Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I Make Other Plans

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by coca-cola, Dec 22, 2005.

1. coca-cola

coca-cola Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

just have a simple question I am a Freshman and Iam probably thinking to far ahead but no harm in just wondering.

I took 14 hours first semester Bio,chem,wrtg, and intermediate algebra, which doesnt count so it ended up being 11 hours I got a "C" in bio, a "C" in chem, and a "B" in wrtg that ended up being a 2.273.

So with this said I was wondering if I get my "act" together for the remaining years. Do I still have a chance of being a good candidate for med school?

2. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  3. coca-cola

coca-cola Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks but this guy has "D's" though is it still the same for me

4. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    consider retaking those courses. if you're "traditional" age, you have plenty of time. but, it's SO competitive right now (and will likely be when you apply) that you just don't need that hanging over you.

don't get me wrong. i personally don't believe that should make you or break you, but it could be reality. you just don't need to give ANY ammunition to a school that is faced with a 2500 student surplus of qualified applicants. that seems to be reality today.

don't throw in the towel based on those grades though. that would be way unnecessary.

5. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You need to really do some thinking. Do you really want to do medicine that much? If you do, you have along road ahead of you, starting with doing a LOT better with grades from now on, through EC's, MCAT, graduating from undergrad, getting into med school, step 1 boards, 3rd year indentured servitude, step 2 boards, getting into residency, step 3 boards, getting into fellowship/applying for job...and beyond. By the time you'll be done with residency, remember, you'll be 31-33 years old assuming you don't/haven't taken any time off. I suggest you take some easier classes and think about it by volunteering/shadowing/talking to docs. The easier classes will allow you to bring up your GPA. Save the rest of the prerequisits for later. This way, if you decide to go for it, then you can concentrate and get your "act together". For now, go explore other classes, fields, and the medical world. You may find out you want to do something else, and you won't waste your time with prereq's, but if you do want medicine...strap in, and hang on, you're in for a long ride.

sscooterguy

6. Virgil

Virgil Hi hi!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How much benefit would retaking courses give you? I mean, AMCAS factors in every single grade that you recieve, whether you're retaking it or not, so the only effect is that you're factoring in more credits (with possibly a higher grade when you retake it), right? Couldn't the same exact effect be achieved by taking an easy course awarding the same number of credits as opposed to retaking a course?

The only benefit that I see is maybe raising your GPA at your undergraduate institution. Will the adcomms care if you retake it or not?

7. coca-cola

coca-cola Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

So i should probably retake at least one class that I got a "C" in?

8. jon stewart

jon stewart Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ohh crap not another one of these......

Yes if you get your act together your gpa will be very good in the end. You just started out so your culm gpa will change rather quikcly so get it up as high as you can by the end of the year.

9. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd say that you need to start generating straight A's immediately. Considering studying 6 hrs/weekday and 10-12 hrs/weekend day. And ask an academic counselor to help you with how you study. If you can't get straight A's by investing all of this time, then I'd say that it's not going to work out for you. Some people get into med school by shear intelligence, others by hard work. You need to produce one or the other, or both.