Should I make sure to not blink too much during my interviews?

Lancer

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I don't want to miss an opportunity to make eye contact or have the interviewer think I am not paying attention to them. Is 3 blinks per minute a good amount?
3 blinks is a bit on the low side, makes you seem a bit too invested
4 blinks is a bit too much, makes you seem anxious/jittery

3.5 blinks is where you want to be

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Sarcasm doesn't travel well over the electrons, alas.

You're getting tired of the "is it bad if I do/wear/say this?" memes too?

MrLogan13

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Keep your eyes open Clockwork Orange style.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2012
Earth
Status
You want your blinking rate to be in the 95th percentile. Bonus points if you blink in Morse Code.
I hear some schools will auto-accept if you can blink in the fibonacci sequence and maintain it throughout the entire interview. Make sure you don't mess up the 13th number (233), it's a tough one and your interviewer WILL be watching.

Last edited:

Yojimbo_OGT

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I hear some schools will auto-accept if you can blink in the fibonacci sequence and maintain it throughout the entire interview. Make sure you don't mess up the 13th number (233), it's a tough one and your interviewer WILL be watching.)
...and auto-graduation if you blink the proof to the Riemann Hypothesis.

Cpt Ahab

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
an event horizon
Status
Pre-Medical
On a side note, anyone have a recommendation for breaths per minute? I'm also planning on inserting a clear headphone into one ear and mic myself so I can be sure of the way I sound.

Reactions: mcatjelly

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
lmfao. oh man. this site always gives me new things to wonder about.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I don't want to miss an opportunity to make eye contact or have the interviewer think I am not paying attention to them. Is 3 blinks per minute a good amount?
Rule 1: Take a Breath

I am adding this my list of criteria for proposed inclusion of a new disorder in DSM-IV:

PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder

A disorder that is a psychotic reaction the events around applying to medical schools that manifests itself in the exclusion of rational thought. Seemingly highly intelligent, high achieving students are most susceptible to this disorder. Loss of major rational thought and reactions to unsubstantiated beliefs, rumors, innuendos, and other irrational and illogical cognitive processes. A form of collective behavior.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration