Should I make sure to not blink too much during my interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donovank730

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to miss an opportunity to make eye contact or have the interviewer think I am not paying attention to them. Is 3 blinks per minute a good amount?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't want to miss an opportunity to make eye contact or have the interviewer think I am not paying attention to them. Is 3 blinks per minute a good amount?

3 blinks is a bit on the low side, makes you seem a bit too invested
4 blinks is a bit too much, makes you seem anxious/jittery

3.5 blinks is where you want to be

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll save Goro the trouble. Xanax.

Reactions: 4 users
I like to blink as little as possible and lean in really close so they know I'm super serious about medicine
DoctorSerious.jpg

Last edited:
Constant, unblinking eye contact is definitely the way to go.

Keep your eyes open Clockwork Orange style.

article-0-1E9BAC3C00000578-488_634x360.jpg

This is the look I would go for - it shows interest.

Reactions: 13 users
You want your blinking rate to be in the 95th percentile. Bonus points if you blink in Morse Code.

Reactions: 3 users
You want your blinking rate to be in the 95th percentile. Bonus points if you blink in Morse Code.

I hear some schools will auto-accept if you can blink in the fibonacci sequence and maintain it throughout the entire interview. Make sure you don't mess up the 13th number (233), it's a tough one and your interviewer WILL be watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I hear some schools will auto-accept if you can blink in the fibonacci sequence and maintain it throughout the entire interview. Make sure you don't mess up the 13th number (233), it's a tough one and your interviewer WILL be watching.)

...and auto-graduation if you blink the proof to the Riemann Hypothesis.

Have the word "Accept" tattooed on each of your upper eyelids to make the most of those 3.5 blinks per minute.

Reactions: 2 users
On a side note, anyone have a recommendation for breaths per minute? I'm also planning on inserting a clear headphone into one ear and mic myself so I can be sure of the way I sound.

Reactions: 1 user
lmfao. oh man. this site always gives me new things to wonder about.

Make sure you get close to the interviewer too. Joe Biden does it perfectly:

biden-summ_3203729c.jpg

Reactions: 5 users