

Are you serious? Wow, I've never seen such useless advice from a med student on here...

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from experience as a chemistry major, if I had to do everything over again I would have majored in history or only biology.

It seems like you know that chemistry is a tough subject for you (you keep saying it is difficult), as a student that wants to maximize their chances for medical school it is probably best you take the minimum chemistry classes that are required to apply. IE gchem+ ochem with lab. You don't want to get stuck studying useless subjects such as p-chem or analytical chemistry or inorganic chemistry ( i actually liked inorganic the best) or something like that.

Minus well go with the major that you enjoy and can succeed in rather than doing a major that might be harder that you might not enjoy.

The only reason I chose to enter undergrad as a chem major was because I wasn't necessarily aiming for med school, and I wanted to challenge myself. In highschool I wasn't the best in chemistry but I wasn't super bad at it, but really interested in it (I know this is probably the most ******ed thing anyone's ever done lol).

And for something that is difficult for someone, to get A's that person really needs to do work, whereas someone who is more naturally inclined can get by with less studying.

You should major in what you enjoy.

Chemistry is not that hard, and like my chemistry professor told a bunch of pre-meds that said chemistry was too hard to major in, "that's like saying it's too hard to drive to the marathon you are about to run"
Major in whatever interests you, but don't not major in Chemistry because it's "hard".

I'm a Sociology major here and went through the same feeling you went through. I have decided to stick with the Soc major b/c its whats interests me the most. I wasnt to study and learn about the things that are interesting to me, and not just major in bio/chem/micro etc. Major doesn't matter and I have had lots of friends go to med school with other degrees. Business/math/theater/and music just to name a few. Study what you like and can do well in, instead of get pressured into something that is hard for you. Adcoms don't look at this as a major turning point. You get the grades, EC, research, great interview etc. and you will just fine!

Are you serious? Wow, I've never seen such useless advice from a med student on here...

yes i'm serious, i've seen non bio majors struggle. do you honestly believe that someone who only takes the required classes will be as prepared for med school as someone who has also taken extra biology related courses?
If you're premed take anatomy, physiology, immunology, and histology if you can. trust me, it will help. it may not be the deciding factor for admissions, but it will help you when you start. and if you beleive you will be miserable as a science major you might want to reconsider applying to med school.

yes i'm serious, i've seen non bio majors struggle. do you honestly believe that someone who only takes the required classes will be as prepared for med school as someone who has also taken extra biology related courses?
If you're premed take anatomy, physiology, immunology, and histology if you can. trust me, it will help. it may not be the deciding factor for admissions, but it will help you when you start. and if you beleive you will be miserable as a science major you might want to reconsider applying to med school.

I think that if med schools were concerned that one would not succeed without these classes than they would be required. So, to answer your question, yes, I think it is quite possible to succeed with only the required classes. Further, while I have heard histology and immunology recommended on here, the vast majority of med students on here have either advised against, or been neutral on taking anatomy and physiology as an undergrad.

I have seen quite a few of you on here; you basically are only interested in science classes, were a science major, and think that everyone else who wants to be a med student should follow suite. I will remind you though, that some have broader interests and med schools do not look down upon that. If you have any data to prove otherwise, I will be happy to take a look and recant.

I think that if med schools were concerned that one would not succeed without these classes than they would be required. So, to answer your question, yes, I think it is quite possible to succeed with only the required classes. Further, while I have heard histology and immunology recommended on here, the vast majority of med students on here have either advised against, or been neutral on taking anatomy and physiology as an undergrad.

I have seen quite a few of you on here; you basically are only interested in science classes, were a science major, and think that everyone else who wants to be a med student should follow suite. I will remind you though, that some have broader interests and med schools do not look down upon that. If you have any data to prove otherwise, I will be happy to take a look and recant.

of course it is possible to suceed with any major. i'm not saying non science majors wont succeed, most do very well. you have to spend a certain amount of time in college, why not make the most of it and prepare yourself as best as possible for med school. I didnt start college as a science major. i was an aircraft mechanic. i changed my degree several times before deciding to go into medicine. the advice i gave is of course just an opinion. as a science major i still took many nonscience classes including quite a bit of psychology, some music, and many random humanities.

of course it is possible to suceed with any major. i'm not saying non science majors wont succeed, most do very well. you have to spend a certain amount of time in college, why not make the most of it and prepare yourself as best as possible for med school. I didnt start college as a science major. i was an aircraft mechanic. i changed my degree several times before deciding to go into medicine. the advice i gave is of course just an opinion. as a science major i still took many nonscience classes including quite a bit of psychology, some music, and many random humanities.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, and perhaps right in some regard. I'm sorry for coming off a bit harsh, but the only problem that I really had was with your first comment, which suggested that a bio-type major is the only appropriate one for a pre-med. I of course agree that one should prepare for the rigors of med school, but perhaps have a different opinion of what one needs to do in order to. As to your question about prep for med school; where I believe we differ is that I trust that the pre-reqs are sufficient prep, with perhaps a couple upper division courses mixed in. Being a doctor, IMO, requires more than just a knowledge of science, and I believe studying something different in undergrad may help one to touch on humanitarian aspects. I also just think a change subject matter is healthy.

I would recommend to go with what you like but minor in something like chemistry or biology. If you fail along the way and need a "backup," you will probably be able to find entry level work with said minor. If you want to earn money with your science degree, in today's economy, you'll need a masters, so you'd be in good shape to go right into a masters without having to take more classes in undergrad.

QFT

:thumbdown:

Haha, I'd love to say it's all flowers and roses and kittens and major in whatever you want, but roadrunr has a point. And a very good one. I don't know why you premeds are so ready to disagree...:p

Here's how I see it:

(1) Major in a humanities, fine arts, language, etc. etc. if you want to get IN to medical school.

- I double majored in two humanities areas (language and a fine arts), got lots of interviews, acceptances, nice healthy scholarship. My loans will be soo very low <3.

(2) Major in a relevant science field if you want to come into medical school with some background and do WELL.

- Yeah, so...about that anatomy class I should have taken in undergrad....:(

It's not impossible to do well in medical school if you major in something like history. I'm not even doing POORLY right now, per se, but I could imagine that I would put in less time and probably have a better outcome if I'd taken more bio classes. Bio majors most definitely have a leg up with course work and it's no secret.

If you can take anatomy, histo, and immuno, you will set yourself up WELL for med school.

You're saying I should major in humanities. I mean what's the point if you major in science and not even get into medical school.

Minus well go with the major that you enjoy

:scared:
Guys, this is clearly an alien trying to mimic humans so that he can more easily study us.

To say that someone should only major in a biology related field is, in fact, bad advice.

Further, you got accepted to med school, with money, and are doing well, yet still support that preposterous statement. Hmmm, am I missing something, or are you just agreeing with someone just because they are a fellow med student?

Last edited:
You're saying I should major in humanities. I mean what's the point if you major in science and not even get into medical school.

No, what everyone says on any thread like this is you should major in what you like and can do well in. If that is humanities, cool, if it is science, great, but we can't tell you what you like or are good at.

To say that someone should only major in a biology related field is, in fact, bad advice.

Further, you got accepted to med school, with money, and are doing well, yet still support that preposterous statement. Hmmm, am I missing something, or are you just agree with someone just because they are a med student?

OK, let's get serious. What do you think about Oregon vs. Washington in football this year? Personally, I can't wait. Even though I am applying to Washington for my surgical residency this year as well as OHSU, but Ducks vs. Huskies in football, my favorite Pac 10 game of the year. The Ducks have to beat Tennessee this weekend on the road, and then I will believe they are for real. The new quarterback for Oregon has to prove he is the real deal on the road in a hostile SEC stadium. Thanks, Masoli. I hope it was a great laptop.

OK, let's get serious. What do you think about Oregon vs. Washington in football this year? Personally, I can't wait. Even though I am applying to Washington for my surgical residency this year as well as OHSU, but Ducks vs. Huskies in football, my favorite Pac 10 game of the year. The Ducks have to beat Tennessee this weekend on the road, and then I will believe they are for real. The new quarterback for Oregon has to prove he is the real deal on the road in a hostile SEC stadium. Thanks, Masoli. I hope it was a great laptop.

Lots of Locker talk, lackluster results.

Ducks have to prove it this weekend, but I would give them the edge over UW.

After last week, Masoli has to believe in karma.

Unfortunately, the ducks will probably, and it pains me to say this, beat the huskies. However, the huskies may be one of those hidden teams this year...we'll see.

All comments related to "best teams" like this should be clearly stated:

"One of the best teams, outside of the SEC."

That second part is key...

Yet your post still gives no reason why tenn will beat the ducks.

Yet your post still gives no reason why tenn will beat the ducks.

Didn't you know that for an SEC fan, just stating that a team is in the SEC is enough reason to predict a victory? Because the worst team in the SEC would win any other conference. Duh.

Just messing with you Pons.

Should be a good game though. I don't know enough about either team to make a solid prediction.

I know I shouldn't respond. I know it. I am doing it anyway. :(

Well, it just depends on what your endpoint is.

Further, you got accepted to med school, with money, and are doing well, yet still support that preposterous statement. Hmmm, am I missing something, or are you just agreeing with someone just because they are a fellow med student?

Please read my post again :). I don't think anyone said you should *only* major in biology. I think taking as many science courses as you can may be helpful to your performance *in* medical school. Often, this may be accomplished by a biology (or related life sciences) major.

You might note, I gave reasons for why majoring in either humanities or science could be potentially beneficial to your future.

Major in whatever you want, in my experience, it doesn't matter.
Did my science background make first year slightly easier-at least first semester-sure a lil. Really though, there were only two non-prerequisite courses that helped at all: genetics (which I think more schools are looking for) and cell/molecular bio (depends what your ugrad calls it). In the grand scheme of things though it really doesn't matter. It's more important that I enjoyed my undergrad career and did well in my classes.

They'll teach you everything they expect you to know, at least at any decent school. So, in my experience it simply didn't matter what my background was-or that of my classmates for that matter-as we got taught what we were expected to know.

Please read my post again :). I don't think anyone said you should *only* major in biology. I think taking as many science courses as you can may be helpful to your performance *in* medical school. Often, this may be accomplished by a biology (or related life sciences) major.

You might note, I gave reasons for why majoring in either humanities or science could be potentially beneficial to your future.

Umm, no, maybe you should read through the exchange again. You thumbs-downed my post in which I quoted someone who suggested that any other major than a science is a waste of time, thereby endorsing that statement.