Should I mention day trading in secondaries & interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CantStop_WontStop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since many that aren't familiar with financial markets, and even some who are, tend to view it as a form of gambling, I'm wondering how adcoms may take it. I don't day trade for as a form of significant income (because I've never had the capital backing to do it full time), however it's been a hobby of mine for several years and I've grown to be profitable at it. It's also taught me several skills and built my character in a way that I find relevant to a fast paced and high stress field such as medicine. So I ask, is this something I should elaborate on as a passion/hobby outside of medicine, or keep it quiet?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were reviewing your app - which I'm not - I would be interested by that. You're going to definitely need a more conservative (adcom) opinion on this (@Goro) but I think this is actually interesting and if you can spin it to what you have learned and how it has benefited you (besides making $$), then it may be helpful for your app.

I think it would be interesting to mention.

Since many that aren't familiar with financial markets, and even some who are, tend to view it as a form of gambling, I'm wondering how adcoms may take it. I don't day trade for as a form of significant income (because I've never had the capital backing to do it full time), however it's been a hobby of mine for several years and I've grown to be profitable at it. It's also taught me several skills and built my character in a way that I find relevant to a fast paced and high stress field such as medicine. So I ask, is this something I should elaborate on as a passion/hobby outside of medicine, or keep it quiet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. One of the major qualities it's helped me to develop is decisiveness by forcing me to overcome "analysis paralysis", and the ability to make decisions in very little time with limited information, as well as how to control my emotions and not let them cloud my judgment in stressful situations. It's also enhanced my analytical/problem solving skills, money and risk management, and speed of calculations, among other things.

I wouldn't center your personal statement on it or anything, but I think it's worth adding. It'll give you something unique to talk about.

As long as you don't come off as "wolf of wall street"-esque, you should be good.

Yeah I'm definitely more interested in using it as a response to the "what else do you do that isn't medically related" type of questions, as well as a response to something that has helped develop useful skills and character. I didn't mention it in my personal statement or anything because I wasn't sure of what the personal thoughts of adcoms are on the subject, and it wasn't a priority compared to other things I wrote about, it's just something extra about myself that I find interesting and useful. Thanks again.

As long as you don't come off as "wolf of wall street"-esque, you should be good.
I wouldn't center your personal statement on it or anything, but I think it's worth adding. It'll give you something unique to talk about.