MansonTiles

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi everyone, I wanted some feedback, PLEAASe!

I got an F, my sophmore year of college, because the damn TA lady WOULD NOT excuse one of my absences, EVEN WHEN I SHOWED HER A DOCTORS NOTE!! i know, weird right? :(

all in all, i received an F because it was my second unexcused absence :scared: .....but i retook it, got a B, and now it has dipped my GPA because AADSAS will factor in ALL grades. :thumbdown:

DOES ANYONE THINK I SHOULD MENTION THIS IN THE LAST QUESTION OF THE "BACKGROUND SECTION"??? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

I mean, that was earlier college life, and I killed my LAST COUPLE years, SO they will SEE an upward trend!! i hope they do at least. :eek:

thats all, advice would be nice. bye. :oops:

coral2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Don't mention it unless they ask at the interview. However, when you retook the class, why didn't you get an A?

They might ask you to explain that later on.

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
MansonTiles said:
Hi everyone, I wanted some feedback, PLEAASe!

I got an F, my sophmore year of college, because the damn TA lady WOULD NOT excuse one of my absences, EVEN WHEN I SHOWED HER A DOCTORS NOTE!! i know, weird right? :(

all in all, i received an F because it was my second unexcused absence :scared: .....but i retook it, got a B, and now it has dipped my GPA because AADSAS will factor in ALL grades. :thumbdown:

DOES ANYONE THINK I SHOULD MENTION THIS IN THE LAST QUESTION OF THE "BACKGROUND SECTION"??? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

I mean, that was earlier college life, and I killed my LAST COUPLE years, SO they will SEE an upward trend!! i hope they do at least. :eek:

thats all, advice would be nice. bye. :oops:

I don't recall the background section asking if you have ever received an F in a class. Did the class lead to an academic probation? As far as F's are concerned I wouldn't really worry about it, everyone has a couple of classes that they're not too proud of. Focus instead on what you're doing right now and the progress you've made (especially if it comes up). The last thing you want is to get into a "defensive" mode during an interview. Have a brief and diplomatic response ready if they do ask you about it, and then move on and focus on the possitive. Oh, and take a deep breath and enjoy your weekend! :)

About the Ads

MansonTiles

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
sounds good you guys, thanks for the help! :)

i will DEFINITELY not mention unless asked otherwise. bye. good luck everyone.

bigsilvo

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
As long as its not on the transcript, don't mention it!!

MansonTiles

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
um...HOW would it not be on the transcript!

well, anyway, I JUST submitted my app, damn.. feels good not to look at the website for awhile!

bye. :)

aggie-master

Scrub
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
My advisor told us to try and not remind them of negative aspects of our application unless we really feel that it needs explaning.

I think you're better off not mentioning in your application, but be prepared to explain it if they bring it up in an interview.

bigsilvo

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
MansonTiles said:
um...HOW would it not be on the transcript!

well, anyway, I JUST submitted my app, damn.. feels good not to look at the website for awhile!

bye. :)

umm. if its a lower level course, at some universities if you retake the class it will be replaced with an R. The F won't show. In that case it would not be worth mentioning.

ivo0006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok, i have three retakes from my freshman year on my transcript and like you mentioned above, mine are replaced with R's on my official transcript and not the original grades; so basically while filling out my AADSAS, would I just put the retaken classes' grades and just mark them as retaken, or just put the retaken classes in there with no additional information?

bigsilvo

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
ivo0006 said:
Ok, i have three retakes from my freshman year on my transcript and like you mentioned above, mine are replaced with R's on my official transcript and not the original grades; so basically while filling out my AADSAS, would I just put the retaken classes' grades and just mark them as retaken, or just put the retaken classes in there with no additional information?

Okay heres what I was told by an advisor. If you get a replace grade in a lower division class, thats the beauty of getting it in a lower division class is that it is replaced with the R. That previous grade could be an F, D, C, whatever. AS long as there was no judicial action (cheating etc.) that caused you to have to retake that class, you don't have to report that grade. If you just flat out got an F, basically you don't have to report it because it was a retake. If by chance you had a judicial action taken upon you, it would be a matter of honesty in letting the schools know.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
bigsilvo said:
Okay heres what I was told by an advisor. If you get a replace grade in a lower division class, thats the beauty of getting it in a lower division class is that it is replaced with the R. That previous grade could be an F, D, C, whatever. AS long as there was no judicial action (cheating etc.) that caused you to have to retake that class, you don't have to report that grade. If you just flat out got an F, basically you don't have to report it because it was a retake. If by chance you had a judicial action taken upon you, it would be a matter of honesty in letting the schools know.

Not all schools replace the older grade with an R. Some schools leave the grade as is but don't calculate it in the overal GPA.

Mysteree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
tinman831 said:
Not all schools replace the older grade with an R. Some schools leave the grade as is but don't calculate it in the overal GPA.

hey tinman, what's up!! are you all set to go to Tufts?? or are you still holding out for Pitt?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.