Should I mention being gay in my interview even if it has a lot to do w/ my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LionDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They ask you about your challenges and overcoming something... I want to talk about to coming out gay in a D1 sport where there are relatively no out gays... I'm still caught in a crux over this. Btw the interview is at an East Coast school!

Members don't see this ad.

If your PS talks about the challenges you've overcome coming out of the closet, then I would assume admissions has already read it before calling you for an interview. If what you're concerned about is that you might possibly face discrimination. I think you'll be fine. Admission boards that are biased against you being gay most likely wouldn't call you for an interview.

But if what you're asking is if it's a good idea that rehash what your PS says, then I don't think that's a problem either. I wouldn't quote it exactly, though.

what does coming out as gay mean? like i would think it's inappropriate for a heterosexual man to go to a locker room full of dudes and pretty much say, "I love plowing [insert genitalia]". why do people have to announce it? just live your life as a gay man or woman like it's a normal thing instead of telling everyone how you're different and special in one very particular aspect of your life which is private almost 99% of the time in a bedroom behind closed doors.

usually people announce things only if they're vices that require recognition that it is a problem prior to overcoming that particular vice...by coming out as gay, does it mean that you view being gay as a vice? #showerthoughts

anyways, that qualifies as a challenge that you overcame even at the risk of suffering persecution and becoming ostracized.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what does coming out as gay mean? like i would think it's inappropriate for a heterosexual man to go to a locker room full of dudes and pretty much say, "I love plowing [insert genitalia]". why do people have to announce it? just live your life as a gay man or woman like it's a normal thing instead of telling everyone how you're different and special in one very particular aspect of your life which is private almost 99% of the time in a bedroom behind closed doors.

usually people announce things only if they're vices that require recognition that it is a problem prior to overcoming that particular vice...by coming out as gay, does it mean that you view being gay as a vice? #showerthoughts

anyways, that qualifies as a challenge that you overcame even at the risk of suffering persecution and becoming ostracized.
I agree with you. To be honest OP, no one cares. They already gave you an interview. If you decide to mention it as an answer to a question regarding struggles, then you could mention it. Otherwise, it is completely irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I personally am attracted to donkeys.... it's been a tough life getting judged for it when I'm seen with one. It's in my personal statement... Will dental schools pity me and give me acceptance? =(. Serious question. I haven't come out to my friends and family yet that I'm currently sharing a flat with one.

They ask you about your challenges and overcoming something... I want to talk about to coming out gay in a D1 sport where there are relatively no out gays... I'm still caught in a crux over this. Btw the interview is at an East Coast school!
Unless your struggles somehow had a major impact on your journey to becoming a dentist, don't. If you don't want to be judged on sexuality but the hard work that got you to were you are then leave it out. I am pretty sure they legally can't reject you for being gay but it's really not that important for this process.

Got in Maryland but rejected from one other school so alls well :)

I agree with the majority here. Writing about it in your PS should be ok if it means a lot to you, but don't try to bring it up during interview unless someone mention it. If I were interviewer and you randomly started talking about how you are gay, I would assume that you are trying to play the gay card as URM status and I'll call you out on that/reject you.

Gay in a D1 sport, username "liondds" has an O I S and so does Missouri.
You can't hide from me Michael Sam, I know it's you

As a gay man myself, I can really empathize with what you are trying to do. In regards to others thinking this is no big deal...you would be wrong. You try being part of a marginalized group that is still fighting to have equality in the work place, school, in social settings, public venues, transportation, etc. At any rate, I think you shouldn't mention it for the sole purposes of pulling some type of minority card unless you feel your minority status somehow provides you a certain level of competitiveness that is not evident in your overall application. Certainly put your marriage status on the application (if you are gay and married), fill the appropriate sections out as any of our heterosexual counterparts would, and if they catch on to that in the interview, I would use it as a means to help them see why being out, gay, (and married?) has somehow impacted your life in the pursuit of becoming a professional dentist.

I grew up in a traditional conservative household in central Texas...dad is Catholic and mom is Baptist, so I get to hear the snide, smartass comments about black people, latinos, gays, etc. when I was growing up. Seriously, when you are part of a historically marginalized group of people...you do start to voice that concern, identify with others and let people know that it is bull**** to pass judgement without knowing someone.

The way I see it is, if you are out and comfortable as you say you are, then if you find a program that has their heads up their asses, seriously, run the other way, you do not need to give them thousands of dollars and 4+ years of your time to deal with dip ****s when you can go to a different program that would treat you well. (This is coming from someone who has applied to Ph.D. programs and previous master's programs).

Reactions: 2 users
I would not mention this in an interview. Unless-they specifically ask about an adversity you faced. They likely will not. They last 20 minutes sometimes longer up to 45 (many variations in different schools), and they have standard questions they usually ask. Many of those would not dictate opening up that door. If I was interviewing you, and I asked you a question that had nothing to do with your sexual orientation, yet you brought it up, I think I might feel like a sympathy card was pulled. But, if I asked you about overcoming a particular hardship in your life and you mentioned it, I would feel like you answered the question incredibly well-because it would be coming from the heart. I don't feel schools are rejecting applicants due to their sexual orientation (or, not being straight). I could be naive, but I am at a school that has one gay student (that we know of), and another just got accepted in the freshman class. We only have two classes because the school is new. So, I think that is a good start.